End The Insanity Of The War on Drugs ~ Start With Decriminalizing Marijuana...

Reasoning

Apr 15, 2010
End The Insanity Of The War on Drugs ~ Start With Decriminalizing Marijuana On The Federal Level
Commentary & Analysis
Congressman Paul

In light of the recent drug-related violence in Mexico, it is appropriate to reflect on how our current prohibition laws affect crime, law enforcement and the economy.

Many will have the knee-jerk reaction of wanting to see more of a crackdown on illegal drugs. But I have to ask: Haven't we been cracking down on drugs for several decades only to see the black market flourish and the violence escalate? Could there be a more effective approach?

The illegality of drugs is, in fact, the Number One factor that keeps profits up for dealers and cartels, and ensures that organized crime dominates the market.

Cocaine, for example, has about a 17,000-percent markup and sells for more than gold in some areas. This is nothing new or unique to drugs, but a predictable outcome of prohibition.

During alcohol prohibition, Al Capone and others involved in organized crime made fortunes taking advantage of the dangerous and lucrative underground market the laws had created. Every time law enforcement makes another bust, profits rise for the remaining suppliers. These types of economic forces are insurmountable for law enforcement, but make for very good business for dealers and cartels.

For the rest of us, however, it is a disaster. The war on drugs keeps our prisons full to bursting at great expense to taxpayers, but also at great danger to the public at large when the real criminals, the murderers, the rapists, the child molesters, are let out to make room for non-violent drug offenders.

We imprison more of our population per capita than Russia or China ever have, and yet criminals like Philip Garrido (Jaycee Lee Dugard's kidnapper) are out there able to rape and kidnap again and again. (It is interesting that in his case, a little marijuana caught the attention of law enforcement more than repeated reports from neighbors of children in his backyard).

The War on Drugs skews the priorities of law enforcement to the detriment of the public.

Repeal of alcohol prohibition certainly did organized crime no favors. So too today, if we wanted to pull the rug out from under violent drug cartels, create legitimate job opportunities in place of the black market, realign the priorities of law enforcement, and make room in prison for the people that ought to be there, we need to end the insanity of the War on Drugs.

Decriminalizing marijuana at the federal level would be a start.
© 2010 CNBC.com

I think the government should give drugs away for free to any dumb ass stupid enough to use them.

I think the government should give drugs away for free to any dumb ass stupid enough to use them.

Government's can't do anything for "free". They would need to steal money from their citizens to pay for the labor to make the drugs or they would need to steal the money from their citizens to pay for the purchase of the drugs.

:eusa_angel:

Absolutely correct. And one more detriment to the US from this abysmal failure, the War on Drugs...the creation of power bases within government for such things as the DEA and the Drug Czar. Nothing ensures a problem will last forever more than creating a government agency to solve it.

Legalize everything and let the medical community deal with the issue of addiction. No one in my family is going to start using heroin...and I doubt any other rational people will do so. But all these years of suffering by the US and other nations is enough. Legalize drugs before Mexico drags us into the abyss we have created.

Last edited:
Absolutely correct. And one more detriment to the US from this abysmal failure, the War on Drugs...the creation of power bases within government for such things as the DEA and the Drug Czar. Nothing ensures a problem will last forever more than creating a government agency to solve it.

Legalize everything and let the medical community deal with the issue of addition. No one in my family is going to start using heroin...and I doubt any other rational people will do so. But all these years of suffering by the US and other nations is enough. Legalize drugs before Mexico drags us into the abyss we have created.

I had a problem with addition and went to see my doctor about it. He wrote me a prescription for a pack of those math flash cards. Didn't help me a whole lot...:lol:

Legalize everything and let the medical community deal with the issue of addition. No one in my family is going to start using heroin...and I doubt any other rational people will do so. But all these years of suffering by the US and other nations is enough. Legalize drugs before Mexico drags us into the abyss we have created.

I had a problem with addition and went to see my doctor about it. He wrote me a prescription for a pack of those math flash cards. Didn't help me a whole lot...:lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Hey I bet if we legalized murder, rape and theft, we could reduce crime in this country too!

While i do not see an issue with legalizing certain drugs such as pot. E and maybe shrooms certain ones I have concerns about. Things like meth and heroin and maybe coke are simply too addictive and life disrupting to just let people use them. Also any goverment legalization would require goverment control, similar I would think to state run booze stores. There would have to be a limit to how much can be dispensed at a certain time. With the drugs i mentioned soon the amount wouldn't be enough, and they would have to go to illiegal sources.

