EPIC FAIL- Common Core- Grit and gratitude join reading, writing and arithmetic on report cards

Geaux4it

Intensity Factor 4-Fold
May 31, 2009
Tennessee
What a cluster of epic proportions. Just what the secular progressives have worked so hard for.

-Geaux
============================

Outside Harry Dewey Fundamental Elementary School in Fair Oaks, Amanda Christensen recalled the first time she saw the detailed report card for her three children.

“At first it was very complicated,” Christensen said. “You see all these new things and you don’t understand quite what they mean.”

Case in point: Her kids are now graded on their level of grit.

“What does my child have to do to get a grade in that?” she wondered.

Across the state, report cards are undergoing a sea change in how students are measured for academic performance. Where teachers once graded students on traditional math or English skills, they now judge attributes such as grit, gratitude or being sensitive to others.

Read more here: Grit and gratitude join reading writing and arithmetic on report cards The Sacramento Bee The Sacramento Bee

================

Daily Caller readers have already been introduced to this lesson on possessive nouns doubling as a authoritarian propaganda. The worksheet is intended for third graders, proving that it is never too early to learn that, “An individual’s wants are less important than the nation’s well-being.” What’s next? “Verb Tenses and Why You Love Big Brother, You Have Always Loved Big Brother,” would be a good guess. (RELATED: Would your first grader pass this weird Common Core math test?)

“Dear Family Member.” Parents, break out your brass fasteners and get ready to help your children learn to pronounce words! By spinning circles, or something.

BXIgtVECUAEXHI1.jpg

BXOMZS-IYAElt55.jpg

Conservatives are of course opposed to common core as they are afraid the education would be open to reasoned thought concerning issues they find abhorrent. Red states have some of the worst educational statistics in the country, maybe the world, but that is fine as they need serfs for their workforce and gerrymandered districts. Home schoolers dislike education because education opens up a world the home schooler disagrees with. My wife who has taught math for over thirty years sometimes wonders if book publishers are a driving force behind these changes. Why use old text books? But this America and it is football season and the prime time shows are starting so as Alfred E. said so often 'what me worry.' Americans will remain asleep till inequality grows so large people take to the streets, huh what? You mean they have? Yep, see the McDonald's workers. Hm, interesting huh.

Whenever I read about the whining over education and government I think of all the teachers I know and the stories they tell. America, unlike Finland, for instance looks down on teachers and educators. That's a part of our culture so deeply embedded it's unconscious. Money, fame, and sport are worshipped in America, learning not so much. Watch our so called reality shows and you realize soon dumbness must be a virtue.

"The Nordic countries maintain their dynamism despite high taxation in several ways. Most important, they spend lavishly on research and development and higher education. All of them, but especially Sweden and Finland, have taken to the sweeping revolution in information and communications technology and leveraged it to gain global competitiveness. Sweden now spends nearly 4 percent of GDP on R&D, the highest ratio in the world today. On average, the Nordic nations spend 3 percent of GDP on R&D, compared with around 2 percent in the English-speaking nations." Jeffrey D. Sachs The Social Welfare State beyond Ideology - Scientific American

"Thirty years ago, 10 percent of California’s general revenue fund went to higher education and 3 percent to prisons. Today nearly 11 percent goes to prisons and 8 percent to higher education." Friedman/Mandelbaum in 'That Used To Be Us'

"Democracies have great rational and imaginative powers. They also are prone to some serious flaws in reasoning, to parochialism, haste, sloppiness, selfishness, narrowness of the spirit. Education based mainly on profitability in the global market magnifies these deficiencies, producing a greedy obtuseness and a technically trained docility that threaten the very life of democracy itself, and that certainly impede the creation of a decent world culture." Martha Nussbaum

Conservatives are of course opposed to common core as they are afraid the education would be open to reasoned thought concerning issues they find abhorrent. Red states have some of the worst educational statistics in the country, maybe the world, but that is fine as they need serfs for their workforce and gerrymandered districts. Home schoolers dislike education because education opens up a world the home schooler disagrees with. My wife who has taught math for over thirty years sometimes wonders if book publishers are a driving force behind these changes. Why use old text books? But this America and it is football season and the prime time shows are starting so as Alfred E. said so often 'what me worry.' Americans will remain asleep till inequality grows so large people take to the streets, huh what? You mean they have? Yep, see the McDonald's workers. Hm, interesting huh.

Whenever I read about the whining over education and government I think of all the teachers I know and the stories they tell. America, unlike Finland, for instance looks down on teachers and educators. That's a part of our culture so deeply embedded it's unconscious. Money, fame, and sport are worshipped in America, learning not so much. Watch our so called reality shows and you realize soon dumbness must be a virtue.

"The Nordic countries maintain their dynamism despite high taxation in several ways. Most important, they spend lavishly on research and development and higher education. All of them, but especially Sweden and Finland, have taken to the sweeping revolution in information and communications technology and leveraged it to gain global competitiveness. Sweden now spends nearly 4 percent of GDP on R&D, the highest ratio in the world today. On average, the Nordic nations spend 3 percent of GDP on R&D, compared with around 2 percent in the English-speaking nations." Jeffrey D. Sachs The Social Welfare State beyond Ideology - Scientific American

"Thirty years ago, 10 percent of California’s general revenue fund went to higher education and 3 percent to prisons. Today nearly 11 percent goes to prisons and 8 percent to higher education." Friedman/Mandelbaum in 'That Used To Be Us'

"Democracies have great rational and imaginative powers. They also are prone to some serious flaws in reasoning, to parochialism, haste, sloppiness, selfishness, narrowness of the spirit. Education based mainly on profitability in the global market magnifies these deficiencies, producing a greedy obtuseness and a technically trained docility that threaten the very life of democracy itself, and that certainly impede the creation of a decent world culture." Martha Nussbaum

And liberals are against teacher standards.

Common core is learning prohibitive

-Geaux

CommonCore2.jpg

Home schoolers dislike education because education opens up a world the home schooler disagrees with

Oh, I agree. I also feel that in California there are those who home school to avoid bi-lingual core classes, gang violence, and the secular progressive syllabus, etc.

-Geaux

Forum List

Back