EVs are literally pieces of crap after the first fender bender!

Have YOU ever driven 239-Miles and how much of your budget was for gasoline? How many times did you have to stop for gas, and much gas did you waste as you waited in line for the next over-priced gas pump.

Actually, it kinda depends on the car and your style of driving as well as the conditions being driven in. When I first got my Honda Civic, I took a trip from SC to visit my son in FL, and decided to see how long I could drive on one tank of gas. Made it all the way from Newberry SC to Jacksonville FL on just one tank of gas, and that was over 300 miles. Granted, when I pulled into the station, my idiot light had come on to tell me to fill up (still had 45 miles left in the tank though), and it cost me over 30 bucks to fill the tank (it's only a 13 gal. tank), but I was able to get over 300 miles in just one fill up.

And yeah.............you're right...............you DO have to budget for gas, especially when taking a long trip. If I ever decide to go visit relatives in Montana (from Newberry SC), based on the mileage I currently get with my car, it's gonna cost me roughly 210 to 250 dollars at a price of 3.15/gal to go one way.

I have never budgeted for gasoline. It was always an inconsequential cost of traveling. Bottom line is that EVs are little shit boxes with limited features inside that are ridiculously expensive to buy, expensive to insure, and very costly to maintain, very limited range, almost no place to plug them in, takes forever to recharge them, can burst into intense fires without warning, depend on child slave labor, end up polluting as much as a gas car, and if you get one in a fender bender, will likely be a total loss, thus, completely destroying any illusion of "saving the planet."

You've never budgeted for gasoline? Guess you never take long trips then. I stated in a post above that for me to go from Newberry SC to Great Falls MT (from where I live to where my relatives live), it would cost me around 210 to 250 dollars in gasoline alone to make it one way from here to there. Been thinking of taking a trip up there one day, but yeah, I'm gonna have to budget for it if I want to make it up there and back.

For day to day driving, around town and occasional trips into Columbia, I don't really think much about it, as I just consider it part of my day to day expenses, but for long trips, yeah, I'm gonna have to budget and plan for it so I don't get stranded.

As far as the rest of your post? Nothing more than just a bunch of anti EV rhetoric that might have been true around 20 years ago, but with the new tech that is being developed every day, it's not as much of a concern anymore, and it's becoming less and less as the tech gets better and better. There are current EVs out on the market right now that are capable of up to 400 miles on a single charge.

And while there are isolated instances (that some EV haters like to say happen with regularity) where EV's have caught fire, that's kinda rare. And, FWIW, ICE engines have also been known to catch on fire and burn the car to the ground.

Thieves slide under a car and saw it out. And low-to-the-ground cars are safe from all but the slimmest thieves.
But a big catalytic converter high off the ground is a juicy target.

Your own material shames you. I don't park or leave my car anywhere that someone could possibly do that, and besides, I need to put my car up on ramps just to change the oil. My CAT converter is recessed up in there and you'd have to put my car up on a rack to get at it!

BUT WHY STOP THERE! Why don't you create the fiction that someone might just loosen the motor mounts and steal my whole engine!!! Anything to distract from the fact that an EV has NO advantage, only DISadvantages, and it is looking like the ONE "advantage" EVs are sold for isn't likely to even be real in actual practice. But I admit the idea is cool, but I like a car that I know is on and running when it is.

So, I laugh at you, take your EV and blow it out your ass, I paid only $4K for a very nice feature packed car in like new condition with leather interior that seats five comfortably and climbs mountains like they ain't even there that costs me about $150 a year to operate, a few cans of oil and little else. Even my insurance is only $37/mo.

Sucks to be you. :21:

Just because you park YOUR car in a safe place when you are done with your day, doesn't mean that everyone else has that same kind of safety. And.............it doesn't just happen to cars that are parked for the night, thieves have been able to take them off of cars during the day as well, while people were shopping or taking care of their day to day business in town. And no, I'm not just grasping at straws.

Here's what Kelly Blue book has to say about it, as well as what the top cars are for having them stolen............

How Do Thieves Get Them?

The motive, then, is obvious. The method? Thieves slide under a car and saw it out. With a battery-powered reciprocating saw, it can usually be done in under a minute.

The process is loud, so your garaged car or your truck parked in a crowded place is probably safe. And low-to-the-ground cars are safe from all but the slimmest thieves.

But a big catalytic converter high off the ground is a juicy target.

And, here's some other articles talking about how it's become a pretty concerning crime...................

As well as an Amazon link where they are selling anti theft products to prevent catalytic converters from being stolen............

Theft of catalytic converters is a bit more prevalent than you appear to think.
I bet they are in SC, one of 4 states with more rednecks than we have

You've never budgeted for gasoline? Guess you never take long trips then. I stated in a post above that for me to go from Newberry SC to Great Falls MT (from where I live to where my relatives live), it would cost me around 210 to 250 dollars in gasoline alone to make it one way from here to there. Been thinking of taking a trip up there one day, but yeah, I'm gonna have to budget for it if I want to make it up there and back.

