Ex-Judge Roy Moore Files Supreme Court Brief to Urge End to Marriage Equality

This is sickening, disgusting and heart breaking ! There is something seriously wrong with people who think that they have the right to control the lives of other people in the name of their distorted and bastardized version of religious liberty.

Same sex marriage has been the law of the land since June of 2015. Five years. Same sex couples have actually been getting married much longer than that in some states. Society has not been undermined and the institution of marriage has not been destroyed. In fact, in my estimation, is stronger when there is inclusion and the base is broadened.

Furthermore, it is not even an issue for the vast majority of Americans. These same sex couple have just become part of the social fabric and are an integral part of the community like everyone else. They work, they pay taxes, they volunteer, the maintain homes and establish families. And now they and their children can enjoy the same legal protections , financial advantages and social status as the rest of us take for granted.

And what will happen if Obergefell is overturned. No doubt some states- and we could pretty much name then- would halt such weddings. But it is unknown if they would, or could void the marriages that have taken place already. Straight people should consider how they would feel if their marriage was somehow annulled for some bogus religious reason- such as not being married in a church. They should think about how their lives would be upended by a cascade of legal and financial issues thrown at them.

It is clear to me that people like Davis and Moore have serious problems and suffer from something bordering on a religious psychosis. They have absolutely no compassion or empathy for the people who would be devastated by this.

I can think of no time in the history of this nation that a right was established and then revoked. It would truly be a dark day in America if such a thing were to happen . My only hope is that John Roberts, a conservative to be sure- but one who is also concerned about his legacy, and that of his court-would not let this happen.

When Obergefell v. Hodges was decided in 2015, Moore ordered Alabama judges to ignore the ruling. Moore was suspended for that action.

Same-sex marriage was legalized in 2015 by the Supreme Court's decision in the Obergefell v. Hodges case in which justices found that the Fourteenth Amendment protects both opposite-sex and same-sex marriage.

"The Foundation has an interest in this case because it believes that religious liberty is the foremost gift of God," the briefing read, "and Kim Davis was deprived of her religious liberty because of this Court's decision in Obergefell."

"In addition, the Foundation believes that the Framers of the Fourteenth Amendment did not intend for it to protect a right to same-sex marriage," the briefing continued.

This is sickening, disgusting and heart breaking ! There is something seriously wrong with people who think that they have the right to control the lives of other people in the name of their distorted and bastardized version of religious liberty.

Same sex marriage has been the law of the land since June of 2015. Five years. Same sex couples have actually been getting married much longer than that in some states. Society has not been undermined and the institution of marriage has not been destroyed. In fact, in my estimation, is stronger when there is inclusion and the base is broadened.

Furthermore, it is not even an issue for the vast majority of Americans. These same sex couple have just become part of the social fabric and are an integral part of the community like everyone else. They work, they pay taxes, they volunteer, the maintain homes and establish families. And now they and their children can enjoy the same legal protections , financial advantages and social status as the rest of us take for granted.

And what will happen if Obergefell is overturned. No doubt some states- and we could pretty much name then- would halt such weddings. But it is unknown if they would, or could void the marriages that have taken place already. Straight people should consider how they would feel if their marriage was somehow annulled for some bogus religious reason- such as not being married in a church. They should think about how their lives would be upended by a cascade of legal and financial issues thrown at them.

It is clear to me that people like Davis and Moore have serious problems and suffer from something bordering on a religious psychosis. They have absolutely no compassion or empathy for the people who would be devastated by this.

I can think of no time in the history of this nation that a right was established and then revoked. It would truly be a dark day in America if such a thing were to happen . My only hope is that John Roberts, a conservative to be sure- but one who is also concerned about his legacy, and that of his court-would not let this happen.

When Obergefell v. Hodges was decided in 2015, Moore ordered Alabama judges to ignore the ruling. Moore was suspended for that action.

Same-sex marriage was legalized in 2015 by the Supreme Court's decision in the Obergefell v. Hodges case in which justices found that the Fourteenth Amendment protects both opposite-sex and same-sex marriage.

