European Parliament wants to hear from Edward Snowden

Kevin_Kennedy

Defend Liberty
Aug 27, 2008
A European Parliament committee voted Thursday to invite former NSA contractor Edward Snowden to testify on U.S. surveillance.

The Civil Liberties Committee will ask Snowden to speak via video conference as part of the committee's investigation into U.S. government surveillance of European officials and citizens.

According to documents released by Snowden, the NSA has monitored the communication of Europeans, including German Chancellor Angela Merkel.

The committee — which voted 36-2 to invite Snowden — is considering a draft report from British representative Claude Moraes, who has been investigating the affect of U.S. surveillance on European privacy.

European Parliament wants to hear from Edward Snowden | TheHill

Interesting development. Hopefully this leads to more people looking at the actual story, rather than shooting the messenger.

A shame none of the EU nations are brave enough to offer him asylum. Germany should do it just to stick it to the U.S. government for spying on them.

His asylum in Russia has an expiration date.

He'll find some other enemy of ours to take him in

I didn't realize Russia was "our" enemy. Regardless, when the U.S. wants to throw you in the hole your best choices are those governments who aren't in the U.S. government's pockets.

Most of those governments you consider "not in the U.S. government's pockets" would have had him knocked off long ago

He'll find some other enemy of ours to take him in

I didn't realize Russia was "our" enemy. Regardless, when the U.S. wants to throw you in the hole your best choices are those governments who aren't in the U.S. government's pockets.

Most of those governments you consider "not in the U.S. government's pockets" would have had him knocked off long ago

Maybe, but the U.S., by acting like those governments, gave him no other choice.

US lawmaker investigates whether Russia behind Snowden's leaks

WASHINGTON: The head of the US House of Representatives Intelligence Committee said on Sunday he is investigating whether former spy agency contractor Edward Snowden had help from Russia in stealing and revealing US government secrets.

"I believe there's a reason he ended up in the hands - the loving arms - of an FSB agent in Moscow. I don't think that's a coincidence," US Representative Mike Rogers told the NBC program "Meet the Press," referring to the Russian intelligence agency that is a successor of the Soviet-era KGB.

Snowden last year fled the United States to Hong Kong and then to Russia, where he was granted at least a year of asylum. US officials want Snowden returned to the United States for prosecution. His disclosures of large numbers of stolen US secret documents sparked a debate around the world about the reach of US electronic surveillance.

Rogers did not provide specific evidence to back his suggestions of Russian involvement in Snowden's activities, but said: "Some of the things we're finding we would call clues that certainly would indicate to me that he had some help."

Asked whether he is investigating Russian links to Snowden's activities, Rogers said, "Absolutely. And that investigation is ongoing."

Senator Dianne Feinstein, who heads the Senate Intelligence Committee, said on "Meet the Press" that Snowden "may well have" had help from Russia.

"We don't know at this stage," Feinstein said.

Feinstein said Snowden gained employment at the National Security Agency "with the intent to take as much material down as he possibly could."

On the ABC program "This Week," US Representative Michael McCaul, chairman of the House Committee on Homeland Security, also expressed his belief that Snowden had foreign help.

"Hey, listen, I don't think ... Mr Snowden woke up one day and had the wherewithal to do this all by himself," he said.

"I personally believe that he was cultivated by a foreign power to do what he did," McCaul said.

Asked whether he thought Russia was that "foreign power," McCaul said, "You know, to say definitively, I can't. I can't answer that."

US lawmaker investigates whether Russia behind Snowden's leaks - The Times of India

US lawmaker investigates whether Russia behind Snowden's leaks

WASHINGTON: The head of the US House of Representatives Intelligence Committee said on Sunday he is investigating whether former spy agency contractor Edward Snowden had help from Russia in stealing and revealing US government secrets.

"I believe there's a reason he ended up in the hands - the loving arms - of an FSB agent in Moscow. I don't think that's a coincidence," US Representative Mike Rogers told the NBC program "Meet the Press," referring to the Russian intelligence agency that is a successor of the Soviet-era KGB.

Snowden last year fled the United States to Hong Kong and then to Russia, where he was granted at least a year of asylum. US officials want Snowden returned to the United States for prosecution. His disclosures of large numbers of stolen US secret documents sparked a debate around the world about the reach of US electronic surveillance.

Rogers did not provide specific evidence to back his suggestions of Russian involvement in Snowden's activities, but said: "Some of the things we're finding we would call clues that certainly would indicate to me that he had some help."

Asked whether he is investigating Russian links to Snowden's activities, Rogers said, "Absolutely. And that investigation is ongoing."

Senator Dianne Feinstein, who heads the Senate Intelligence Committee, said on "Meet the Press" that Snowden "may well have" had help from Russia.

"We don't know at this stage," Feinstein said.

Feinstein said Snowden gained employment at the National Security Agency "with the intent to take as much material down as he possibly could."

On the ABC program "This Week," US Representative Michael McCaul, chairman of the House Committee on Homeland Security, also expressed his belief that Snowden had foreign help.

"Hey, listen, I don't think ... Mr Snowden woke up one day and had the wherewithal to do this all by himself," he said.

"I personally believe that he was cultivated by a foreign power to do what he did," McCaul said.

Asked whether he thought Russia was that "foreign power," McCaul said, "You know, to say definitively, I can't. I can't answer that."

US lawmaker investigates whether Russia behind Snowden's leaks - The Times of India

Yes, there's a reason he ended up in Russia. The U.S. revoked his passport while he was in Russia so he was unable to leave.

A shame none of the EU nations are brave enough to offer him asylum. Germany should do it just to stick it to the U.S. government for spying on them.
And you don't think Germany spies on the U.S? There are no legal, moral or ethical problems with either.

Probably do, but we can't prove it. And yes, it is illegal, immoral, and unethical to do so.

And you don't think Germany spies on the U.S? There are no legal, moral or ethical problems with either.

Probably do, but we can't prove it. And yes, it is illegal, immoral, and unethical to do so.

What law prevents one nation from spying on another? And by what standards is it immoral or unethical? You seriously think the U.S. should halt all intelligence activities on all countries? Ridiculous.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back