English slowly replaces all other languages on a international level

Mortimer

Gold Member
To me not a bad thing. It will bring humanity closer, as language is a important tool for communication, the main tool for communication, and good communication brings people together. Everyone should from early age learn english. I dont expect old people like my mum to learn it now, but just give it some time, that more people learn it.

I have always found the etymology of languages fascinating.

Without the various influences and culture, and ancient influences. . what would the language be?

I remember when I was a Senior in H.S. learning about which words had Latin origin, Saxon origin, Gaelic/Celtic origin and Norse Origin. Now, there are even more international words in the language.

To me not a bad thing. It will bring humanity closer, as language is a important tool for communication, the main tool for communication, and good communication brings people together. Everyone should from early age learn english. I dont expect old people like my mum to learn it now, but just give it some time, that more people learn it.
English is the next closest language to the German you are probably most familiar with, barring Swedish, Norwegian, and Danish, which are nearly the same language.

Spanish // Portuguese // French // Italian are all somewhat more or less mutually intelligible, too. More popular among Hispanics and other Latinos. Probably at least as many speakers as English.

Unfortunately, all this COVID shit is greatly accelerating the loss of endangered languages all over the world. Priceless treasures of the human experience are being lost that can never be recovered.

Unfortunately, all this COVID shit is greatly accelerating the loss of endangered languages all over the world. Priceless treasures of the human experience are being lost that can never be recovered.
Those "treasures" can be recovered especially with artificial languages. I like High Valyrian, and anyone can learn one or more "endangered languages".

Those "treasures" can be recovered especially with artificial languages. I like High Valyrian, and anyone can learn one or more "endangered languages".
Nope. It doesn't work like that.

Slowly? WTF have you been the last 70 years?

English is the next closest language to the German you are probably most familiar with, barring Swedish, Norwegian, and Danish, which are nearly the same language.

Spanish // Portuguese // French // Italian are all somewhat more or less mutually intelligible, too. More popular among Hispanics and other Latinos. Probably at least as many speakers as English.
There is a language called Frisian you may not be aware of: Frisian languages - Wikipedia

Some people feel that China will never become a genuinely influential nation -- because of its written language.

I agree that a language must have an alphabet if it is to influence the world -- as Spanish and French have done in the past.

Now it's the English language's turn to rock!

There is a language called Frisian you may not be aware of: Frisian languages - Wikipedia
>>>One rhyme demonstrates the palpable similarity between Frisian and English: "Butter, bread and green cheese is good English and good Frisian," which is pronounced more or less the same in both languages (West Frisian: "Bûter, brea en griene tsiis is goed Ingelsk en goed Frysk.") [17]<<<​
That's on the Continent just across from Great Britain. I'd still call it pretty much the same language, English as much as Welsh or Irish, Scottish, Gaelic dialects, etc. Not all of them are easy to understand from American or international standard British English, of course.

>>>One rhyme demonstrates the palpable similarity between Frisian and English: "Butter, bread and green cheese is good English and good Frisian," which is pronounced more or less the same in both languages (West Frisian: "Bûter, brea en griene tsiis is goed Ingelsk en goed Frysk.") [17]<<<​
That's on the Continent just across from Great Britain. I'd still call it pretty much the same language, English as much as Welsh or Irish, Scottish, Gaelic dialects, etc. Not all of them are easy to understand from American or international standard British English, of course.
Frisian is no more a dialect of English than Swedish is of German, for example.

That is not true.
I tend to agree with you there, I'm in New Zealand and the government is doing a lot to preserve the local Maori language , Its taught in schools, and well supported in all government departments and is one of the official languages , along with Sign and English,,

OMG a Chinese Keyboard.
chinese keyboard.jpg

This is an epiphany? For God's sake man, it's been going on for about 60 years.

Forum List

Back