Estate Sales

Gracie

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2013
Lost
They make me sad. Lots of people..including myself...trouncing around in someones home, handling things that were loved by the now deceased owners, snooping in closets, drawers, seeing items priced on tables. All those things...beloved, enjoyed, cared for. Now, available for all to see because the people who bought them, cherished them, decorated with them, cooked with them...are dead. Is it just me that thinks of the people that USED to live there with their precious items instead of just looking at "stuff"?

They make me sad. Lots of people..including myself...trouncing around in someones home, handling things that were loved by the now deceased owners, snooping in closets, drawers, seeing items priced on tables. All those things...beloved, enjoyed, cared for. Now, available for all to see because the people who bought them, cherished them, decorated with them, cooked with them...are dead. Is it just me that thinks of the people that USED to live there with their precious items instead of just looking at "stuff"?

Hi Grace,
No it is not just you. Sentimentality sets in when we are born.

It's truly alright Grace. Having done auctions and estate sales I look at it like this. It's the LAST act of greed before something is loved again.

Last edited:
estate sales are an act of greed? apparently you have never closed a house after a loved one's death.....are the kids or kin suppose to absorb all the belongings...can you imagine how that would crowd a two bedroom apartment? or one may pay storage fees for how long?

It's truly alright Grace. Having done auctions and estate sales I look at it like this. It's the LAST act of greed before something is loved again.

If you don't mind. What is the last act of greed?

i have no clue what family members taking their cut and estate sales have in common...by the time one completes an estate sale their hearts have been shattered again and again....by each decisions of what to keep and what to sell or trash....somehow i just had no use for a collection of over 100 salt and pepper sets....you can donate...you can sell but in the long run unless you are wealthy you cant keep it all....it adds up from generation to generation

I went to an estate sale this past friday. Beautiful house, lots of nice things. I didn't think about the survivors of the deceased. I thought of the deceased....and wondered when she bought those marble eggs now sitting on their delicate stands on my window sill. I wanted the wicker patio set but don't have a place for it so didn't buy them...but as I wandered their yard, I wondered how many times they sat out there listening to the birds, having lunch maybe, did they listen to a radio as they ate or did they have back yard parties? Every room...I wondered. And yep. Made me sad.

I guess if one looks at it like DF said... my greed of wanting something nice for myself..and everyone else there hauling stuff out of that home and in to their cars....those people's beloved belongings continue to live for them in someone elses house...loved all over again by someone new. Which means the deceased are not really forgotten at all..they live on in their personal style of decor via someone else's admiration for that style.

Most of the time it's the deceased Will to sell their stuff, isn't it?

One of my hobbies is fixing and restoring very old antique watches. Many of the ones I restore come from estate sales.

I make a good bit of money on the ones I sell. The ones I keep are often just too rare and valuable to sell.

Needless to say, I have a cool watch collection. Ha.

No you're not the only one. It is sad for the deceased and sometimes for the families. But many times too the money from those sales also pay debts left behind. It is better when buyers do give those items a loving home

Most of the time it's the deceased Will to sell their stuff, isn't it?

One of my hobbies is fixing and restoring very old antique watches. Many of the ones I restore come from estate sales.

I make a good bit of money on the ones I sell. The ones I keep are often just too rare and valuable to sell.

Needless to say, I have a cool watch collection. Ha.

It could be part of their Will, but if they didn't leave one, the estate goes thru probate, an Executor is appointed by the State to handle the deceased's 'accounts'. Possessions are sold to either pay any debts, or given to closest relative or whatever......atleast that is the process here in Washington state

In France to touch an inheritance we have the right of sucession to the children
We are inherited Several family houses ( because the other heir is Unfortunately pass away He was young.) with full of objects and memories how to separate from all his objects with memories of the love one. It is impossible and very difficult.

Forum List

Back