One benefit of at least legalizing some would be better focus on the bad ones.

Hey I bet if we legalized murder, rape and theft, we could reduce crime in this country too!

Victimless crimes are not crimes. ie: doing drugs

Crimes with victims are crimes. ie: murder, rape, theft

L2LOGICPLZ

Yeah, 'cus smoking marijuana totally does as much harm as "murder, rape and theft." :thup:

I don't particularly care if they legalize it or not. I'll smoke either way.

Hey I bet if we tied you up threw you in the back of a pick up truck and dropped you off in a desert somewhere in Mexico we could reduce stupidity in this county.

Are you suggesting that they wont profit if drugs are legalized?

For the most part, yes.

In the 1920s and 30s urban gangs made huge profits off of the black market sale of alcohol. How many people make it rich by selling side of the road homemade alcoholic beverages today? How many gangs now make millions and are totally funded off of the trade and sale of alcoholic beverages.

There are no denying the facts. Prohibition is a failure. It was a failure in the 30s when it caused violence in the inner cities. It's a failure now that it's causing violence in the inner cities. It's a failure that with the formation of all these gangs that thrive off of the drug trade and all of these murders going on daily in the inner cities of this nation, is down right CRIMINAL.

The only correction for this failure is decriminalization.

Government's can't do anything for "free". They would need to steal money from their citizens to pay for the labor to make the drugs or they would need to steal the money from their citizens to pay for the purchase of the drugs.

DAMN!!! So much for free healthcare...I knew it sounded too good to be true.

While i do not see an issue with legalizing certain drugs such as pot. E and maybe shrooms certain ones I have concerns about. Things like meth and heroin and maybe coke are simply too addictive and life disrupting to just let people use them. Also any goverment legalization would require goverment control, similar I would think to state run booze stores. There would have to be a limit to how much can be dispensed at a certain time. With the drugs i mentioned soon the amount wouldn't be enough, and they would have to go to illiegal sources.

One benefit of at least legalizing some would be better focus on the bad ones.

It's not daddy gubbamint's job to protect people from themselves.

If you want to ruin your life doing crazy shit that doesn't make any sense like meth, you should be free to do it. Taking my hard earned tax dollars to try to prevent stupid people from being stupid is a possibility that I absolutely detest. Our policy towards marijuana in this nation should be legalization simply because it has medical value and because it's largely harmless compared to a lot of these legal pharmaceutical drugs that kill more people month than weed ever has. Towards other drugs we should decriminalize. You can't fight a war against drugs because that inevitably becomes a war against people. Plus, even if it was possible to get rid of Meth or some of these other "hardcore" drugs people would find other (just as dangerous) ways to get high. Stupid people do what stupid people do. Let them live and keep your hands out of my pockets.

DAMN!!! So much for free healthcare...I knew it sounded too good to be true.

I hope you didn't think Obama could get you free health care.:eusa_angel:

Are you suggesting that they wont profit if drugs are legalized?

For the most part, yes.

In the 1920s and 30s urban gangs made huge profits off of the black market sale of alcohol. How many people make it rich by selling side of the road homemade alcoholic beverages today? How many gangs now make millions and are totally funded off of the trade and sale of alcoholic beverages.

There are no denying the facts. Prohibition is a failure. It was a failure in the 30s when it caused violence in the inner cities. It's a failure now that it's causing violence in the inner cities. It's a failure that with the formation of all these gangs that thrive off of the drug trade and all of these murders going on daily in the inner cities of this nation, is down right CRIMINAL.

The only correction for this failure is decriminalization.

I see your point...and now that alchohol can be bought from one of 1,000's of brands, types and flavors, we have the ability to develop 1000's of brands,types and flavors of weed.

Holy shit! Just think...we could see new sponsors in Nascar...

"The #5 BIG BUD Ford is really movin around the track today, Bob! Yeah, dude...he's really smokin today! And check out the White Widow Chevy, driven by Nascar's new lady driving sensation Mary Jane Bongwater! She's got that car rollin fast and running high around the track! Whoa!! Look out everybody...keep a close eye on the Purple Haze car driven by Smokin' Joe Stoner. He seems to be having some engine trouble. I see smoke coming from under the hood...no...wait...it's coming from the driver's compartment. He'll be fine...seems he just lit up a fatty....

We'll be back with more of the Panama Gold 420 after a word from Culican...the gateway drug and Pack-rite Rolling Papers...rollin their own since 1963.

Forum List

Back