End of life is near for a truly fine man

Bfgrn

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2009
I am really sad to hear George McGovern's life is near its end. He is the epitome of a public servant, a humanitarian and leader.

George has done more to end hunger in this world than any other person.

A lifelong leader in the battle against world hunger, McGovern was appointed the first director of the Food for Peace Program by President John F. Kennedy in 1960, and was instrumental in the foundation of WFP in 1963.

220px-JFKennedy_GeorgeMcGovern.jpg

McGovern as Food for Peace director in 1961, with President John F. Kennedy.

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. -- As former Democratic presidential candidate and Sen. George McGovern moved into what may be his final days in a Sioux Falls hospice Tuesday, friends and colleagues praised McGovern as a political and humanitarian giant.

"He has inspired not just one generation, but multiple generations of individuals to get involved in public service," said Donald Simmons, director of the George McGovern Center at Dakota Wesleyan University in Mitchell, McGovern's home town.

The news of McGovern's health decline came as a shock to many people who had seen him recently, including just over a week ago at a South Dakota Symphony Orchestra performance.

"I spoke with him at the symphony this weekend," said Sen. Tim Johnson, D-S.D. "He was frail, but he looked good as ever."

Johnson is one of many people who said McGovern helped change their lives.

"I dreamed of someday following George McGovern," Johnson said of his time in college in the 1960s and '70s. "I didn't think it would occur, but he was a good person to model myself after."

McGovern represented eastern South Dakota in the House of Representatives from 1957 to 1961.

After an unsuccessful challenge to Sen. Karl Mundt in 1960, McGovern was appointed by President John F. Kennedy to lead the Food for Peace Program. He then returned to South Dakota and narrowly won a Senate seat in 1962.

Fighting hunger would be a lifelong passion for McGovern, helping to create the United Nations' World Food Programme and then decades later serving as its U.N. Global Ambassador on World Hunger.

One beneficiary of McGovern's battle against hunger is Ahrar Ahmad, a professor of political science at Black Hills State University. Growing up in what is now Bangladesh, Ahmad said food was always very scarce and Food for Peace saved many lives.

"That was one of those projects that has so much meaning for so many people in the world," Ahmad said.

"It indicates that Americans care, that Americans are generous, that Americans are willing to do something for the education and nutrition of hungry and poor people in the world. It was a remarkable program, and one that I personally benefited from."

Years later, after coming to the United States to pursue a doctorate degree, Ahmad had a chance to meet McGovern and tell him his story.

"He was almost brought to tears," Ahmad said. "Both Senator McGovern and his, wife, Eleanor, they have been very kind to me. I cannot tell you how moved I was that a person of this stature, of this international reputation, would be so warm and so unassuming when it came to me. They were so loving and so caring."

McGovern's wife of 63 years, Eleanor, died in 2007 in Mitchell.

Last edited:
Sounds like a good dude. Even if his answer to hunger was theft.

"A cynic is a man who knows the price of everything but the value of nothing."
Oscar Wilde

"There are people in the world so hungry that God cannot appear to them except in the form of bread."
Mahatma Gandhi

I am really sad to hear George McGovern's life is near its end. He is the epitome of a public servant, a humanitarian and leader.

George has done more to end hunger in this world than any other person.

A lifelong leader in the battle against world hunger, McGovern was appointed the first director of the Food for Peace Program by President John F. Kennedy in 1960, and was instrumental in the foundation of WFP in 1963.

220px-JFKennedy_GeorgeMcGovern.jpg

McGovern as Food for Peace director in 1961, with President John F. Kennedy.

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. -- As former Democratic presidential candidate and Sen. George McGovern moved into what may be his final days in a Sioux Falls hospice Tuesday, friends and colleagues praised McGovern as a political and humanitarian giant.

"He has inspired not just one generation, but multiple generations of individuals to get involved in public service," said Donald Simmons, director of the George McGovern Center at Dakota Wesleyan University in Mitchell, McGovern's home town.

The news of McGovern's health decline came as a shock to many people who had seen him recently, including just over a week ago at a South Dakota Symphony Orchestra performance.

"I spoke with him at the symphony this weekend," said Sen. Tim Johnson, D-S.D. "He was frail, but he looked good as ever."

Johnson is one of many people who said McGovern helped change their lives.

"I dreamed of someday following George McGovern," Johnson said of his time in college in the 1960s and '70s. "I didn't think it would occur, but he was a good person to model myself after."

McGovern represented eastern South Dakota in the House of Representatives from 1957 to 1961.

After an unsuccessful challenge to Sen. Karl Mundt in 1960, McGovern was appointed by President John F. Kennedy to lead the Food for Peace Program. He then returned to South Dakota and narrowly won a Senate seat in 1962.

Fighting hunger would be a lifelong passion for McGovern, helping to create the United Nations' World Food Programme and then decades later serving as its U.N. Global Ambassador on World Hunger.