"The Foundation has an interest in this case because it believes that religious liberty is the foremost gift of God," the briefing read, "and Kim Davis was deprived of her religious liberty because of this Court's decision in Obergefell."

"In addition, the Foundation believes that the Framers of the Fourteenth Amendment did not intend for it to protect a right to same-sex marriage," the briefing continued.

Hey Galt, is that reallt the most intelligent thing that you can come up with?

I am telling you. If our economy falters, big changes will happen! People go back to traditions when civilization is endangered. Either through some saved liberties or authoritarian rule.

so the mentally ill that dont like a government telling them who they can marry want that same government to say who they can marry,,,

wouldnt it be better to just get the government out of marriage???

so the mentally ill that dont like a government telling them who they can marry want that same government to say who they can marry,,,

Mentally ill people? Who are they?

Government out of marriage. Tell us what that would actually look like. How it would work. Present a comprehensive plan that would make sense in the context of what marriage has become and I'll consider it.

Mentally ill people? Who are they?

Government out of marriage. Tell us what that would actually look like. How it would work. Present a comprehensive plan that would make sense in the context of what marriage has become and I'll consider it.
mentally ill people that dont like the government telling them what to do and then expect that same government to give them permission to do what they just told them they couldnt,,,

marriage is a religious issue not a government one,,,

only the simple minded need the government in their personal lives,,,

I am telling you. If our economy falters, big changes will happen! People go back to traditions when civilization is endangered. Either through some saved liberties or authoritarian rule.

Yes, a bad economy does tend to bring out the bigots because hater's have to hate and blame someone. It would not surprise me if some morons came up with some theory about how gay marriage caused the economic turndown

This brief has nothing to do with Judge Moore's religious or moral beliefs. It was his LEGAL opinion, based upon what he sees as the intent of the writers of the 14th Amendment.

If you think that the folks who wrote and ratified the 14th intended to invent the Institution of Gay Marriage, that's certainly a different opinion than that of Moore.

There is nothing "disgusting" or "sickening" about making legal arguments before the courts.

Roy Moore knows this battle is lost, so at this point this is more about duping the last of followers to donate money to his foundation.

This brief has nothing to do with Judge Moore's religious or moral beliefs. It was his LEGAL opinion, based upon what he sees as the intent of the writers of the 14th Amendment.

If you think that the folks who wrote and ratified the 14th intended to invent the Institution of Gay Marriage, that's certainly a different opinion than that of Moore.

There is nothing "disgusting" or "sickening" about making legal arguments before the courts.

Agreed.

The OP, TheProgressivePatriot, poisoned the OP with his fucking opinion and all kinds of emotion.

This will play out and Moore will lose because conservatives don't support Moore and he has become a 1 man show.

Does not change the example set here that you can't have a discussion with words like sickening or disgusting being pulled in...especially when it is simply a legal discussion.

Obergefell will not be overturned by judicial action. It will take other means as it certainly has undermined much of our society. It will take a violent restoration of the social fabric. Just as what happened throughout history.

Roy Moore knows this battle is lost, so at this point this is more about duping the last of followers to donate money to his foundation.

How would he "know" that? Do you really think that the Framers of the 14th Amendment intended to create the institution of Gay Marriage? Moore doesn't think so, and I'm not so sure about it either.

In my view, the government has the right, power and authority to define what it will and will not recognize as a "marriage" as it sees fit, at least for the purpose of immigration and naturalization (iaw Article 1, section 8 of the constitution)

Gay marriage is not a big issue for me, beyond that. I think the government has the right and even the responsibility of defining what it will and will not recognize as a marriage.

If you want me to support Gay marriage, polygamy or incestual "marriage?" The onus is on you to convince me for why I should expand the definition of traditional marriage to include them.

Did you go full "Drama Queen" just a few years ago when Obama, Hillary, Biden, and the Democrat Party platform agreed with Moore?

I'll bet you didn't.

You can get out from under your bed now. Nobody is going to take your right to be buggered away from you.

Forum List

Back