Every Been Spit Upon?

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
In a bizarre example of government waste, a major U.S. city with a $400 million transit budget shortfall allows public bus drivers to take months of paid leave every time a rider spits on them.

Thanks to a contract negotiated by the New York City bus drivers’ powerful union, spitting is considered an assault even though the state penal code doesn’t classify it that way. This has allowed dozens of city bus drivers to take an average of more than two months paid leave each time they get spit on by a disgruntled passenger.

In some cases drivers have taken more than half a year off with pay over a spitting incident. This is possible because their contract allows them to take unlimited “assault time” with full pay. When a Metropolitan Transportation Authority bus driver reports a spitting incident, an agency team responds to the scene as if it were a dire emergency.

About one-third of the 153 assaults on New York City bus drivers last year involved spitting. Fifty one drivers took an average of 64 paid days off after suffering “saliva assault.”

?Spit Assault? Gets N.Y. Bus Drivers Months Of Paid Leave | Judicial Watch

Gee whiz. I wonder how many cops and teachers are victims of spit assaults each year. Here's an idea. Instead of giving the bus drivers "spit time" maybe they should change the penal code and arrest the disgusting assailants?

How much spit time does your employer offer?

Yes they are. And in order to pay for all that spit time they are now proposing another millionaire's tax (which is currently at 200K) up to 13 percent. They, like NJ, want to race CA for the first state bailout.

You disagree with time off for being spit upon, but yet you want to spend the same, if not even possibly MORE money to put someone in JAIL for spitting? Ridiculous.

How about BOTH morons just receive a solid kick to the ass, get told to tape a fucking aspirin to it, and we just move on with our days?

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe the appropriate response to be "Oh My God! NYC is run by morons."
I concur!

To answer the question, I've never been spat upon, but I've been spat up on. I am no longer willing to hold someone's child shortly after feeding if I'm wearing a nice shirt unless they provide a towel to drape over my shoulder and I'm in a good mood.

Drivers need to get a note from their family doctor to get the free days -- and there isn't a limit to how much "assault time" they can take.

Any doctor who is allowing someone a month or two off for getting spit on is committing fraud to the highest degree.

If I had a bus driver come to me who had been spit on, I would review with them the potential health hazards, possibly run some tests, and tell them that they were cleared to return to work tomorrow.

A cost saving investment for the NYC Transit Authority:

renderImage.image

No jail tine would not be appropriate, Please don't put words in my post. A hefty fine, perhaps a public transit expulsion, and or a saliva bath might be a good deterrent.

People who do this should be shunned from the civilized world. But apparently manners and hygeine are now in the eye of the beholder. Why does this happen so often?

No jail tine would not be appropriate, Please don't put words in my post. A hefty fine, perhaps a public transit expulsion, and or a saliva bath might be a good deterrent.

People who do this should be shunned from the civilized world. But apparently manners and hygeine are now in the eye of the beholder. Why does this happen so often?

maybe they should change the penal code and arrest the disgusting assailants?

Those are your words...

The time, and inconvenience to everyone else just to call the police, sit around waiting for them to get there, arrest said person (who has probably disappeared by now), etc. is just ridiculous.

Weird and disgusting people are simply a hazard you need to take in to consideration when you make the choice to drive a bus.

When my kids were infants they used to spit, vomit and pee on me all the time.

Is that the same?

No but I've been jeered at several times.

Srsly, if anyone ever spit on me I'd clock them but good. Spitting is a disgusting, gross thing. I find it utterly and totally repulsive and think that people who do this should be shot.

In a bizarre example of government waste, a major U.S. city with a $400 million transit budget shortfall allows public bus drivers to take months of paid leave every time a rider spits on them.

Thanks to a contract negotiated by the New York City bus drivers’ powerful union, spitting is considered an assault even though the state penal code doesn’t classify it that way. This has allowed dozens of city bus drivers to take an average of more than two months paid leave each time they get spit on by a disgruntled passenger.

In some cases drivers have taken more than half a year off with pay over a spitting incident. This is possible because their contract allows them to take unlimited “assault time” with full pay. When a Metropolitan Transportation Authority bus driver reports a spitting incident, an agency team responds to the scene as if it were a dire emergency.

About one-third of the 153 assaults on New York City bus drivers last year involved spitting. Fifty one drivers took an average of 64 paid days off after suffering “saliva assault.”

?Spit Assault? Gets N.Y. Bus Drivers Months Of Paid Leave | Judicial Watch

Gee whiz. I wonder how many cops and teachers are victims of spit assaults each year. Here's an idea. Instead of giving the bus drivers "spit time" maybe they should change the penal code and arrest the disgusting assailants?

How much spit time does your employer offer?

The Union asked and the City said "okay." Makes you wonder if the Union had someone on the inside to sign-off on this.

I wonder if a bus driver who has a drooling problem would get full disability with 100% pay and benefits.

After all, drool is spit.

No but I've been jeered at several times.

Srsly, if anyone ever spit on me I'd clock them but good. Spitting is a disgusting, gross thing. I find it utterly and totally repulsive and think that people who do this should be shot.
And IMHO, this goes for all the guys out there who think spitting is okay when they feel they have too much saliva in their mouths. GAG! That totally and completely repulses me.

Yup! That's the obvious conclusion! Whenever there is fraud committed it's always the fault of the administrators!

Guess what? Someone filled a fraudulent tax return last year! It's true!

That idiot Obama should be impeached if this fraudulent return is paid off!

That's the conclusion to jump at!

for morons.

California give them a run for their money. I just heard a news items regarding the highest paid public employees in the state. Some 300+ bed hospital in Fremont has senior management person who gets paid close to $900K per year by the government. The comps show she is paid $700K more than similar positions. Insanity. And that probably excludes "Spat Upon" Pay.

New Topics

Forum List

Back