One beneficiary of McGovern's battle against hunger is Ahrar Ahmad, a professor of political science at Black Hills State University. Growing up in what is now Bangladesh, Ahmad said food was always very scarce and Food for Peace saved many lives.

"That was one of those projects that has so much meaning for so many people in the world," Ahmad said.

"It indicates that Americans care, that Americans are generous, that Americans are willing to do something for the education and nutrition of hungry and poor people in the world. It was a remarkable program, and one that I personally benefited from."

Years later, after coming to the United States to pursue a doctorate degree, Ahmad had a chance to meet McGovern and tell him his story.

"He was almost brought to tears," Ahmad said. "Both Senator McGovern and his, wife, Eleanor, they have been very kind to me. I cannot tell you how moved I was that a person of this stature, of this international reputation, would be so warm and so unassuming when it came to me. They were so loving and so caring."

McGovern's wife of 63 years, Eleanor, died in 2007 in Mitchell.

This hurts. He's a good man. Cripes I'm starting to cry my eyes out again over liberals dying.
It must be the NyQuil. I couldn't give you more rep (I'm getting the spreading around message again)

I'm glad you brought this to our attention. I always considered him a true ambassador of good will but more importantly a true statesman and a man of honor.

Rare breed these days. To be missed.

Last edited:
A fascinating story behind McGovern's appointment as the first director of the Food for Peace Program.

George McGovern: JFK thought he 'cost me that election'

In October of 1960 Vice President Richard Nixon and Senator John Kennedy were invited to speak at the National Corn Picking contest near Sioux Falls, South Dakota. The two presidential candidates, Nixon for the Republicans and Kennedy for the Democrats — each knew this was not an invitation a Presidential candidate did not reject.

An audience of 10,000 farmers from 9 or 10 farm states was anticipated. I had decided in that the year to give up my seat in the US House of Representatives to seek election to the U.S. Senate. My opponent was long time Republican US Senator Karl Mundt.

The sponsors of the Corn Picking event had arranged for Mr. Nixon to be introduced by Senator Mundt. I was to introduce Senator Kennedy.

Both Nixon and Mundt were familiar with agricultural issues. Both did well in meeting head on the central concerns of farmers.

Later in the day when it was Kennedy's time to speak the South Dakota weather had worsened. It was raining, the temperature had dropped and the wind was blowing hard.

I knew that Kennedy had little experience with agriculture except for the cranberries of Massachusetts. Someone had written a speech for him that bombed out. He struggled with the rain, the cold and the wind.

After we got on his plane at the Sioux Falls airport to fly to my hometown at Mitchell, where he was to address another large audience at the Corn Palace, he said "George, I just bombed out. What do you think I should do at the Corn Palace?"

"I think, Jack that you should get rid of that speech. It's no good anyway. Just walk out on stage and say: I disagree with Secretary of Agriculture Ezra Taft Benson who tells us that farm surpluses are the basic problem of agriculture. I believe the abundant production of our farmers is a great national treasure. I believe you farmers can do more than any other Americans to strengthen our position in the world if we recognize that food is health, food is strength, food is peace.

If I'm elected president I'm going to appoint a new Food for Peace Director, put his office in the White House, and order him to use our farm surpluses to reduce hunger in the world. "

On Election Day, I lost South Dakota by one percent in my Senate race with Karl Mundt. President Kennedy was overwhelmed in South Dakota but he was elected nationally by the incredibly narrow margin of 120,000 votes.

On Friday evening after the election, I was of course cheered by President Kennedy's victory but saddened by my own defeat. Eleanor and I were having dinner with some South Dakota friends when the phone rang. "George, this is Jack Kennedy. I'm sorry I cost you that election."

"Jack, you didn't cost me that election. The voters did." "No, Bobby told me what happened. Before you make any plans, please come to see me." He said.

Within a short time he named me the nation's first White House Food for Peace Director.

We tripled the amount of farm surpluses going abroad to hungry nations. India alone received 4 million tons of grain annually. We set up school lunch programs abroad — in scores of poor nations. We set up food for wages programs to build roads, schools, clinics in which workers received half of their wages in kind and the remainder in cash.

Eleanor always thought this was the best job I ever had. If so, I think it began in October 1960, in a conversation at the National Corn Picking contest and the world's only Corn Palace.

George McGovern

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich.
President John F. Kennedy

Last edited:
McGovern is a man of principles who did not shirk his duty to America when called to action. He flew 35 missions over Nazi-occupied Europe in a B-24 and was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross for landing his crippled aircraft and saving his crew.

Where are politician's like that today? Where are leaders who will actually risk their lives for what they believe in, rather than sit in safety on the sidelines and preach patriotism to the gullible?

Sounds like a good dude. Even if his answer to hunger was theft.

He doesn't fit that category. He really was a good man.

My answer to hunger somewhere on the planet is this.

Ship me in. Drop me into any said country. Give me seeds (Johnny's if I could have my druthers best germination rates) and give me water.

Why do we still have "world hunger"? Because it has become a business. A multi million dollar business.

