Every day I ask God what he wants me to do with my life...

You know, God doesn't really speak to people in actual words. His language is more along the line of coincidences. If He doesn't want me to do something, there are always roadblocks. If He does want me to do something, He paves the way with enough coincidences that tells me He wants me to do that. He also provides a way that is easy and simple to follow.

Does he want me to work at a job I don't really like, writing legal briefs for clients I don't care about, to earn money so I can eat and pay my bills?

You're a lawyer? Looking for something new and exciting? You're hanging out at a political internet forum where nothing is resolved - people just bitching back and forth.
You have not noticed what I am trying to do?

The government is improperly organized and that causes the partisan chaos, and that trickles down and causes the social chaos. I need someone to write a legal brief suggesting that the government is skewed from its approach to domestic tranquility, and that the government needs to be completely reordered to realign its path to tranquility.

"why tolerate religion" - Brian Leiter

"what if religion wasn't so special" - Micah Schwartzman

...I never get an answer.

You don't get notes or telephone messages, but perhaps hints will be dropped. Will some doors be opened if only you would bother to go in and browse around? I'll elaborate below.

I've joined a few dating websites, like Match and Elite, but none of the women I see there are even slightly appealing to me. They all say they like walking on the beach under the moonlight, want to travel to extravagant locations, and put up photos of their dogs and cats.

Not every one of them likes walking on the beach. There are other places to walk. HELLO!
You need exercise. Give others a chance to show who they are. Patience.

Should I get a job in writing, which is my real love? Should I go to a foreign country and get a job there?

Write! Create websites and educate others in subjects of interest to you, and them.

I came to this Religion thread to post this website I asssembled:
"A Peaceful Religion"

I think that God wants me to get out of my rut. With my marriage ended and my children grown, my old life is over.

I'm not looking for pity, but I could use some advice. Those of you who take this opportunity to mock me because I've opened up like this, I will put on Ignore.

Yes He does want you to get out of your rut. "If there be good things, think on these."
"Be of good cheer."
"Sufficient of the day is the evil thereof." In other words, one day at a time.

Another of my creations is: http://AreAtheistsRight.blogspot.com

Find some words of solace there and pursue Science of the Bible

How can I improve it? You're a writer. My dear friend, a retired college chemistry professor, read it and says that I write well. How many letters have you had published in national magazines, for the edification of all readers? I'll PM you a few of mine as examples you should think about.

For a very many years, I have reflected on the horrors of Holocaust Survivors endured, before coming out into the light they live in today. I just contacted the family of a man murdered nearby thirteen years ago. His widow said my message touched her and brought tears to her eyes.

Read this to your son and see if he, and you together, can figure out the two different conundrums which arise. Don't read it until he is there to listen. Let it be a surprise to both of you at the same time. Now get busy.

Many Moons

I uploaded this wonderful story from James Thurber's book of the same title. It's brain candy,, speaking of which I will send you that website of mine by PM.

Does he want me to work at a job I don't really like, writing legal briefs for clients I don't care about, to earn money so I can eat and pay my bills?

I write stories which sometimes I finish, but the chances of getting published are practically nil, and people don't seem to like my stories that much anyway.

I'm divorced, and I still sleep on the right side of the bed, keeping the left side open for a woman who will never come back.

My three children are grown and moved out. I rarely see my first daughter, see the second daughter when she wants money, and my son I see when we watch cartoons together or play Dungeons and Dragons.

I'm fifty-five years old and I might live another thirty years, but it seems more of a curse than a blessing to live so long with nothing to do in my life but get older.

My children are unmarried, it looks like they may never get married, and I think there's a good chance I won't have grandchildren.

I still believe in God, but it seems that my existence is pointless, and my religion offers me nothing in the way of comfort.

I've joined a few dating websites, like Match and Elite, but none of the women I see there are even slightly appealing to me. They all say they like walking on the beach under the moonlight, want to travel to extravagant locations, and put up photos of their dogs and cats. I realize that the brainless cheerfulness that is charming in a young woman is pathetic when a woman grows old.

