Zone1 Explain This

IM2

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 11, 2015
In discussing race in this forum we see all kinds of stereotyped factless comments coming primarily from the right. The common claim is that if blacks got motivated, educated, and worked hard we can succeed because white racism isn't the problem. Here we see an example of blacks doing everything that right wingers say blacks should do and still racism limited their opportunities.

I pushed my kids to succeed academically to escape racism. But it doesn't work that way

Moms everywhere are suffering from burnout. But Black mom burnout is different. As a Black mother to two teenage sons and a toddler daughter, I find myself wondering: Will my children be perceived as a threat and cut down in their prime because of their race? Will they miss out because they’re invisible to whoever is passing out the opportunities? Do they have to be perceived as perfect to get any chance to seize their dreams?

Many people of color often turn to the one tool we have in our own shed — the instinct to try to outwork any negative perceptions of us, to tackle the questions that haunt us like the spirits of our ancestors. We’re taught to overwork to prove ourselves beyond the reach of racism and to render racist stereotypes unbelievable or even laughable.

But is this tendency to overwork — and our tendency to encourage our children to do the same — an attempt to outrun systemic issues beyond our control?

Growing up in Tennessee, I was taught working hard was the key to everything — happiness, upward mobility and rising above racism in the South. And while I consider my work ethic one of my greatest gifts, it seems the neat equation of “racism + hard work = less discrimination” doesn’t always add up.

“Work twice as hard to get half as much” was the mantra many of us were raised on, but it is considered by most Black moms today to be played-out advice from our parents’ generation. Despite that, racism and its effects haven’t expired, and in many ways, they’ve been given new life in this era.

Op-Ed: I pushed my kids to succeed academically to escape racism. But it doesn't work that way

The problem with those who call themselves in opposition is the fact that they believe things that do not apply to the way blacks are raised. Perhaps if you are white and don't put in the effort, you will not not suceed. Perhaps if you are white and don't focus on education you will fail. But when we as blacks try talking to you about this you need to stop pretending that white racism is not a hurdle. Whites do not face this:

“I can say for sure that happens because I did it. Before retirement, I was an Engineer. For the last 20 years of my career, I was a Manager and Director and I hired hundreds of people. I reviewed well over a thousand resumes for all kinds of positions. Everything from Secretaries to Engineering Managers. Both Salary and Hourly. I always culled out the resumes with Black Ethnic names. Never shortlisted anybody with a Black Ethnic name. Never hired them.” Since the Fortune 50 company I worked for had a stupid “affirmative action” hiring policies I never mentioned it to anybody and I always got away with it. A couple of times I was instructed to improve my departmental “diversity” demographics but I always ignored it and never got into any trouble. My stereotype is that anybody with a stupid ghetto Black ethnic name is probably worthless. I could have been wrong a couple of times but I was also probably right 99% of the time. Glad I did it. I would do it again.”

So explain why blacks can do everything you guys claim we need to do and still face racism. This thread is not about your ignorant factless opinions about blacks, black crime, Asians or everything else you guys do to avoid discussing the impact of white racism. So any and all off topic posts will be reported from the start. So you have two choices, explain why blacks do everything you guys say we need to do but still face white racism, or don't post in this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Will my children be perceived as a threat and cut down in their prime because of their race?
Probably, because blacks are the most dangerous race, statistically speaking. If you want to change that then change the “black culture” that promotes violence.

If y’all were like Carlson from Fresh Prince of Bell Air, you’d have the same reputation as Asians.

Well uhh yea….because blacks have the highest rates of fatherless families.

A woman is either married to the government or a man.
So this is why blacks who get educated, work hard, get good grades still face racism.

Explain this:

“The median white single parent has 2.2 times more wealth than the median black two-parent household and 1.9 times more wealth than the median Latino two-parent household.”

Amy Traub, Laura Sullivan, Tatjana Meschede and Thomas Shapiro, DEMOS, The Asset Value of Whiteness: Understanding the Racial Wealth Gap, pg. 10 https://www.demos.org/sites/default/files/publications/Asset Val ue%20of%20Whiteness_0.pdf

Hate to break it to you but blacks aren’t the only ones that face difficulties in life. Every road block isn’t automatically “systemic racism”. White people get pulled over by cops too.
This thread shows that racism is a problem. So just move on because your opinion does not matter. You were asked to explain why blacks do everything you guys say and still face racism. This is not about what white people face according to you.

So you have two choices, explain why blacks do everything you guys say we need to do but still face white racism, or don't post in this thread.
99% of us don’t have any issues with black people that are just normal and work hard and stay out of trouble. Everyone is just trying to survive and make a decent living for themselves.

I think what pisses white people off is the indignant attitude above all else. When you act like you are entitled to some great easy life. As if whites haven’t been through tough times themselves.

