English-only workplaces spark lawsuits

red states rule

May 30, 2006
What the hell is wrong with this picture?

By Stephanie Armour, USA TODAY
Some companies are adopting policies that require employees to speak only English on the job, spurring a backlash of lawsuits alleging that such rules can discriminate against immigrants.
The English-only policies are coming as the number of immigrants in the USA soars: Nearly 11 million residents are not fluent in English, according to U.S. Census data, up from 6.6 million in 1990. Nearly 34 million residents are foreign-born, according to 2003 U.S. Census data. That's up from 24.6 million in 1996.

"This is becoming a much bigger issue," says Amy McAndrew, an employment lawyer at Philadelphia-based Pepper Hamilton. "Employers want to have policies because of safety and customer service, but they have to be careful not to be discriminatory."

Employers may legally adopt an English-only speaking rule if they can show it is a business necessity, such as the need for communication with co-workers and customers or safety-sensitive situations where use of a common language could prevent an emergency, she says.

But Ronna Timpa, owner of Workplace ESL Solutions in Henderson, Nev., says employers go too far in adopting strict policies that prevent co-workers from talking in their native language even during lunch.

For the complete article

http://www.usatoday.com/money/workplace/2007-05-06-english-only-usat_N.htm

I think in america, english should be the only language allowed in the workplace. That means no spanish, hebrew, german, italian or any other language.

This is america, immigrants are supposed to assimilate not the other way around.

We do not owe people who break the law, and enter this country illegally, a free education, emergency healthcare, citizenship or anything else.

we can discuss what to do about it, but dont demand a free lunch, if you break into my house.

Pedro's Immigration Test

Yellow, Pink, and Gree n

Pedro's was trying to get into the USA legally through Immigration.

The Officer said, "Mujibar, you have passed all the tests, except there is one more test. Unless you pass it, you cannot enter the United States of America "

Pedro said, "I am ready."

The officer said, "Make a sentence using the words Yellow, Pink and Green."

Pedro thought for a few minutes and said,
"Mister Officer, I am ready."

The Officer said, "Go ahead."

Pedro said, "The telephone goes green, green, green, and I pink it up, and say, 'Yellow', this is Mujibar.'"

Pedro now lives in a neighborhood near you and works at a Verizon help desk.

I talked to him yesterday.

Pedro's Immigration Test

Yellow, Pink, and Gree n

Pedro's was trying to get into the USA legally through Immigration.

The Officer said, "Mujibar, you have passed all the tests, except there is one more test. Unless you pass it, you cannot enter the United States of America "

Pedro said, "I am ready."

The officer said, "Make a sentence using the words Yellow, Pink and Green."

Pedro thought for a few minutes and said,
"Mister Officer, I am ready."

The Officer said, "Go ahead."

Pedro said, "The telephone goes green, green, green, and I pink it up, and say, 'Yellow', this is Mujibar.'"

Pedro now lives in a neighborhood near you and works at a Verizon help desk.

I talked to him yesterday.

Me too!

Hola, es 911. Que es problema?

http://blog.vdare.com/archives/2007/05/04/eeoc-harasses-salvation-army-for-speaking-english/

Fuck the lawsuits. Sorry that so many of us actually DON'T know Spanish or any other language (I know German and English and refuse to learn Spanish).

Fuck the lawsuits. Sorry that so many of us actually DON'T know Spanish or any other language (I know German and English and refuse to learn Spanish).

I learned a little Spanish in college, but I've come to hate the language so much because it's the language of our displacement. So I actually made a conscious effort to forget what I could. Every time I hear Spanish chatter, it's like someone's raping the future of America.

I learned a little Spanish in college, but I've come to hate the language so much because it's the language of our displacement. So I actually made a conscious effort to forget what I could. Every time I hear Spanish chatter, it's like someone's raping the future of America.

The way the illegals are pouring in, making Amercia change to please them - Taco Bell may well be the nations phone company one day

Forum List

Back