I never thought I'd be alone at this stage in my life, but I am. My ex-wife hovers in my life, cleaning my home, coming over to watch TV with me once or twice a week, but then goes home to another man's house. I have no idea what she wants from me, am I her emergency escape hatch in case the other man kicks her out? I don't know and since we never communicate, there's no way to find out.

As a young man I had big dreams, but somehow none of them worked out. I live in a three-bedroom house in a neighborhood that's a bit run-down, I have a job I don't like, I own a moderately-priced car that's decaying with age, and I have a bunch of bills to pay and debts to pay off.

I'm at the end of my rope, but the rope doesn't end, I may exist on this planet for another thirty years. Some people will say I should count my blessings, be grateful to God for what I have, but I don't and I'm not.

I put this in Religion section because my problem is spiritual. I feel empty inside and I don't think it's just the bipolarism talking, I think an honest appraisal of my situation is that there is no point in my continued existence on this planet. However, please don't worry about me or think you have to talk me out of suicide. I could never do that to my family.

Which leads me back to my original point, what does God want me to do with my life? I ask myself that question every morning when I take a shower. Why? If I get an answer to that question, will my life become meaningful again? Does God want me to abandon my attorney job and do something else? Would I be happy if I did something else?

I think of all the typical tasks God asks people who serve him do and I wonder. I can't be a priest because I'm divorced and in the Church's eyes still married to my ex-wife. Should I be a teacher? I couldn't teach in a public school but a private school or a Catholic school might hire me. Should I get a job in writing, which is my real love? Should I go to a foreign country and get a job there?

I think that God wants me to get out of my rut. With my marriage ended and my children grown, my old life is over. But I am still in my old house, surrounded by things that remind me of my old life. My ex-wife still comes over from time to time to decorate my house to her liking. It's like she wants to cling to the life we had, even though she left me for another man. I still love her, so I don't have the courage to tell her to really leave me. But I think her continued presence in my life is holding me back. And, if she really did leave for good, my loneliness would increase.

I'm not looking for pity, but I could use some advice. Those of you who take this opportunity to mock me because I've opened up like this, I will put on Ignore.

Maybe your cup is too full. There is that old Zen story about someone who wants to learn the teachings about Zen from a Zen Master. The Zen Master hands the person a cup and begins to pour tea into the cup but he doesn't stop when it reaches the top. He just keeps pouring. The point being you can't fill a cup that is already full. Maybe you need to make a change to get an answer. That change could be the job, the house and the ex.

I've joined a few dating websites ... I realize that the brainless cheerfulness that is charming in a young woman is pathetic when a woman grows old.
are there any other reasons you haven't met another partner than the above - that just might be enough on its own. would be interesting if ex would be coming by if you had someone living with you.

which is worse - brainless or cheerfulness ...

I write stories which sometimes I finish, but the chances of getting published are practically nil, and people don't seem to like my stories that much anyway.

I'm divorced, and I still sleep on the right side of the bed, keeping the left side open for a woman who will never come back.

My three children are grown and moved out. I rarely see my first daughter, see the second daughter when she wants money, and my son I see when we watch cartoons together or play Dungeons and Dragons.

I'm fifty-five years old and I might live another thirty years, but it seems more of a curse than a blessing to live so long with nothing to do in my life but get older.

My children are unmarried, it looks like they may never get married, and I think there's a good chance I won't have grandchildren.

I still believe in God, but it seems that my existence is pointless, and my religion offers me nothing in the way of comfort.

I've joined a few dating websites, like Match and Elite, but none of the women I see there are even slightly appealing to me. They all say they like walking on the beach under the moonlight, want to travel to extravagant locations, and put up photos of their dogs and cats. I realize that the brainless cheerfulness that is charming in a young woman is pathetic when a woman grows old.

I never thought I'd be alone at this stage in my life, but I am. My ex-wife hovers in my life, cleaning my home, coming over to watch TV with me once or twice a week, but then goes home to another man's house. I have no idea what she wants from me, am I her emergency escape hatch in case the other man kicks her out? I don't know and since we never communicate, there's no way to find out.

