Epidural steroid injection for lower back pain

I had one a couple years ago for Sciatica, but didn't help with the pain at all. I didn't go for surgery either.

For me, taking aspirin alternating with Tylenol took enough of the edge off that I could still function.. But taking 2 or 3 at a time, every few hours, every day for over a year was screwing with my liver & kidneys. I started digging for info too.

With arthritis, bone & joint degeneration, it's important to have strong core muscles to better support the spine & relieve some of that pressure that's causing the pain. Find some good exercises that target those areas that work for you. Doesn't mean to bust your ass trying to be Ms. body builder or anything, just put those muscles to work. Start small and build on that, and only do what you can do. It's not an overnight fix, but a few minutes here & there atleast once a day will help in the long run.

Just remember, if they can slip with the scalpel, they can slip with the needle too. Just sayin, but sometimes you have to trust their 'expertise' and experience too. But everyone is different, and they respond differently too, so whether you get the shot, or surgery or try exercise or something else altogether, that's your choice. Best of luck
I think I will stick to advil (although it fucks with my innards) and the 1 measley vicodin. I hafta have my wits about me so more than 1 will make me too sleepy. I have MrG to take care of and he is falling apart faster than I am. And a wuss, cuz he can't handle much pain whereas I am a Pain Warrior, lol.

Oh, and a scooter. Really REALLY thinking about ordering that 3 wheeler Vive from amazon. Medicare sometimes does pay...sometimes not. Depends, I guess. And with the covid crap, they are balking at anything and everything. So...advil, vicodin, heating pad, SCOOTER.

Anyone have a mobility scooter, 3 wheeler? Do you tip over if yo go too fast around corners? What kind do you have? Anything under 1k and even that is prolly too much for me to pay. Oy.

I bought a walker. I hate it. I feel.....older than old. Being 69, this hit me too soon. It all started when I turned 58, in my pinky of all places. Doc says my RA factor is thru the roof. I just shrug. Granny's hands in her pic look painful. I am not all twisted, thankfully, but my joints are always on fire.

I think I will stick to advil (although it fucks with my innards) and the 1 measley vicodin. I hafta have my wits about me so more than 1 will make me too sleepy. I have MrG to take care of and he is falling apart faster than I am. And a wuss, cuz he can't handle much pain whereas I am a Pain Warrior, lol.

Oh, and a scooter. Really REALLY thinking about ordering that 3 wheeler Vive from amazon. Medicare sometimes does pay...sometimes not. Depends, I guess. And with the covid crap, they are balking at anything and everything. So...advil, vicodin, heating pad, SCOOTER.
Of all the different pain meds they tried giving me, the only one that worked was Valium, but at the time was only given a 10 day supply. Best 10 days of that year to be pain free for a change. I could have, but didn't dare ask for more..........I had abused Valium back in the day, and didn't want to start something I couldn't stop

I got an rx for a muscle relaxer but when I checked out the side effects etc...I freaked and tossed them. Never even took one. I am picky on what drugs I put in my body. I HAVE to have my wits about me due to MrGracie.

Anyone have a mobility scooter, 3 wheeler? Do you tip over if yo go too fast around corners? What kind do you have? Anything under 1k and even that is prolly too much for me to pay. Oy.

Oh good grief there Gracie......I can see it now, you racing all over town on your scooter. Better put a horn on that thing (beep beep, get outta my way!!!) and mind the speed limit :auiqs.jpg:

Of all the different pain meds they tried giving me, the only one that worked was Valium, but at the time was only given a 10 day supply. Best 10 days of that year to be pain free for a change. I could have, but didn't dare ask for more..........I had abused Valium back in the day, and didn't want to start something I couldn't stop
My wife got addicted to the Vicadin that was prescribed for her RA. She is one of the many millions of victims of the opioid epidemic.

Now she can't take any narcotic.

So....I have been told I have degeneration of my spine due to the RA, which causes lower back pain to about kill me. If I stand too long, my left foot goes numb. Both feet tingle constantly but the left foot? The numbness is beginning to climb upwards to the back of my calf. That just started the past few days. And it hurts while being tingly-numb.

Doc said I am a candidate for "surgery" but I declined because one small slip of a scapel and I will wind up in a wheel chair. We did not dicuss what KIND of surgery because I said a resounding NO, so I guess he figured I was closed to any suggestions and dropped the subject.

I was chatting with a lady here at the apts and she said she had an injection. That they gave her a twilight sorta drug where she was aware but would not feel pain...just some "pressure". She said she is due for another shot, that the last one she had lasted her 8 months! So now I hafta talk to Doc some more about this. However, after googling, some websites (Mayo Clinic, etc) said there could be shooting pains the first few days after the injection and it lasts about 3 months.

