Equity = getting rid of advanced math classes

Drop Dead Fred

Platinum Member
Jun 6, 2020
In the name of what progressives refer to as “equity,” Virginia is planning to eliminate all accelerated math courses before 11th grade.

On a personal level, as a person who always took the highest level math classes that were available during my entire schooling, and who always scored in the 99th percentile on standardized math tests, I think this is a horrible idea.

On a practical level, as a person who wants bridges that don’t fall down, I think this is a horrible idea.

And on an intellectual level, as a person who knows that Kurt Vonnegut’s “Harrison Bergeron” was written as a warning, and not an instruction manual, I think this is a horrible idea.

“Harrison Bergeron” was a fictional story that takes place in the future, where the government tries to make everyone equal. So the best ballet dancers were forced to wear weights on their arms and legs so they couldn’t dance better than anyone else. The best looking people were forced to wear masks on their faces. And the smartest people (like those who were the best at math) were forced to wear a noisemaking device inside their ears so they couldn’t concentrate on anything for more than 20 seconds at a time.

Virginia moving to eliminate all accelerated math courses before 11th grade as part of equity-focused plan

April 22, 2021

The Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) is moving to eliminate all accelerated math options prior to 11th grade, effectively keeping higher-achieving students from advancing as they usually would in the school system.

Loudoun County school board member Ian Serotkin posted about the change via Facebook on Tuesday. According to Serotkin, he learned of the change the night prior during a briefing from staff on the Virginia Mathematics Pathway Initiative (VMPI).

"[A]s currently planned, this initiative will eliminate ALL math acceleration prior to 11th grade," he said. "That is not an exaggeration, nor does there appear to be any discretion in how local districts implement this. All 6th graders will take Foundational Concepts 6. All 7th graders will take Foundational Concepts 7. All 10th graders will take Essential Concepts 10. Only in 11th and 12th grade is there any opportunity for choice in higher math courses."

Mod Edit: Do not post the entire article, only an excerpt, please.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have to do the whole article?
When you see someone else's post is that long - do you read it?

In the name of what progressives refer to as “equity,” Virginia is planning to eliminate all accelerated math courses before 11th grade.

On a personal level, as a person who always took the highest level math classes that were available during my entire schooling, and who always scored in the 99th percentile on standardized math tests, I think this is a horrible idea.
For someone who is so smart, I cannot believe your lack of compassion for us dumb people.

So, what is your solution to the absurd proposition of eliminating high end education for the sake of the dumb people who cannot handle the manipulation techniques for abstract concepts?

Seeing as you are able to handle large blocks of information that challenges your subsisting set of rules - what do you think about my idea?
At least I offer a solution to the problem.

Last edited:

On a practical level, as a person who wants bridges that don’t fall down, I think this is a horrible idea.

And on an intellectual level, as a person who knows that Kurt Vonnegut’s “Harrison Bergeron” was written as a warning, and not an instruction manual, I think this is a horrible idea.

“Harrison Bergeron” was a fictional story that takes place in the future, where the government tries to make everyone equal. So the best ballet dancers were forced to wear weights on their arms and legs so they couldn’t dance better than anyone else. The best looking people were forced to wear masks on their faces. And the smartest people (like those who were the best at math) were forced to wear a noisemaking device inside their ears so they couldn’t concentrate on anything for more than 20 seconds at a time.

Virginia moving to eliminate all accelerated math courses before 11th grade as part of equity-focused plan

April 22, 2021

The Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) is moving to eliminate all accelerated math options prior to 11th grade, effectively keeping higher-achieving students from advancing as they usually would in the school system.

Loudoun County school board member Ian Serotkin posted about the change via Facebook on Tuesday. According to Serotkin, he learned of the change the night prior during a briefing from staff on the Virginia Mathematics Pathway Initiative (VMPI).

"[A]s currently planned, this initiative will eliminate ALL math acceleration prior to 11th grade," he said. "That is not an exaggeration, nor does there appear to be any discretion in how local districts implement this. All 6th graders will take Foundational Concepts 6. All 7th graders will take Foundational Concepts 7. All 10th graders will take Essential Concepts 10. Only in 11th and 12th grade is there any opportunity for choice in higher math courses."

His post included a chart with what appeared to be set math courses for 2022-2030.

VDOE spokesperson Charles Pyle indicated to Fox News that the courses would allow for at least some variation depending on students' skill level. "Differentiated instruction means providing instruction that is catered to the learning needs of each child (appropriate levels of challenge and academic rigor)," Pyle said.

On VDOE's website, the state features an infographic that indicates VMPI would require "concepts" courses for each grade level. It states various goals like "mprove equity in mathematics learning opportunities," "[e]mpower students to be active participants in a quantitative world," and "dentify K-12 mathematics pathways that support future success."