As a young man I had big dreams, but somehow none of them worked out. I live in a three-bedroom house in a neighborhood that's a bit run-down, I have a job I don't like, I own a moderately-priced car that's decaying with age, and I have a bunch of bills to pay and debts to pay off.

I'm at the end of my rope, but the rope doesn't end, I may exist on this planet for another thirty years. Some people will say I should count my blessings, be grateful to God for what I have, but I don't and I'm not.

I put this in Religion section because my problem is spiritual. I feel empty inside and I don't think it's just the bipolarism talking, I think an honest appraisal of my situation is that there is no point in my continued existence on this planet. However, please don't worry about me or think you have to talk me out of suicide. I could never do that to my family.

Which leads me back to my original point, what does God want me to do with my life? I ask myself that question every morning when I take a shower. Why? If I get an answer to that question, will my life become meaningful again? Does God want me to abandon my attorney job and do something else? Would I be happy if I did something else?

I think of all the typical tasks God asks people who serve him do and I wonder. I can't be a priest because I'm divorced and in the Church's eyes still married to my ex-wife. Should I be a teacher? I couldn't teach in a public school but a private school or a Catholic school might hire me. Should I get a job in writing, which is my real love? Should I go to a foreign country and get a job there?

I think that God wants me to get out of my rut. With my marriage ended and my children grown, my old life is over. But I am still in my old house, surrounded by things that remind me of my old life. My ex-wife still comes over from time to time to decorate my house to her liking. It's like she wants to cling to the life we had, even though she left me for another man. I still love her, so I don't have the courage to tell her to really leave me. But I think her continued presence in my life is holding me back. And, if she really did leave for good, my loneliness would increase.

I think he would tell you to stop trolling people on the internet. Treat people with kindness and compassion and do your best with each day

your life is yours to live and god only gives guidelines so you might get into heaven after you die,,,

Just my opinion, but I think I pinpointed the problem...

and my religion offers me nothing in the way of comfort.

I think the fact that you used the word religion is telling. A lot of people have religion, but not a relationship with God. Jesus had the highest criticism for religion that was devoid of God, religion that was all about going through the motions, and caring more about appearances than actually having God and honoring God's will.

FWIW, my advice is to set aside Churchianity for now, and fully surrender to God. Let go of everything you're holding on to, and surrender it all to God. God doesn't want a half-hearted "faith" or occasionally going through the motions, He wants our whole heart.

Jesus made it very clear that you must be born again. As you can read in John 3, Jesus stated that emphatically, at least 2 or 3 times when talking to a Pharisee who had a genuine interest in God.

Being born again is not a religious thing that happens in a church. It is a life-changing spiritual experience, it is literally a new birth. It happens when we understand our true spiritual condition, and genuinely believe and put our faith and trust in Jesus, knowing that we can't save ourselves. It involves a true change of mind and heart, surrendering it all...leaving the old ways behind and choosing to follow Jesus from that moment onward.

Once that new birth happens, you will literally become a new creation, the old passes away. And no matter what you're going through in life, as a child of God, ALL things work together for good! That doesn't mean that life is a bed of roses (in fact, Jesus said the opposite, we will experience troubles and trials in this life) but as a child of God, you will have God's presence and favor and protection, and you will have the peace that comes from knowing who you belong to and where you're going. Also, spiritual growth and transformation will come... it is not instant, it happens over years, but it will happen if one has been born from above.

