EU to enlarge as countries queue up to join.

I don't know if this is a good idea for the EU countries.
European Union has many issues to solve!
This current pandemic is showing some really big problems (all countries act like there's no "union" at all... :omg:)
Maybe they should think about enlargement in the future (5/10 years from now)

Thanks. I appreciate your thoughtful opinions, and mostly agree. May I ask in what way you are, or consider yourself, an “Old European”? : )

Remember Donald The Rumpot, facing strident opposition to his little adventure in Iraq? Sure you do: He decried those not going along with his criminal designs as "Old Europe". I proudly count myself as one of them, in spirit, such as insisting upon cooperative, coordinated policy-making based on rules, treaties, international law, and, not least, solid evidence.

“He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.”

For that alone I will always have a place in my heart for him.

Glad to know old Thomas Paine, “premature anti-imperialist” and Enlightenment idealist, “traitor” in the eyes of so many respectable fellow Englishmen, can still warm the heart of at least one “Old European”!
:beer:

The EU has agreed to open accession talks with two countries with a view to them joining the bloc.

Ministers from member states gave the green light to negotiations with Albania and North Macedonia on Tuesday.

The two countries have been candidates since 2005 but progress has stalled amid opposition from some member states.

This is good news. Countries obviously see their futures as being aligned with the west rather than Putins gangster state. The worry with these Balkan states is that they will turn into something like Poland or Hungary. But long term its positive.

Long term, is your goal to see the EU as a federal nation able to be bigger and better than the US?

The EU has agreed to open accession talks with two countries with a view to them joining the bloc.

Ministers from member states gave the green light to negotiations with Albania and North Macedonia on Tuesday.

The two countries have been candidates since 2005 but progress has stalled amid opposition from some member states.

This is good news. Countries obviously see their futures as being aligned with the west rather than Putins gangster state. The worry with these Balkan states is that they will turn into something like Poland or Hungary. But long term its positive.

Both of these countries are fairly poor. What do they bring to the table? To me, it sounds a kin to making Puerto Rico a state
A lot of EU countries were poor when they joined. Look at the advances made by Spain,Portugal, Eire and the Baltic states. The EU will give them a path to prosperity. That benefits all of us.

At the low, low price of freedom and Democracy!

Spoken like a well and fully tamed subject.
Can you not do any better than that ?

Long term, is your goal to see the EU as a federal nation able to be bigger and better than the US?

Both of these countries are fairly poor. What do they bring to the table? To me, it sounds a kin to making Puerto Rico a state
A lot of EU countries were poor when they joined. Look at the advances made by Spain,Portugal, Eire and the Baltic states. The EU will give them a path to prosperity. That benefits all of us.

At the low, low price of freedom and Democracy!

Spoken like a well and fully tamed subject.
Can you not do any better than that ?

Check in with me in ten years or less, serf.

I don't know if this is a good idea for the EU countries.
European Union has many issues to solve!
This current pandemic is showing some really big problems (all countries act like there's no "union" at all... :omg:)
Maybe they should think about enlargement in the future (5/10 years from now)
These things take time... And more prosperity always follows when countries join the EU. The misinformed brexiteers will find out. The usual English-speaking conservative idiocy....

what do you think mongols juchi (Muscovite ulus) is gonna do? i know the answer

"Both of these countries are fairly poor. What do they bring to the table? "

you dony know much about geo- strategy , Albanians bring to our table the massive anti- Muscovite Albanian wall for years and years

North Macedonia is a very interesting case

North Macedonia: Progress in the Age of Nationalism - The ...
www.theglobalist.com › north-macedonia-greece-nato-eu

Feb 12, 2019 - Why the prime ministers of Greece and Northern Macedonia may be on the road toward receiving the Nobel Prize for Peace. ... ratify the accession, a strong signal of political will and good neighborly relations, as well as ... It used it to explain the lack of reforms and the weak level of economic development.

My guess is only countries with an abundant supply of I want and give me and nothing else to offer are wanting to join up now. You should be damn grateful that GB is well clear of that nonsense now.

The biggest mistake the EU made was moving from an economic union of countries to an agenda that sought to influence social and cultural values within member nations.

Both Albania and Macedonia have little to offer other EU member states in terms of industrial, financial or consumer ability. Ukraine would be a much better candidate in terms of economic potential.

There is a problem in that a country with unresolved border conflicts cannot be admitted.

Forum List

Back