Enlighten a white woman, please

Kwell

Rookie
Nov 7, 2016
(I'm aware that anything I think is based on the experiences I've had, things I've seen, and my own interpretations of the world. I don't think I'm the voice of truth or the expert on anything. Probably not even myself. I'm willing to be wrong on just about anything).

It has recently occurred to me that there is a wide divide between white women and women of color based on how we prioritize our identities. It seems to me that white women see gender over race, and seek a bond of sisterhood with all women - that our issues as women are ubiquitous, our sufferings similar, and our desires often align.

However I am often told that women of color see race before gender. A white woman, no matter what she has suffered, is still white and experiences privileges which will necessarily blind her to the realities of the lives of minority women. This precludes and excludes that sense of solidarity.

From my own experience, I do not feel that white men are inviting me into their world of white privilege, nor including me in their personal demographic. Since women of color also find me too "other" to be part of their identity, this leaves white women standing alone, with little voice and zero audience. If I stand up for myself, I might hear "you're too sensitive" or "white woman fragility," but either way it's the same "shut up, your words are worthless to me." I don't mean to compare my suffering to any other human suffering, or to rank my struggles anywhere along some line, or to participate in some Oppression Olympics. No matter what we've been through, somebody has it worse and somebody has it better. I'm not special. I'm not unique. But nobody can judge what I've seen or endured because of what I look like. Mostly I just don't want to be alone. I want to be seen, and to be heard. I want to see and hear someone else. Not from a shouting match but from a perspective of coming together to share the burdens, even if one burden may seem larger than another to the one carrying it.

Please educate me as to why women, who make up the larger percentage of the population, aren't standing together. Our collective voices and votes would do more to improve the world than anything else. We have the largest chance of making a difference in the world together, because we have the raw numbers. Why are we infighting and alienating each other based on race? Why do white women and women of color see that so differently? Or do we? Am I seeing it wrong? EDUCATE ME. What do I not see? Show it to me so I can understand.

Even on the verge of a woman being elected President of the US, I fear Hillary will be seen as an anomaly rather than a validation of the minds, drive, and strength of women. If anything, bitterness over women could surge (see the last 8 years).

Am I blind? If so, open my eyes. Explain to me why I'm actually too sensitive, or why i'm the personification of white fragility. Make me understand why my voice is annoying and not really relevant. Help me understand why being white invalidates my desire for unity and makes it seem silly or frivolous or unenlightened.

(I'm aware that anything I think is based on the experiences I've had, things I've seen, and my own interpretations of the world. I don't think I'm the voice of truth or the expert on anything. Probably not even myself. I'm willing to be wrong on just about anything).

It has recently occurred to me that there is a wide divide between white women and women of color based on how we prioritize our identities. It seems to me that white women see gender over race, and seek a bond of sisterhood with all women - that our issues as women are ubiquitous, our sufferings similar, and our desires often align.

However I am often told that women of color see race before gender. A white woman, no matter what she has suffered, is still white and experiences privileges which will necessarily blind her to the realities of the lives of minority women. This precludes and excludes that sense of solidarity.

From my own experience, I do not feel that white men are inviting me into their world of white privilege, nor including me in their personal demographic. Since women of color also find me too "other" to be part of their identity, this leaves white women standing alone, with little voice and zero audience. If I stand up for myself, I might hear "you're too sensitive" or "white woman fragility," but either way it's the same "shut up, your words are worthless to me." I don't mean to compare my suffering to any other human suffering, or to rank my struggles anywhere along some line, or to participate in some Oppression Olympics. No matter what we've been through, somebody has it worse and somebody has it better. I'm not special. I'm not unique. But nobody can judge what I've seen or endured because of what I look like. Mostly I just don't want to be alone. I want to be seen, and to be heard. I want to see and hear someone else. Not from a shouting match but from a perspective of coming together to share the burdens, even if one burden may seem larger than another to the one carrying it.

Please educate me as to why women, who make up the larger percentage of the population, aren't standing together. Our collective voices and votes would do more to improve the world than anything else. We have the largest chance of making a difference in the world together, because we have the raw numbers. Why are we infighting and alienating each other based on race? Why do white women and women of color see that so differently? Or do we? Am I seeing it wrong? EDUCATE ME. What do I not see? Show it to me so I can understand.

Even on the verge of a woman being elected President of the US, I fear Hillary will be seen as an anomaly rather than a validation of the minds, drive, and strength of women. If anything, bitterness over women could surge (see the last 8 years).

Am I blind? If so, open my eyes. Explain to me why I'm actually too sensitive, or why i'm the personification of white fragility. Make me understand why my voice is annoying and not really relevant. Help me understand why being white invalidates my desire for unity and makes it seem silly or frivolous or unenlightened.
You are a self hating dolt.

Women "of color" have no choice but to laugh at you.

Well that clears that up. What a relief. I thought it might be something else.

I'll go sit in my puddle of self-loathing, now. Thanks!

Well that clears that up. What a relief. I thought it might be something else.

I'll go sit in my puddle of self-loathing, now. Thanks!
The truth is, black culture has serious problems. Its not producing a great product at the moment, to put it bluntly. There is a lot of misbehavior and bad attitudes among black people. Its probably not a thing we will see corrected in our lifetime, but i have to assume they will eventually get better. Their culture will be swallowed by a more dominant culture, and everything will even out.