For day to day driving, around town and occasional trips into Columbia, I don't really think much about it, as I just consider it part of my day to day expenses, but for long trips, yeah, I'm gonna have to budget and plan for it so I don't get stranded.

As far as the rest of your post? Nothing more than just a bunch of anti EV rhetoric that might have been true around 20 years ago, but with the new tech that is being developed every day, it's not as much of a concern anymore, and it's becoming less and less as the tech gets better and better. There are current EVs out on the market right now that are capable of up to 400 miles on a single charge.

And while there are isolated instances (that some EV haters like to say happen with regularity) where EV's have caught fire, that's kinda rare. And, FWIW, ICE engines have also been known to catch on fire and burn the car to the ground.
I never budget for gas and I drive a 1/2 ton with a 36 gallon tank, if a person is budgeting for gas, they have other issues

I drive a KIA NIRO with a range of 239-Miles. You drive a gas guzzling internal combustion engine vehicle that requires you to fill the gas tank every other week or so. I drive a zero emissions vehicle. Your pollutes the air around us.

Oh, every time I drive the ARCO in Mill Valley, looking at that long line of cars and trucks and see the cost of just one gallon of gas I laugh my ass off.

I charge my vehicle at home, in my garage. You stand in the wind, rain and snow.

Grow the fuck up.
An EU commissioned report found that EV's only reduce your vehicle carbon footprint compared to an equivalent ICE vehicle by 17% to 30%. This includes all associated costs with manufacturing, running, and disposal. The percentage range is mainly due to battery size, a larger battery lowers the co2 saving.

Just over a third of motorists cannot charge a vehicle from home, and not all homes have garages, and if you don't live in a sunny climate, very few houses have solar.

Current EV technology means they're bought by a niche market, the more affluent of society. A UK report found that the price of EV's are not affordable by the middle class down, and due to the cost of electricity, demand for EV's in the UK has dropped, they cost more to run than to refuel an ICE vehicle. Electric at charge points are double to treble the cost of home supply and they are now taxed. Electric vehicle excise duty is being launched in the UK, people are better off running their ICE vehicle.

My van range on a full tank is 625 miles. I would burn through 239 miles in a little over two days. To be honest, 239 mike's is piss poor.

The fuel stations in the UK are under cover, so no weather issues here when filling up.

What EV owners have to realise is, the vast majority don't live like you; they don't commute a few miles to work with a pen, they don't have garages and charge points, they don't have solar panels, they don't have the income to waste on these electric toys.

I never budget for gas and I drive a 1/2 ton with a 36 gallon tank, if a person is budgeting for gas, they have other issues

When I'm in town and just driving around for basic errands, I don't really budget for gas, as I consider it just another expense of living from day to day.

But................when I do decide to travel several hundred miles or further, then yes, gas does figure into the budget and is a pretty significant cost that I plan for.

I live on a military pension, and while I'm not rich, I still have a roof over my head, enough to eat, and enough money for frivolity or entertainment on occasion, but I still budget for gas when taking long trips.

Your own material shames you. I don't park or leave my car anywhere that someone could possibly do that, and besides, I need to put my car up on ramps just to change the oil. My CAT converter is recessed up in there and you'd have to put my car up on a rack to get at it!

BUT WHY STOP THERE! Why don't you create the fiction that someone might just loosen the motor mounts and steal my whole engine!!! Anything to distract from the fact that an EV has NO advantage, only DISadvantages, and it is looking like the ONE "advantage" EVs are sold for isn't likely to even be real in actual practice. But I admit the idea is cool, but I like a car that I know is on and running when it is.

So, I laugh at you, take your EV and blow it out your ass, I paid only $4K for a very nice feature packed car in like new condition with leather interior that seats five comfortably and climbs mountains like they ain't even there that costs me about $150 a year to operate, a few cans of oil and little else. Even my insurance is only $37/mo.

Sucks to be you. :21:

While you personally might not do that, as well as have a car where it is difficult to steal the converter, not everyone lives with those same kind of circumstances. One of the reasons I was really happy about the car I bought is because the converter is located in a very difficult place to get to, so thieves will go to a different car or truck where it's easier to steal. No, I don't really worry much about it either, since my converter is so difficult to get to quickly.

And no..................it's not "fiction" as you call it, the links I posted listed the 10 most commonly used cars that are at risk. If it was fiction, then why do the police warn people about it?

No....................I don't have an EV. My current car is a Honda Civic EX-L that has a leather interior, moonroof, and a lot of nice things to have (heated seats and side mirrors are really nice, didn't know that they could prove to be so useful, now I wonder how I did without them), and yeah, I only paid around 4K for the car which was in great shape. The only way you would know that it wasn't new is to look at the odometer, as the previous owner took excellent care of it. Runs like a top, and I would (and have) taken it everywhere without much worry at all. Not only that, but the converter is is a pretty hard to get at place, so I don't worry much at all. I still feel sorry for the people who have theirs stolen though, because that is around 2,000 bucks to get it replaced, and insurance won't cover the whole cost.

While you personally might not do that, as well as have a car where it is difficult to steal the converter, not everyone lives with those same kind of circumstances.
Are you seriously touting a lack of a CAT converter as a REASON to buy an EV???