Here's a video that sums up the Gospel in 5 minutes, through spoken word. The pertinent part is when he talks about how we can't fix ourselves, so be sure to watch the whole thing and listen closely. :)

Last edited:

Right now it is very hard; however, there are opportunities to connect with various Christian Ministries online. Once this "pandemic" is over I firmly believe you need to get yourself into a Bible Study of some sort with people. I think you need to consider other people, and very likely GOD has allowed this crash in your life to get you focused on our Lord and Savior JESUS CHRIST. I went through a similar problem when I was 38. I became a jerk --- not suggesting you are --- please don't take offence. However that was my issue. I felt everyone needed me and I needed no one (boy was I blindsided). The whole episode snapped me out of myself. Christ is still dealing with me, but I find the closer I seek to be with GOD the better I feel about my predicaments. I do hope this helps you. You can always send me a "private" communication... You bend my ear, and I'll bend yours.;)

BlackRook has left the neighborhood. Much good information has been provided to him. Has he listened? It does not appear that he has. People try to help but you can only do so much. The most important help must come from within.

BlackRook has left the neighborhood.
not sure on that - new thread any day now.

1597685988545.png

maybe their avatar says something about their disposition, how much change can be expected from a black - rook ... (why not white)

or how much change might be expected from posts on an internet tabloid.

Step One: Clearly, your Bipolar condition is talking. Speak to your physician about trying a better medication, or increasing the dosage if you're on meds (seriously).
Step Two: Ask yourself why you were divorced. Did she initiate it and if so, why?
Step Three: If you feel the divorce was because of your Bipolar condition, the fault is hers.
My wife suffered from Depression but you don't leave someone because of an inherited condition. Relationships take work and when psychological conditions are thrown into the mix, it takes more work. The fact that she keeps coming around, demonstrates that as you had children together, she still harbors concerns for you and wants to see that you are okay. If her coming over bothers you, you can be up front with her about it and she will just leave. However, because you have a Bipolar condition, someone going over to your residence periodically is a good thing.
Step Four: It clearly sounds as though you are a Catholic. If you must have religion in your life (I never needed it and don't feel lost), there are about 1600 recognized religions in the world and every one of them, insists that they are the only true one and the likelihood that any particular individual is in the one and only true religion is highly unlikely. Perhaps you can become a Universalist/Unitarian priest and preach from the pulpit, what you've learned from your Catholic upbringing.
Step Five: Get out of the house. Covid-19 or not, we all need to get out of the house now and then. Take a trip to a National Forest or National Park. I find that getting back to nature is refreshing. If you don't like to travel alone, meet some woman online and the two of you, get out in nature. Also, once this Covid-19 nonsense is over, take a long trip and see the world.
Step Six: Take up a hobby. I once told my daughter, who was looking for something to put her energy into, to think about " what's the first thing she thought of in the morning (aside from the usual prep for the day) and the last thing she thought about before going to bed. She's decided that it was photography and dogs. She now is an avid photographer and walks dogs in her spare time.
Step Seven: Socialize.....socialize.....socialize. The last thing someone who is Bipolar needs, is isolation.

Blackrook, marriage is an eternal concept in the true church of God. A person who is married without the proper authority from God, will be separated from their marriage companion upon death. A person who is sealed under the proper authority of God to their marital companion, if faithful, will still be joined to that person beyond the grave. You have not been married by the proper authority to your ex wife for your marriage to continue beyond the grave. Because your ex wife left you for another man, she has committed adultery and you are entitled to a divorce from her. Your life mission, should you choose to do so, can be to find another wife whom you can have your marriage sealed by the power of God for time and all eternity.

It is the calling of all men and women to seek out their eternal happiness.

Matthew 19:4-9
4 And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female,
5 And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?
6 Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.
7 They say unto him, Why did Moses then command to give a writing of divorcement, and to put her away?
8 He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so.
9 And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

Mark 10:12
12 And if a woman shall put away her husband, and be married to another, she committeth adultery.

Deuteronomy 24:1-5

1 When a man hath taken a wife, and married her, and it come to pass that she find no favour in his eyes, because he hath found some uncleanness in her: then let him write her a bill of divorcement, and give it in her hand, and send her out of his house.
2 And when she is departed out of his house, she may go and be another man’s wife.
3 And if the latter husband hate her, and write her a bill of divorcement, and giveth it in her hand, and sendeth her out of his house; or if the latter husband die, which took her to be his wife;
4 Her former husband, which sent her away, may not take her again to be his wife, after that she is defiled; for that is abomination before the Lord: and thou shalt not cause the land to sin, which the Lord thy God giveth thee for an inheritance.
5 When a man hath taken a new wife, he shall not go out to war, neither shall he be charged with any business: but he shall be free at home one year, and shall cheer up his wife which he hath taken.

