Evading malicious softwares and Protecting your computer

Kingman

Rookie
Oct 28, 2016
Well this thread is about protecting your computer from malicious viruses and bots, please share the steps that you adopt for realtime protection of your computer

I am using Comodo antivirus and firewall for last 3 years. I always SYNC my security software to latest version.

Linux here. Bring it.
Now if by chance something were to manage to corrupt my OS I would be forced to grab my iso stick and reinstall it while I was making a cup of coffee.

I make disc images on an external drive from a live USB drive with Clonezilla. Linux was ok, but getting particular programmes to work with it has me back to Win 10.

Kaspersky internet security, careful what I click on, and I use Last Pass to generate super tough passwords.

A friend of mine is in the cyber business. He says if hackers want you, they will get you no matter what precautions you take. He says the only way to stop them, is get off the internet entirely.

I make disc images on an external drive from a live USB drive with Clonezilla. Linux was ok, but getting particular programmes to work with it has me back to Win 10.
Clonezilla works in Linux. I don't see the point though. I save my data to a separate partition and have multiple distros I can boot into.

Clonezilla works in Linux. I don't see the point though. I save my data to a separate partition and have multiple distros I can boot into.
Linux is where I learnt to use Clonezilla.
A separate partition is going to save neither your arse nor your data when the HDD goes.

edit...Too, do you save all your app settings and data to that separate partition?

Linux is where I learnt to use Clonezilla.
A separate partition is going to save neither your arse nor your data when the HDD goes.

edit...Too, do you save all your app settings and data to that separate partition?
I do back up the storage partition on occasion. If the data is important it gets saved right away to a thumbdrive.

I don't have the need to save individual program settings because it only takes minutes to redo, I haven't ever had to, and if I ever did, big whoop. It's not like reinstalling windows and the massive amount of time to reconfigure.

I don't have the need to save individual program settings because it only takes minutes to redo, I haven't ever had to, and if I ever did, big whoop. It's not like reinstalling windows and the massive amount of time to reconfigure.
I can't really make any sense of that, none of it fits my experience. No worries.

I can't really make any sense of that, none of it fits my experience. No worries.
I can't imagine your experiences either then. I've spent countless hours reinstalling programs in Windows. Anything goes wrong in the massive registry and you might be screwed. I've reinstalled Windows countless times over the years. Then each program that does its' own configuration, to start the time bomb all over again.

Never had to reinstall a program in Linux, even if power was abruptly shut down. They install fast and don't reconfigure anything, no registry. Of course it does no good if you need a Windows program though ....

I use the Microsoft Essentials that came with the Windows software.

They renamed it "Windows Defender" recently.

It has worked for me for the past 6 years beautifully.

probably the first step is not sharing how you protect your computer

on a public forum

--LOL

Forum List

Back