I still feel sorry for the people who have theirs stolen though, because that is around 2,000 bucks to get it replaced, and insurance won't cover the whole cost.
I actually have a catalytic converter in my garage, been there for years. It came off one of the last cars I converted to a street rod as obviously, no one wants a piece of dead weight like that obstructing the flow of air. Funny thing is that I never managed to not be able to pass the emissions test without it! :21:

Are you seriously touting a lack of a CAT converter as a REASON to buy an EV???

I actually have a catalytic converter in my garage, been there for years. It came off one of the last cars I converted to a street rod as obviously, no one wants a piece of dead weight like that obstructing the flow of air. Funny thing is that I never managed to not be able to pass the emissions test without it! :21:

Never said any such thing about converters and EV's. If you had bothered to read some of my earlier posts, I clearly stated that while the EV tech is getting better, and so is the infrastructure to support it at a very quick pace, it hasn't gotten to the point where I would buy one yet. They need to charge a bit faster, have a range of at least 350 miles, and there needs to be places where I can charge them no matter where I go in the US. Once those personal things that I want in an EV are met, I'm gonna get one, as according to damn near everything I've read, they are a lot easier to maintain than ICE engines, and battery tech is getting better and better all the time. I'm guessing than in just a few more years, you're gonna be able to get a battery overhauled at your local mechanic shop without having to buy a new battery.

As far as having a catalytic converter in your garage? Might wanna take it to the scrap yard, as they can be worth around 250.00 each. And, lots of people remove them. Matter of fact, the first thing my Grandfather did when he got a new car was to remove it for pretty much the reason you stated, he wanted the air to move better so that the car functioned better, but then again, Montana didn't have vehicle inspections when he was alive, dunno if they do now or not. Interesting that while you are able to pass emissions tests, I'm wondering why if your state requires emissions testing, they don't inspect the car. If you cut the converter off of your car in TX (a state that requires yearly inspections) and they see it, your car automatically fails and cannot be registered until you put one on. But, there are many states who don't have very strict regs for vehicle inspections. Where I live now (in SC) is one of them.

Last edited:
Never said any such thing about converters and EV's.
So what was your point in harping on them for the past day?

As far as having a catalytic converter in your garage? Might wanna take it to the scrap yard, as they can be worth around 250.00 each.
Maybe some day if I need the space. $250 is barely worth the bother.

And, lots of people remove them. Matter of fact, the first thing my Grandfather did when he got a new car was to remove it for pretty much the reason you stated, he wanted the air to move better so that the car functioned better
In my case, I was running headers into burned out glass packs with no exhaust to the rear. But I had a devil of a time with inspections so I eventually ran pipes out back but it was a dramatic loss in horsepower.

Interesting that while you are able to pass emissions tests, I'm wondering why if your state requires emissions testing, they don't inspect the car.
Friendly inspection people. :SMILEW~130: I mean, the car WAS passing emissions!

Actually, just because there are rednecks in the state DOES NOT mean that converters won't be stolen. Lots of those rednecks like tall trucks, and those are among the easiest vehicles to steal them from.
Never had an issue and travel all over the country, but I don't hang out at titty bars or the hood

Never had an issue and travel all over the country, but I don't hang out at titty bars or the hood

Is your car one of the top 10 considered at risk for having their converters stolen? If not, they won't target your car, instead opting to go for one that is easy to steal from.

Is your car one of the top 10 considered at risk for having their converters stolen? If not, they won't target your car, instead opting to go for one that is easy to steal from.
I think drug use for the area as whole determines how bad this is, Cincinnati has issues with this as does Dayton

I think drug use for the area as whole determines how bad this is, Cincinnati has issues with this as does Dayton

Not necessarily. There are lots of rural areas around Columbia, and the thefts aren't restricted to just the cities. There are lots of people who simply see opportunity and know that the junk yards around will take them.

Not necessarily. There are lots of rural areas around Columbia, and the thefts aren't restricted to just the cities. There are lots of people who simply see opportunity and know that the junk yards around will take them.
drugs are pretty bad around Columbia, Orangeburg, and Sumter

I drive a KIA NIRO with a range of 239-Miles. You drive a gas guzzling internal combustion engine vehicle that requires you to fill the gas tank every other week or so. I drive a zero emissions vehicle. Your pollutes the air around us.

Oh, every time I drive the ARCO in Mill Valley, looking at that long line of cars and trucks and see the cost of just one gallon of gas I laugh my ass off.

I charge my vehicle at home, in my garage. You stand in the wind, rain and snow.

Grow the **** up.

1. Most of us have very fuel efficient cars that get over 25 miles per gallon, depending on how heavy-footed the driver is.
2. Where does your electricity come from, Al Gore Boy? Yes, electic plants which burn coal, fuel oil and natural gas. Your pollution is just hidden from your little AlGorian eyes.
3. Carbon dioxide is harmless. It is NOT a pollutant.
4. Gas stations have covers, so nobody stands in rain or snow and wind is occasional and harmless except to girlie-men.
5. Your vulgarity is ignorant, crude and completely counterproductive.

Forum List

Back