From the above, we learn that a man can put away his wife in the case of fornication (adultery) and marry another wife. Divorce is not something that the Lord, from the beginning, desired that mankind do because he wants the man and woman to remain faithful and work out their own problems. But wickedness is in the world, and when a husband or wife puts way their spouse for the cause of adultery, divorcement is allowed as the remedy and the adulterer can be put away for their sin and the victim can marry another wife or husband (not someone of the same sex). So don't let your clergy say otherwise. God allows you to find happiness in another if your spouse leaves you for another. You must believe this to be happy. It is true!

God has restored his church and priesthood upon the earth and it is possible to have your next marriage sealed for time and for all eternity. This is the blessing to those who are righteous and come unto his true church. Yes, I am biased and believe that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the true church of God. If you want to know more about how to obtain eternal marriage, let me know.

Blackrook, marriage is an eternal concept in the true church of God. A person who is married without the proper authority from God, will be separated from their marriage companion upon death. A person who is sealed under the proper authority of God to their marital companion, if faithful, will still be joined to that person beyond the grave. You have not been married by the proper authority to your ex wife for your marriage to continue beyond the grave. Because your ex wife left you for another man, she has committed adultery and you are entitled to a divorce from her. Your life mission, should you choose to do so, can be to find another wife whom you can have your marriage sealed by the power of God for time and all eternity.

It is the calling of all men and women to seek out their eternal happiness.

Matthew 19:4-9
4 And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female,
5 And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?
6 Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.
7 They say unto him, Why did Moses then command to give a writing of divorcement, and to put her away?
8 He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so.
9 And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

Mark 10:12
12 And if a woman shall put away her husband, and be married to another, she committeth adultery.

Deuteronomy 24:1-5

1 When a man hath taken a wife, and married her, and it come to pass that she find no favour in his eyes, because he hath found some uncleanness in her: then let him write her a bill of divorcement, and give it in her hand, and send her out of his house.
2 And when she is departed out of his house, she may go and be another man’s wife.
3 And if the latter husband hate her, and write her a bill of divorcement, and giveth it in her hand, and sendeth her out of his house; or if the latter husband die, which took her to be his wife;
4 Her former husband, which sent her away, may not take her again to be his wife, after that she is defiled; for that is abomination before the Lord: and thou shalt not cause the land to sin, which the Lord thy God giveth thee for an inheritance.
5 When a man hath taken a new wife, he shall not go out to war, neither shall he be charged with any business: but he shall be free at home one year, and shall cheer up his wife which he hath taken.

From the above, we learn that a man can put away his wife in the case of fornication (adultery) and marry another wife. Divorce is not something that the Lord, from the beginning, desired that mankind do because he wants the man and woman to remain faithful and work out their own problems. But wickedness is in the world, and when a husband or wife puts way their spouse for the cause of adultery, divorcement is allowed as the remedy and the adulterer can be put away for their sin and the victim can marry another wife or husband (not someone of the same sex). So don't let your clergy say otherwise. God allows you to find happiness in another if your spouse leaves you for another. You must believe this to be happy. It is true!

God has restored his church and priesthood upon the earth and it is possible to have your next marriage sealed for time and for all eternity. This is the blessing to those who are righteous and come unto his true church. Yes, I am biased and believe that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the true church of God. If you want to know more about how to obtain eternal marriage, let me know.
Here is want the New Testament says regarding marriage among Christians.
When a woman marries, the law binds her to her husband as long as he is alive. But if he dies, the laws of marriage no longer apply to her. So while her husband is alive, she would be committing adultery if she married another man. But if her husband dies, she is free from that law and does not commit adultery when she remarries. (Romans 7:2–3)

A wife is bound to her husband as long as he lives. (1 Corinthians 7:39)

Forum List

Back