English IS the official language of the United States

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
I don't get why this is such a controversy.

"The following is a list of sovereign states and non-sovereign entities where English is an official language, i.e., the language of government. In 2012, there were 60 sovereign states and 28 non-sovereign entities where English was an official language."
List of countries where English is an official language - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's also the official language of international business.

How is the "official language" offensive to immigrants? I don't complain Mexico's is Spanish, Or Israel's is Hebrew. And if I wanna go and live there I'm gonna learn the local lingo, not fold my arms across my chest and insist the country in which I'm a guest conforms to accomodate me.

I don't think the United States has an official language.

Just the same, a common language is necessary for cohesion and commerce. Our increasing tolerance for bilingualism is not good for our culture.

More languages our citizens have some familiarity with the better off they'll be. Especially in business applications.

Insofar as official language goes though, English is it. Passing a superfluous law stating that though is redundant. Would argue though since most all traffic signs are in English, making DMV tests in English-only is just good sense. Wanna speak your native language everywhere else fine, but making sure you can read traffic signs is in everyone's best interest at the very least. Wanna make US citizenship tests avail in other languages I have no problem there. Just like to think you know what "STOP" means. :)

English borrows frequently from other languages as it is. Many words we think are English are in fact other languages. So complaining about multi-lingualism is kinda silly.

English is the official language. Or at least unofficially it is.

I always liked the old joke, "If you speak 2 languages you are bilingual. If you speak 3 languages you are trilingual. If you speak more than 3 you are multilingual. And if you only speak 1 language you are an American."

More languages our citizens have some familiarity with the better off they'll be. Especially in business applications.

Insofar as official language goes though, English is it. Passing a superfluous law stating that though is redundant. Would argue though since most all traffic signs are in English, making DMV tests in English-only is just good sense. Wanna speak your native language everywhere else fine, but making sure you can read traffic signs is in everyone's best interest at the very least. Wanna make US citizenship tests avail in other languages I have no problem there. Just like to think you know what "STOP" means. :)

weird. when i took my license test i had to recognize traffic signs without the words on them. i mean all stop signs are red octagons for a reason, right?

Progressives have to object to anything that makes sense.

They need a reason to cry racism, language helps them on that.

English IS the official language of the United States

Fuck that

I want AMERICAN to be our official language

Municipalities, States and the Federal government spend 10s of millions each year supporting a multi-lingual society.
The Party that ends that "party" will lose voters.

English is the official language. Or at least unofficially it is.

I always liked the old joke, "If you speak 2 languages you are bilingual. If you speak 3 languages you are trilingual. If you speak more than 3 you are multilingual. And if you only speak 1 language you are an American."

Southern English or Yankee talk?:)

I enjoyed learning Latin during legal education and reading Nostradamus, also had to learn French. After 30 years of not using the languages I learned to include Spanish, I lost the knowledge I once had..

I enjoyed learning Latin during legal education and reading Nostradamus, also had to learn French. After 30 years of not using the languages I learned to include Spanish, I lost the knowledge I once had..

Well, go get it back!

Latin is the most epic and beautiful language.

It's dead, Jim, dead!

Well, go get it back!
I really should along with an updated language course in electronics...

New Topics

Forum List

Back