You‘re free to move to Africa if you are so terrified of whites and racism.

Another point, multiculturism is a farce and a lie. Different cultures cannot coexist. There can be only one dominant culture. Our white, Western culture is the most tolerant of any culture in the world when it comes to “outsiders”. Show us one African or Asian culture that welcomed outsiders and gave them all the same rights as their own. Never happened. And what do we get for being so nice and allowing other cultures and people into our own society? You complain and call us racists.

“The median white single parent has 2.2 times more wealth than the median black two-parent household and 1.9 times more wealth than the median Latino two-parent household.”
What are their education levels? IQ?

We don’t see us white crying about how on average Asians are doing so much better than us.

99% of us don’t have any issues with black people that are just normal and work hard and stay out of trouble. Everyone is just trying to survive and make a decent living for themselves.

I think what pisses white people off is the indignant attitude above all else. When you act like you are entitled to some great easy life. As if whites haven’t been through tough times themselves.

You‘re free to move to Africa if you are so terrified of whites and racism.

Another point, multiculturism is a farce and a lie. Different cultures cannot coexist. There can be only one dominant culture. Our white, Western culture is the most tolerant of any culture in the world when it comes to “outsiders”. Show us one African or Asian culture that welcomed outsiders and gave them all the same rights as their own. Never happened. And what do we get for being so nice and allowing other cultures and people into our own society? You complain and call us racists.
Again, no one has asked for your opinion about blacks or what pisses whites off. Frankly, I don't give a rats behind. Explain why blacks do everything whites like you say we should do and still face racism or post elsewhere.

What are their education levels? IQ?

We don’t see us white crying about how on average Asians are doing so much better than us.

The OP has made the circumstances very clear. Asians have nothing to do with this nor does what you think white people don't do. Explain why a single parent white family earns more than the two parent black family that whites like you tell us we need to have.

Again, no one has asked for your opinion about blacks or what pisses whites off. Frankly, I don't give a rats behind. Explain why blacks do everything whites like you say we should do and still face racism or post elsewhere.
Well for starters you don’t do everything we say you should do.

The OP has made the circumstances very clear. Asians have nothing to do with this nor does what you think white people don't do. Explain why a single parent white family earns more than the two parent black family that whites like you tell us we need to have.
I did. Intelligence.

Just because you don’t like my answers doesn’t mean I am going to change them for you.

Well for starters you don’t do everything we say you should do.
We don't have to do what you say because the reason you have what you do is not for the reason you say. But what has been presented in the OP are blacks who have done everything you guys claim we need to do and still face racism.

You have no explanation, all you have is the usual lame right wing white garbage..

We don't have to do what you say because the reason you have what you do is not for the reason you say. But what has been presented in the OP are blacks who have done everything you guys claim we need to do and still face racism.

You have no explanation, all you have is the usual lame right wing white garbage..
So how are they “facing racism” if they are successful?

Queue the millionaire blacks that are always claiming they are victims.

Blacks are the most privileged class in America.

I did. Intelligence.

Just because you don’t like my answers doesn’t mean I am going to change them for you.
No you didn't. These people have graduated from college with high grades. So you have not explained anything. You have only regurgitated factless anti black white bias.

No you didn't. These people have graduated from college with high grades. So you have not explained anything. You have only regurgitated factless anti black white bias.
How could I possible know the details of any one of their lives. They are giving their “story”. But what is the whole truth? Are they idiots with college degrees? There are plenty of whites with college degrees that are dumb and can’t find any real jobs.

Explain why blacks can do everything you guys claim we need to do and still face racism. This thread is not about your ignorant factless opinions about blacks, black crime, Asians or everything else you guys do to avoid discussing the impact of white racism. So any and all off topic posts will be reported from the start. So you have two choices, explain why blacks do everything you guys say we need to do but still face white racism, or don't post in this thread.

Explain why blacks can do everything you guys claim we need to do and still face racism. This thread is not about your ignorant factless opinions about blacks, black crime, Asians or everything else you guys do to avoid discussing the impact of white racism. So any and all off topic posts will be reported from the start. So you have two choices, explain why blacks do everything you guys say we need to do but still face white racism, or don't post in this thread.
^^ this guy:
”Tell me why we face racism!”

”No one wants to hear your opinion, racist!”

How could I possible know the details of any one of their lives. They are giving their “story”. But what is the whole truth? Are they idiots with college degrees? There are plenty of whites with college degrees that are dumb and can’t find any real jobs.
Stop making excuses... Read the article that I linked, then explain how these guys can do everything you guys say we need to do and still face white racism.

^^ this guy:
”Tell me why we face racism!”

”No one wants to hear your opinion, racist!”
Your opinion had nothing to do with the information presented in the OP.

Forum List

Back