During a webinar posted on YouTube in December, a member of the "essential concepts" committee claimed that the new framework would exclude traditional classes like Algebra 1 and Geometry.

Committee member Ian Shenk, who focused on grades 8-10, said: "Let me be totally clear, we are talking about taking Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra 2 – those three courses that we've known and loved ... and removing them from our high school mathematics program, replacing them with essential concepts for grade eight, nine, and 10."

He added that the concepts courses wouldn't eliminate algebraic ideas but rather interweave multiple strands of mathematics throughout the courses. Those included data analysis, mathematical modeling, functions and algebra, spatial reasoning and probability.

The changes were just the latest of many to prompt concern from parents in the state, which has seen in-fighting over controversial ideas surrounding equity and race.

A Loudoun parent who spoke on the condition of anonymity worried that the changes would "lower standards for all students in the name of equity."

"These changes will have a profound impact on students who excel in STEM related curriculum, weakening our country's ability to compete in a global marketplace for years to come," the parent told Fox News on Thursday.

Ian Prior, a Loudoun parent and former Trump administration official, similarly panned the move as a way to "stifle advancement for gifted students and set them back as they prepare for advanced mathematics in college. This is critical race theory in action and parents should be outraged."

Pyle didn't provide an immediate answer to concerns that the new model would hold kids back. It's unclear how exactly the differentiation would occur. When asked for more details, Pyle said, "Differentiated instruction is designed to provide the appropriate levels of challenge and academic rigor for each student."

The changes come as the state also considered eliminating advanced high school diplomas in an attempt to improve equity.

In a lengthy statement to Fox News, Pyle touted the changes as an avenue to "deeper learning."

"For many years, parents and the system have valued and rewarded speed via acceleration and 'covering content' rather than depth of understanding. The Virginia Mathematics Pathway Initiative shifts to a focus on and value for deeper learning through differentiated instruction on grade level that will promote student development of critical thinking, authentic application and problem solving skills," Pyle said.

Pyle added that VMPI "aims to support increased differentiated learning opportunities within a heterogeneous learning environment, that will promote greater access to advanced mathematical learning for all students before high school graduation.

"Shifting to deeper learning through differentiated instruction, implementation of VMPI will promote student development of critical thinking, authentic application and problem solving skills.

"Offering an inclusive learning environment that engages and challenges students of varied levels of understanding and different interests will be a focus of the common mathematics pathways proposed in grades K-10 ... These pathways seek to restructure mathematics education by focusing instruction on reasoning, real world problem solving, communication and connections while shifting away from an emphasis on computation and routine problem practice."

Later in the statement, he adds: "VMPI implementation teams continue to work on addressing these considerations while moving forward to improve equity in mathematics opportunities for all students. VMPI Community meetings being offered this spring are intended to provide initial information regarding the initiative, but also be a venue in which feedback can be collected."

It's unclear how these changes would affect each school district, but VDOE said it's currently gathering feedback regarding public concerns.

"The VMPI implementation team (VDOE, college and university staff, and school division staff) is currently working to seek feedback to help ensure local implementation practices address concerns like the shift from acceleration to deeper learning," said Pyle.
Not enough diversity, I'm sure.

April 22, 2021

His post included a chart with what appeared to be set math courses for 2022-2030.

VDOE spokesperson Charles Pyle indicated to Fox News that the courses would allow for at least some variation depending on students' skill level. "Differentiated instruction means providing instruction that is catered to the learning needs of each child (appropriate levels of challenge and academic rigor)," Pyle said.

On VDOE's website, the state features an infographic that indicates VMPI would require "concepts" courses for each grade level. It states various goals like "mprove equity in mathematics learning opportunities," "[e]mpower students to be active participants in a quantitative world," and "dentify K-12 mathematics pathways that support future success."

During a webinar posted on YouTube in December, a member of the "essential concepts" committee claimed that the new framework would exclude traditional classes like Algebra 1 and Geometry.

Committee member Ian Shenk, who focused on grades 8-10, said: "Let me be totally clear, we are talking about taking Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra 2 – those three courses that we've known and loved ... and removing them from our high school mathematics program, replacing them with essential concepts for grade eight, nine, and 10."

He added that the concepts courses wouldn't eliminate algebraic ideas but rather interweave multiple strands of mathematics throughout the courses. Those included data analysis, mathematical modeling, functions and algebra, spatial reasoning and probability.

The changes were just the latest of many to prompt concern from parents in the state, which has seen in-fighting over controversial ideas surrounding equity and race.

A Loudoun parent who spoke on the condition of anonymity worried that the changes would "lower standards for all students in the name of equity."

"These changes will have a profound impact on students who excel in STEM related curriculum, weakening our country's ability to compete in a global marketplace for years to come," the parent told Fox News on Thursday.

