Evidence That Moses Existed

Who ... other than the Hebrews ... speak of Moses?

The Egyptians adopted him and he would've been a king except for the Exodus. The Pharaoh of the 12th Dynasty, Amenemhat III, had no surviving sons, and his daughter Sobekneferu had no children. After she found a male baby in a basket floating down the Nile, she took in the Hebrew child -- Moses -- as her own son. What's ironic is she told a slave to take care of him like her own and it was Moses mother.

"Now the daughter of Pharaoh came down to bathe at the river, while her young women walked beside the river. She saw the basket among the reeds and sent her servant woman, and she took it. When she opened it, she saw the child, and behold, the baby was crying. She took pity on him and said, “This is one of the Hebrews’ children.” Then his sister said to Pharaoh’s daughter, “Shall I go and call you a nurse from the Hebrew women to nurse the child for you?” And Pharaoh’s daughter said to her, “Go.” So the girl went and called the child’s mother. And Pharaoh’s daughter said to her, “Take this child away and nurse him for me, and I will give you your wages.” So the woman took the child and nursed him. When the child grew older, she brought him to Pharaoh’s daughter, and he became her son. She named him Moses, “Because,” she said, “I drew him out of the water.” Exodus 2:5-10

When I went to Cal, it wasn't like it is today. I'm shocked actually what is being taught in the colleges today -- the Bible is a fantastic story book.

"For if you believed Moses, you would believe me; for he wrote of me. But if you do not believe his writings, how will you believe my words?” John 5:46-47

Last edited:

The Egyptians adopted him and he would've been a king except for the Exodus. The Pharaoh of the 12th Dynasty, Amenemhat III, had no surviving sons, and his daughter Sobekneferu had no children. After she found a male baby in a basket floating down the Nile, she took in the Hebrew child -- Moses -- as her own son. What's ironic is she told a slave to take care of him like her own and it was Moses mother.

"Now the daughter of Pharaoh came down to bathe at the river, while her young women walked beside the river. She saw the basket among the reeds and sent her servant woman, and she took it. When she opened it, she saw the child, and behold, the baby was crying. She took pity on him and said, “This is one of the Hebrews’ children.” Then his sister said to Pharaoh’s daughter, “Shall I go and call you a nurse from the Hebrew women to nurse the child for you?” And Pharaoh’s daughter said to her, “Go.” So the girl went and called the child’s mother. And Pharaoh’s daughter said to her, “Take this child away and nurse him for me, and I will give you your wages.” So the woman took the child and nursed him. When the child grew older, she brought him to Pharaoh’s daughter, and he became her son. She named him Moses, “Because,” she said, “I drew him out of the water.” Exodus 2:5-10

When I went to Cal, it wasn't like it is today. I'm shocked actually what is being taught in the colleges today -- the Bible is a fantastic story book.

"For if you believed Moses, you would believe me; for he wrote of me. But if you do not believe his writings, how will you believe my words?” John 5:46-47

Citation? ... I know the Hebrews tell this tale ... but where do the Egyptians speak of this? ...

Citation? ... I know the Hebrews tell this tale ... but where do the Egyptians speak of this? ...

ReinyDays something has been nagging at me. If you believe Jesus was a historical figure but don't believe that Moses was a historical figure, then what does that say about Jesus when he spoke of Moses? Why would Jesus speak of Moses if Moses wasn't a historical figure? Doesn't that make you question whether was Jesus was a historical figure too? Or at least call into question the text that tells us that Jesus talked about Moses?

ReinyDays something has been nagging at me. If you believe Jesus was a historical figure but don't believe that Moses was a historical figure, then what does that say about Jesus when he spoke of Moses? Why would Jesus speak of Moses if Moses wasn't a historical figure? Doesn't that make you question whether was Jesus was a historical figure too? Or at least call into question the text that tells us that Jesus talked about Moses?
Why would Jesus speak of Moses if Moses wasn't a historical figure?
by reference to the hebrew tales, also that the religious itinerant was ill informed of the actual fact for their existence is telling ... as mythical rather than substantive. not to mention the entire 4th century christian bible being the same. including as many forgeries and fallacies as pages throughout the 10000 page document.

It makes me question whether anything in the bible is true. And I have my doubts.

It's good to be nagged about something ... glad to be of service ... you've taken my words out of context ... worse, you refuse to acknowledge the context I spoke in ... you understand, but it makes you far too uncomfortable to ponder, thus you're refusing to admit ...

I'm sorry your assumptions failed you ... I can't help you if you don't think you need help ...

It's good to be nagged about something ... glad to be of service ... you've taken my words out of context ... worse, you refuse to acknowledge the context I spoke in ... you understand, but it makes you far too uncomfortable to ponder, thus you're refusing to admit ...

I'm sorry your assumptions failed you ... I can't help you if you don't think you need help ...
And you did nothing to clarify anything. So I am still at the exact same place in understanding as I was before you got that off your chest. Hope you feel better.

Maybe the fault lies with you. But regardless you still have the same incongruity.

And you did nothing to clarify anything. So I am still at the exact same place in understanding as I was before you got that off your chest. Hope you feel better.
Maybe the fault lies with you. But regardless you still have the same incongruity.

No ... I'm clear on how historians define "historical figures" ... Moses doesn't qualify ...

Forum List

Back