I'm just a gardener not a rocket scientist but it is a no brainer that if you give seeds and water you can produce food.

But you have too many "help the poor people and feed them" organizations around making quizzillions off this scam of feed the poor.

But quickly back to McGovern, he didn't fit that bill. Good man.

McGovern is a man of principles who did not shirk his duty to America when called to action. He flew 35 missions over Nazi-occupied Europe in a B-24 and was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross for landing his crippled aircraft and saving his crew.

Where are politician's like that today? Where are leaders who will actually risk their lives for what they believe in, rather than sit in safety on the sidelines and preach patriotism to the gullible?

Where do we get another generation like this?

This is what worries me.

Where do we get another generation like this?

This is what worries me.

They were called the 'Greatest Generation' for good reason.

"I believe you farmers can do more than any other Americans to strengthen our position in the world if we recognize that food is health, food is strength, food is peace."
John F. Kennedy - written by George S. McGovern

Obama?

Biden?

Murtha?

Kerry?

Now Democrats call our troops terrorists and cold blooded killers, so McGovern, the first real Neo-Marxist Dem Candidate for a major US political office is leaving this world proud of how far Dems have "progressed"

Well done!

7zNhV.jpg

Throughout the McGoverns’ early married years, their family grew. They had a total of five children, and McGovern later wrote that he regretted being so wrapped up in his studies during the children’s formative years.

MCGOVERNFAMILY.jpg

“If I had devoted a fraction of the effort to preparing myself to play the role of husband and father that I did preparing for a career,” he wrote, “the time would have been infinitely better invested.”

One of the McGoverns’ children, Teresa, died in 1994 after a long battle with alcoholism. Afterward, McGovern channeled his grief into the book “Terry: My Daughter’s Life-and-Death Struggle with Alcoholism,” in which he wrote candidly about the family’s struggles to help Terry achieve sobriety.

McGovern later acknowledged in his 2011 book, “What It Means to Be a Democrat,” that Terry’s death plunged him “headlong into a deep depression” for which he was treated at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore. In that same book, he wrote that while losing a presidential election is difficult, “it is a skinned elbow next to the irreparable pain of losing a child.”

In 1956, McGovern ran for and won a seat in the U.S. House of Representatives. He served two terms and then ran for the Senate, but he lost a close race to incumbent Republican Karl Mundt.

MCGOVERNJFK1.jpg

John F. Kennedy made a joint campaign appearance with McGovern at the Corn Palace in Mitchell during the 1960 campaign. After Kennedy left the city, according to McGovern, Kennedy remarked to his brother, Robert, “I think we just cost that nice guy a Senate seat.” Kennedy was referring to the conservative Republican bent of South Dakota, which ran counter to the message preached by Kennedy during his presidential bid.

Following the loss to Mundt, McGovern was appointed by President Kennedy to run the new Food for Peace program. It was a fitting post for McGovern, who had seen firsthand the scourge of hunger in war-torn Europe and was urging the use of U.S.agricultural surpluses to help feed the world.

In 1964, McGovern voted in favor of the Gulf of Tonkin Resolution that gave President Lyndon Johnson the authority to escalate U.S.military involvement in Vietnam. McGovern later said he was misled as to the purpose of the resolution, and he became a vehement critic of the war.

MCGOVERNVIETNAM.jpg

“… I was so convinced that Vietnam was a looming catastrophe that for me it became what one staff member described as ‘a magnificent obsession,’ ” McGovern wrote. “… My anguish over this issue was the driving force of my public career and the constant topic of my private conversation for an entire decade.”

McGovern traveled multiple times to Vietnam, and in 1970 he sponsored the unsuccessful McGovern-Hatfield amendment, which sought to end U.S.military involvement in Vietnam by congressional action.

In support of the McGovern-Hatfield amendment, McGovern delivered a speech on Sept. 1, 1970, that became one of his most famous.

“Every senator in the chamber is partly responsible for sending 50,000 young Americans to an early grave,” he said during the speech. “This chamber reeks of blood.”

George McGovern | Come Home America

They were called the 'Greatest Generation' for good reason.

They may be called the Greatest Generation by Tom Brokaw, but don't forget it was they who gave birth to the beatniks, the hippies and the leftist, revolutionary counter-culture generation, the effects of which we are still suffering from today.

That generation may have endured the depression and defeated world-wide Fascism, but they could easily be considered as parental failures which has had a much more profound effect on the future of America than those other things.

Before we enshrine McGovern as St. George, let's remember that his 1972 run for the Presidency resulted in one of the worst defeats in our history. He only garnered 17 electoral votes.

Before we enshrine McGovern as St. George, let's remember that his 1972 run for the Presidency resulted in one of the worst defeats in our history. He only garnered 17 electoral votes.

"One man with courage is a majority."
Thomas Jefferson

“Every senator in the chamber is partly responsible for sending 50,000 young Americans to an early grave,” he said during the speech. “This chamber reeks of blood.”

George McGovern

New Topics

Forum List

Back