Ian Prior, a Loudoun parent and former Trump administration official, similarly panned the move as a way to "stifle advancement for gifted students and set them back as they prepare for advanced mathematics in college. This is critical race theory in action and parents should be outraged."

Pyle didn't provide an immediate answer to concerns that the new model would hold kids back. It's unclear how exactly the differentiation would occur. When asked for more details, Pyle said, "Differentiated instruction is designed to provide the appropriate levels of challenge and academic rigor for each student."

The changes come as the state also considered eliminating advanced high school diplomas in an attempt to improve equity.

In a lengthy statement to Fox News, Pyle touted the changes as an avenue to "deeper learning."

"For many years, parents and the system have valued and rewarded speed via acceleration and 'covering content' rather than depth of understanding. The Virginia Mathematics Pathway Initiative shifts to a focus on and value for deeper learning through differentiated instruction on grade level that will promote student development of critical thinking, authentic application and problem solving skills," Pyle said.

Pyle added that VMPI "aims to support increased differentiated learning opportunities within a heterogeneous learning environment, that will promote greater access to advanced mathematical learning for all students before high school graduation.

"Shifting to deeper learning through differentiated instruction, implementation of VMPI will promote student development of critical thinking, authentic application and problem solving skills.

"Offering an inclusive learning environment that engages and challenges students of varied levels of understanding and different interests will be a focus of the common mathematics pathways proposed in grades K-10 ... These pathways seek to restructure mathematics education by focusing instruction on reasoning, real world problem solving, communication and connections while shifting away from an emphasis on computation and routine problem practice."

Later in the statement, he adds: "VMPI implementation teams continue to work on addressing these considerations while moving forward to improve equity in mathematics opportunities for all students. VMPI Community meetings being offered this spring are intended to provide initial information regarding the initiative, but also be a venue in which feedback can be collected."

It's unclear how these changes would affect each school district, but VDOE said it's currently gathering feedback regarding public concerns.

"The VMPI implementation team (VDOE, college and university staff, and school division staff) is currently working to seek feedback to help ensure local implementation practices address concerns like the shift from acceleration to deeper learning," said Pyle.
When you treat everyone the same you only alienate the high performers.

Taking advanced math was my ticket to a great career and a better life than my parents had. If you are a parent of young kids today, I empathize with how hard it has to be dealing with all of this insanity.
I also got pretty heavy into advanced math, having a B.S. in Electrical Engineering. I liked it, and if you were proficient at running a scientific calculator, it was easy... Trig, Calculus, Quadratics, etc... I always got straight A's. You have to be a real putz to fail basic Math.

Here is the true definition of what the Left means by "EQUITY":

Lower the bar until the dumbest minority person can step over it.
So true and it's what made school hell for many students. Everything was aimed at the level of the lowest common denominator so everyone lost interest...the dumbest and the brightest.
Get fucked Virginia.

I have to hand it to the elites promoting globalist government. These men and women are geniuses. And they have the gravitas to do this while we have the endless amount of people who sell out for their comfortable lives while helping to destroy a nation.

April 22, 2021

Well I guess there goes AP calculus in a person's senior year.

April 22, 2021

When you treat everyone the same you only alienate the high performers.
High IQs Must Use Their Brains to Hack Into the Bank Accounts of the Talent-Insulting Plutocracy

Only inferior people, including elitist snobs, have a desperate need to force us to accept the concept of equality.

By the way, "equity" comes a word meaning "horse." Only Romans who could afford a war horse were allowed to own businesses. It should not be used to denote equality. The Illiterate Liberal Language Lords have created this confusion.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
Dimwinger plan for America: Dumb everyone down to the lowest level.

Private school and homeschool kids will destroy public school kids in the real world
Liberalism Is a False-Flag Tool of the Right Wing

Therefore, the forbidden conclusion is that dumbed-down public education is a tool of the plutocracy.

April 22, 2021

Few will read your full post. Of those that do, few will realize the incredible importance of it for both future US economic competitiveness and allowing gifted youth to reach their full potential.

Like you, I got a "5" on the AP Calculus test in high school. It helped me skip three expensive courses in college which I did not need, and enter the professional workforce a semester earlier than otherwise.

When we lower standards, we will naturally get a decrease in performance. The converse is also true.

PS: Back in 2019, The College Board which administers the SAT test added secret scoring to the SAT that is a function of the test taker's "social-economic adversity." I.e, the person't genetics and address.

The US has gone nuts, and China is rejoicing as we divide ourselves, put ourselves out of work, put ourselves at a competitive disadvantage due to climate issues, defund and demonize our law enforcement, decriminalize everything, lower standards of performance, and change from educating our youth to indoctrinating them.

Regards,
Jim

Forum List

Back