Ex-Maryland man who joined al-Qaida sentenced at Guantanamo

EvilEyeFleegle

Dogpatch USA
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 2, 2017
Twin Falls Idaho
Wll..some progress in our lil concentration camp in Cuba--an actual sentencing~

A military jury imposed a sentence of 26 years Friday on a former Maryland man who admitted joining al-Qaida and has been held at the Guantanamo Bay detention center. But under a plea deal, the man could be released as soon as next year because of his cooperation with U.S. authorities.
The sentencing of Majid Khan is the culmination of the first trial by military commission for one of the 14 so-called high-value detainees who were sent to the U.S. naval base in Cuba in 2006 after being held in a clandestine network of overseas CIA detention facilities and subjected to the harsh interrogation program developed in response to the 9/11 attacks.
Khan, a 41-year-old citizen of Pakistan who came to the U.S. in the 1990s and graduated from high school near Baltimore, earlier pleaded guilty to war crimes charges that included conspiracy and murder for his involvement in al-Qaida plots such as the deadly bombing of the J.W. Marriott hotel in Jakarta, Indonesia, in August 2003.
This 2018 photo provided by the Center for Constitutional Rights shows Majid Khan. A military jury imposed a sentence of 26 years Friday, Oct. 29, 2021, on Khan, a former Maryland man who admitted joining al-Qaida and has been held at the Guantanamo Bay detention center. But under a plea deal, the man could be released as soon as next year because of his cooperation with U.S. authorities. (Center for Constitutional Rights via AP)
© Provided by Associated Press This 2018 photo provided by the Center for Constitutional Rights shows Majid Khan.
He apologized for his actions, which included planning al-Qaida attacks in the U.S. after 9/11 and a failed plot to kill former Pakistan President Pervez Musharraf. During a two-hour statement to jurors on Thursday, he said: “I did it all, no excuse. And I am very sorry to everyone I have hurt."
The jury of eight military officers was required to reach a sentence of 25 to 40 years. Jurors heard of Khan’s extensive cooperation with U.S. authorities following his guilty plea and heard a two-hour statement from the prisoner describing his brutal CIA interrogation and captivity in the three years before he came to Guantanamo.

You mean we really can try them unlike the arguments went for so many years?

Well..this one..and the arguments continue...This guy had a plea agreement in place for a top of eleven years. He'll be out in Feb.
Of course, he did get renditioned and tortured by the CIA for three years..so there's that~

Does he cease being a Maryland Man because of a temporary relocation (albeit, a fairly long one)?

When I fly to London, am I an ex-American?
He is Pakistani...lived in Maryland for a while....became radicalized and joined Al-qaeda.
Helped blow up a hotel and kill 11 people.

Agreed 100%. Really, they probably should have just been killed where they were found. It was a war on terrorism, not a police sting on terrorism

If you read the facts surrounding many getting captured for many that would have been murder.

Brandon might want to consider a 450,000 reparation for his discomfort.

The guy was a terrorist and people died. Lock him up, I don't care if he was
tortured, he still has a head on his shoulders, so he's doing better than a lot of others.

Sure, we can try them in Cuba if we want.

But even if they were found innocent or their terms of imprisonment are over, they still need to be kept locked up until after the War on Terror is over.

After all, the war continues, and we can't allow enemy combatants to go back to fighting us.

During WW2, even those Germans and Japanese soldiers who were innocent were kept incarcerated until after the cessation of hostilities.

Forum List

Back