EV's are the future

There are a lot of wrinkles that need to be ironed out before it's practical.

1. Cost. The batteries for just one EV run to the tens of thousands of dollars. A station would have to have enough batteries on hand for dozens, if not hundreds, of EV per day and the cost would run into the millions of dollars. They would then be targets for theft.
2. Risk of fire. Batteries burn hot, and storing thousands of them in close proximity is a recipe for disaster. Underground gasoline tanks at gas stations now present the same kind of danger, but it is greater with these batteries.
3. Charging capacity. A station would have to have a reliable source of electricity big enough to charge thousands of individual modules simultaneously.

These can be overcome, but need to be carefully considered. I'm thinking these would be in addition to being able to charge at home. At any rate, the national power grid would have to be rethought, and we would have to push local power generation at individual houses to pull it off.
We are pushing local power generation and storage at individual houses. That is what VPP's are all about. And then the is agri-voltaics. Yes, we have to rethink the grid, make it a distributed grid rather than a point source grid. And that is a good thing. It will make it more efficient and more robust.

EV's may be the future, they may not. One thing is certain, an alternative to ICE vehicles is certain.

As for your unlinked claims, thus opinion, EV's are not really much cheaper to run the ICE vehicles.

Servicing an EV costs 1.6 to 2.3 times more than an ICE vehicle -

And I read an article in the Free Detroit Press of a guy explaining the joys of owning an EV. Can cost up to 4 times to charge than buy petrol or diesel !! It's a good all round read.

EV's are just a stop gap to a much better viable option to replace ICE vehicles.
Fucking bullshit. To charge an 100 kw/hr battery, like that in a top end Tesla S, in Portland, Oregon, it will cost under $8.00. In the newest long range S that will get you about 400 miles. At 25 mpg in an equal sized vehicle, at $3.50 a gallon, those 400 miles will cost you $57.

Pricing periods.
Time of Use periodOn-peak
Time of Use price12.380 ¢ per kWh
Basic Service priceUp to 1000 kWh: 6.329 ¢ per kWh > 1000 kWh: 7.051 ¢ per kWh
Time of Use periodMid-peak
Time of Use price7.051 ¢ per kWh

EV's may be the future, they may not. One thing is certain, an alternative to ICE vehicles is certain.

As for your unlinked claims, thus opinion, EV's are not really much cheaper to run the ICE vehicles.

Servicing an EV costs 1.6 to 2.3 times more than an ICE vehicle -

And I read an article in the Free Detroit Press of a guy explaining the joys of owning an EV. Can cost up to 4 times to charge than buy petrol or diesel !! It's a good all round read.

EV's are just a stop gap to a much better viable option to replace ICE vehicles.
What the hell do you service on an EV? No oil change. No air or oil filter change. No anti-freeze to worry about. Maintenance is one of the big pluses of an EV. Far lower than for a ICE.

lol..........Ive been watching these EV prognosticators going on and on and on and on.........for 10 years now. About the batteries, ("Its coming within 5 years :deal: ) and the dozens of videos of 1,000hp EV's.

Heres the problem..........nobody is buying these things............still. Sales numbers continue to be laughable.......

2020 US Electric Vehicle Sales Report

Listen I get it.........some people are hyper-euphoric about EV's. But Americans just dont want them........as evidenced by Toyota producing zero electric cars. Those mofu's are smart........they know the American market......most other manufacturers have EV's in their lineup for one reason: to balance out the SAE standards so they can sell big-ass power conventional gas guzzling beasts!:rock::rock:...........d0y
Tesla is selling all that they are producing. And that production is increasing every year. Their Plaid S will run off an hide from any Detroit lead sled made. Denying reality will not only not stop that reality, it will not even slow it down. Soon when someone sees an old ICE clunker on the road, they will feel sorry for that poverty stricken individual. LOL

No ICE vehicle I have over estimates mpg at the rate that Tesla over rates theirs.

You keep talking about EV'S taking over yet they can't come close to competing in an endurance race. Formula E races for two thirds the distance of a regular F1 race, at 3/4 the speed, and they have to use two cars to even manage that.
As the batteries improve, the EV's will take over auto racing as they have standard sedan quarter mile races. No other production sedan can stay with the Plaid S. Or the EV's on Pikes Peak. Not even in the motorcycle class. A quick change battery with double the energy density of the present batteries will make the EV's more than competitive. For one thing, they can easily go the 4 wheel drive, with computer torque control on the wheels and avoid a lot of the spin outs you see presently.

Fucking bullshit. To charge an 100 kw/hr battery, like that in a top end Tesla S, in Portland, Oregon, it will cost under $8.00. In the newest long range S that will get you about 400 miles. At 25 mpg in an equal sized vehicle, at $3.50 a gallon, those 400 miles will cost you $57.

Pricing periods.
Time of Use periodOn-peak
Time of Use price12.380 ¢ per kWh
Basic Service priceUp to 1000 kWh: 6.329 ¢ per kWh > 1000 kWh: 7.051 ¢ per kWh
Time of Use periodMid-peak
Time of Use price7.051 ¢ per kWh
Read the article. It's one of your fellow Americans of what he experienced in the State where he lives.

If you think it's bullshit, I suggest you drive over to his in your EV and put him right. Don't forget to stop and recharge a billion times though.

What the hell do you service on an EV? No oil change. No air or oil filter change. No anti-freeze to worry about. Maintenance is one of the big pluses of an EV. Far lower than for a ICE.
You should know, what does the service sheet say on the Tesla you own?

It's obvious that you just believe servicing is solely on an engine and not the entire car. Good grief.

In the UK, the sale of new diesel and petrol cars will be banned from 2030. So to achieve this, the government are wanting/needing 700 on street charge points installed per day, from now till 2030.

And the new report has pointed out that we've achieved .........

.........23 per day.

EV's are the future!!

London has 87 per 100,000 population, the North West has 23 per 100,000 population. So start booking your charging slot for 2030 now!!

Yet Tesla ranks #1 in customer satisfaction.

You should know, what does the service sheet say on the Tesla you own?

It's obvious that you just believe servicing is solely on an engine and not the entire car. Good grief.
This gives the service recommendations for a Tesla;

EVs are definitely fucked.

Time will tell on the whole electric vehicle movement.

In the US it does underscore how far behind we are in terms of interstate mass transit. I was behind a Greyhound bus the other day. We were on an interstate highway for about 50 miles. I was behind it for a bit then I passed it; leaving it well behind. I pulled off, got some coffee, used the wash room and made a couple of phone calls. It took a good while; about 20-30 minutes. I got back on the interstate and was able to pass the bus for the second time. Those poor people on that bus going 60 mph for hours on end.

Meanwhile Montenegro has a train that does 125 mph (200 KMH or so). Montengro. Monte-fucking-ngro. Built by Spain. Spain. Fucking Spain.

Flying cars are the future ...

20180125182841-GettyImages-2737137.jpeg

This gives the service recommendations for a Tesla;

Listen, you are utter pro EV, irrelevant of all their failings. So it stands to reason that you own an EV and are utterly clued up where charge points are per population, the range of your vehicle, cost to recharge and cost to service. Yet somehow, you never quote your "real life" experiences, you say 'bollox' to everyone's links and never give your real life experience.

So the obvious conclusion is, you're full of shit. As Jordan Peterson says, 'Pseudo Moralistic Stances'. That means, you can't handle your own life, so you have to jump onto the bandwagon of some social topic, EV's and the climate to try and impress others and your friends.

So I suggest you practice what you preach for a change.

New Topics

Forum List

Back