Your misfortune is compounded by the FACT that the woman chosen to represent other women is an inept, criminally culpable detriment to this country. It is too bad, a crying shame, that a better woman could not have been presented to represent all the women of this nation. Seriously, does HRC represent you as a person, as an American? Or is she a mobile life support system for a vagina that deserves support as another life-support system for a vagina?
White, black, yellow, red, rainbow...are you represented, or not?

Were all born who we are. You should relax, it's not your fault. Disparities exist in nature for a reason, it breeds more need for effort and creates excellence. worrying about trying to change the world yourself is useless , I think your considering gender and race, but what about religion and culture? All women in the world cant come together probably for the same reason all the men in the world cant come together. Just be happy making a difference in your small circle i think

I dont quite understand this ....

I dont think anyone serious believes Hillary is representative of the majority of women. Why would a man be bitter towards women for Hillary's sake? She's more seen as a power hungry and driven politician who wants to constantly bring up the fact that she's a woman. If she just ran on policy issues, this wouldn't even be half the issue it is. Its the Left that is continuously reminding us that she's a woman, as if theres so much riding on that fact.

Apparently you don't want to be enlightened. You want to talk people to death.

Black male here. Despite your trials and tribulations with white men, the fact remains that yes you still are white and subject to those privileges. Take for example AA. This should have been for Blacks but white women specifically have benefited from it the most. As far as Black women go white women get the credit for many things Black women started. There is a general distrust that goes way back as well. My wife told me that white women will be your best friend one moment and then throw you under the bus the next. There is a long list of things I have heard from Black women regarding white women. Its not a pretty list.

Classic example of a WTF moment.....
Why do you feel the need to be liked by all women? I know as a man I sure as hell dont seek out the approval of all males.
People are different in a myriad of ways...not just gender.

I dont think anyone serious believes Hillary is representative of the majority of women. Why would a man be bitter towards women for Hillary's sake? She's more seen as a power hungry and driven politician who wants to constantly bring up the fact that she's a woman. If she just ran on policy issues, this wouldn't even be half the issue it is. Its the Left that is continuously reminding us that she's a woman, as if theres so much riding on that fact.
Why is it threatening that she is a woman? Whats wrong with stating that? You cant pretend you dont see someone is a woman, or mexican, or a lot of things. Why does it hurt white men to hear someone state that they are proud of being a certain group?

Why is it threatening that she is a woman? Whats wrong with stating that? You cant pretend you dont see someone is a woman, or mexican, or a lot of things. Why does it hurt white men to hear someone state that they are proud of being a certain group?

Sounds like you missread me somehow, ...who says she's a threat by being a woman? but making such a big deal of it is silly. Why does it matter if a president is a man or a woman? and what does my opinion have to do with me being white? how do you know how or where i was raised? you assume a whole lot by peoples color

Sounds like you missread me somehow, ...who says she's a threat by being a woman? but making such a big deal of it is silly. Why does it matter if a president is a man or a woman? and what does my opinion have to do with me being white? how do you know how or where i was raised? you assume a whole lot by peoples color

I didnt misread you. You were complaining about being reminded that she was a woman.

Its the Left that is continuously reminding us that she's a woman, as if theres so much riding on that fact.

Why is that threatening for you to hear?

I didnt misread you. You were complaining about being reminded that she was a woman.

Its the Left that is continuously reminding us that she's a woman, as if theres so much riding on that fact.

Why is that threatening for you to hear?

No , not threatened, and not even complaining. Just making an observation of what the Left does in an election. Its just the game they play. Please note , sometimes a white guy can make an observation and write it down on a message board and it doesn't mean he's a threatened white man. I understand its a difficult concept for you,

I know both white women and black women, so I guess I can enlighten about a few things. The key is legislation. Most legislation about women's rights were written in an age of mass industrial factory environment, for women in mass employment. In the 21st century this is gone, and so these laws introduce the same racial divide between women as the olden competition for factory jobs introduced between men.

[...]

I don't wish to begin my reply to your question by asking another question, but the first thought that occurs to me, an (older) White male, is the rather common observation that substantially more White women are seen in the company of Black men than are Black women seen in the company of White men.

What in your opinion accounts for that glaring disparity?

[...]

I don't wish to begin my reply to your question by asking another question, but the first thought that occurs to me, an (older) White male, is the rather common observation that substantially more White women are seen in the company of Black men than are Black women seen in the company of White men.

Because obesity amongst black women is more than amongst white women?m

[...]

Because obesity amongst black women is more than amongst white women?m

Racist people like yourself are a product of accumulated insecurity which builds up over a period of time due to lack of personal accomplishments. To make yourself feel more secure you fabricate things about other races because this is easier than working hard and actually getting ahead in life.

The only thing I know about Negro women is what my mom told me as a kid -- hands off !!!

I know both white women and black women, so I guess I can enlighten about a few things. The key is legislation. Most legislation about women's rights were written in an age of mass industrial factory environment, for women in mass employment. In the 21st century this is gone, and so these laws introduce the same racial divide between women as the olden competition for factory jobs introduced between men.
Negro women want babies for welfare money.

White women want hubbies for money.

Big difference.

All stems from the difference between Negro men vs white men.

Forum List

Back