Therefore, I turn to y'all and ask if you have had this done and what your experience was?

This keeps up and I am going to be in a wheelchair anyway...or mobility scooter. Oy. Growing old is NOT for sissies.

I would recommend accupuncture and capsaicin cream. and lots of melatonin if you have trouble sleeping.

The recommended dose on melatonin is way too low.

She has RA. Everywhere. Feet, hands, back, hips.
Oh, I can relate so much to that. Same here. THANKFULLY not the shoulders (yet) or jaw (yet) or neck (yet) or elbows (yet). Just hands, wrists, feet, knees, back, hips.

So....I have been told I have degeneration of my spine due to the RA, which causes lower back pain to about kill me. If I stand too long, my left foot goes numb. Both feet tingle constantly but the left foot? The numbness is beginning to climb upwards to the back of my calf. That just started the past few days. And it hurts while being tingly-numb.

Doc said I am a candidate for "surgery" but I declined because one small slip of a scapel and I will wind up in a wheel chair. We did not dicuss what KIND of surgery because I said a resounding NO, so I guess he figured I was closed to any suggestions and dropped the subject.

I was chatting with a lady here at the apts and she said she had an injection. That they gave her a twilight sorta drug where she was aware but would not feel pain...just some "pressure". She said she is due for another shot, that the last one she had lasted her 8 months! So now I hafta talk to Doc some more about this. However, after googling, some websites (Mayo Clinic, etc) said there could be shooting pains the first few days after the injection and it lasts about 3 months.

Therefore, I turn to y'all and ask if you have had this done and what your experience was?

This keeps up and I am going to be in a wheelchair anyway...or mobility scooter. Oy. Growing old is NOT for sissies.

My cousin recently had that very same problem, had the operation and now he's done.
One slip of the scalpel is a poor excuse for not having it. You're probably a little hesitant to take good advice.
Suffer the pain if you don't want to help yourself . It's your choice. Good luck.

I would recommend accupuncture and capsaicin cream. and lots of melatonin if you have trouble sleeping.

The recommended dose on melatonin is way too low.
I take 35 to 40 mg of melatonin every night. I start off with 15 (3 gummies of 5gms each). Thats about 10pm. I wake up again at midnight and take two more. Go back to sleep, Up again 2 hours later. Two more gummies.

Check with your doctor about Medicare paying for it.

I have a friend with MS who is in an electric wheelchair. That thing weighs a ton. Probably not what you are looking for.

He did tip over in it once when no one was home. He was pinned between it and his porch railing for five hours. Got a terrible sunburn.

I have since placed Amazon Dots all over his house and on his porch so he can call 9-1-1 or me if something like that ever happens again.

I don't know how advanced your RA is, but I have used an incline board for about 15 years now. I don't do it every day and it's just a couple minutes in two or three sessions when I do it. My back would "go out" on me to the point where I could barely tie my shoes and it would last for a week or two. That never happens anymore. It's not a traction thing it's a Teeter board and you don't have to go back very far at all.

My wife got addicted to the Vicadin that was prescribed for her RA. She is one of the many millions of victims of the opioid epidemic.

Now she can't take any narcotic.
It's easy to do, especially if prescribed by the Dr.

Oh good grief there Gracie......I can see it now, you racing all over town on your scooter. Better put a horn on that thing (beep beep, get outta my way!!!) and mind the speed limit :auiqs.jpg:
Nah. Just to the market and thrift stores. I want one that collapses. The one on Amazon (vive 3 wheeler) weighs 90 lbs...comes apart in 5 pieces with the heaviest piece 27lbs. Easy to load in my van, small enough for this tiny apt I live in. But dayum.....800 bucks ain't nothing to sneeze at. Actually more than that since it does not include the tax.

I take 35 to 40 mg of melatonin every night. I start off with 15 (3 gummies of 5gms each). Thats about 10pm. I wake up again at midnight and take two more. Go back to sleep, Up again 2 hours later. Two more gummies.
If you can find a good herbalist it might help. Getting lots of sunshine is also good for the bones....I used to take shark cartilage.

It's easy to do, especially if prescribed by the Dr.
I see a pain management doc. Love that guy. He's awesome. He gives me 60 vicodins per month but I only take one. He said the other one is for really bad flare ups of which I get at least once a month or so. He knows I won't abuse the drug due to my high tolerance of pain, and my need to take care of MrG with brains functioning to do it.

Forum List

Back