Emmett's Bus Stop Poll

Emmett

Sep 1, 2005
Murrayville, Ga
Well, as most of you know I am a truck driver. This weekend I happen to be laid over in Miami waiting until I start loading cars Monday here in the area. I am currently staying at a Super 8 Motel (134 a night for Super Bowl Weekend) and since I DON"T have tickets I have had to come up with a way to entertain myself.

Naturally a layover is a good time to catch up on laundry, locate a nearby eatery so I can enjoy a non-truck stop meal and well, CONDUCT MY OWN STREET SURVEY POLL. That's right, you know me, I like to get out in the thick of it and bring you real life info from real life people. My surveys are accurate, random and much more realistical than CNN's. I had the perfect venue for random polling, a laundermat, a resturant, the motel breakfast area this am, the maid, the desk clerk, the owner, a nearby apt complex produced passers by, and..............THE BUS STOP! I had alot of fun doing this. In total I have about three to four hours in this. I lost track of my demographic count however here are my results. Some may suprise you. I even found a Libertarian! A 33 year old waiter, Cuban American.

RESULTS:

Did you vote in the last Presidential election? YES-37 NO- 24

Will you vote in the next one? YES- 50 NO-10 NS-1

Who did you vote for? JK - 20 GWB - 16 LIB - 1

Who is currently the VP of the US? Cheney- 50 Don't KNow- 5 CRice 1 John McCain 1 Janet Reno 1 GWB 1 Bill Thompson (?) 1 (1 did not answer at all, he was thinking about it when the bus came)

Are you a Democrat or Republican? DEM - 28 GOP - 25 Neither - 4 LP - 1 Don't KNow - 3

Do you think the US should give up in Iraq and bring home the soldiers immediately (cut and run)? YES - 45 NO - 12 Don't Know - 3

How many states are in the US? 50 - 50 100 - 2 48 - 1 25? - 1 55 - 1 15 - 1 Don't Know - 5

(Only asked to persons who claimed to be Democrats) How many times can a President be Re-Elected? 1 Time - 19 2 Times - 4 8Times - 2 Don't Know - 2 No Limit - 1

(Only asked to persons who claimed to be Democrats) What is the VP's wifes name? Lynn Cheney - 7 Ann - 2 Glenda - 1 Don't Know - 17

(Only asked to persons who claimed to be Democrats) What state is Joe Lieberman from? Conn - 7 NY - 3 Fl - 1 Kansas - 1 Washington - 1 California - 1 Don't Know - 11 Who? - 2 Total Don't Know - 13
(20 so called Dems out of 27 did not know the answer to this question) In all fairness 4 of these were at the same breakfast table a few minutes ago at IHOP.

I plan to do this again at different cities all over the country. It does my heart good to know that folks are so well informed. As expected of the folks who claimed to be Republicans, all answered the three "tough" questions correctly. Some did get the chance to laugh along with me at the answers of the Democrats as well.

It is disappointing to know that even though a person can be so damn misinformed, they have the same input into deciding our future as someone who takes the time to care about America.

Fear not however because as I was instructed by a young college student who was awaiting the bus yesterday afternoon, we are going to be OK when Hillary Clinton becomes president. She is going to bring us a National Health Care plan like Canada has, raise taxes on rich people so folks who don't have anything can have a better chance at equality and the country will be safer because our troops will be in America where they belong defending our shores!

Well folks, there you go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well I told Emmett he was lucky there wasn't a 'negative' reaction. He said he had a few refusals, but overall positive responses.

Writing and administering surveys was some of my most fun in school-sociology. I hated collating but some things have to be done. ;)

Thanks for the effort Emmett.

The college student scares me, what was her major, political science?

Did you feel dumber after the "contact"?

I do believe that I was probably making a strange face while trying to concentrate on the young lady while she was explaining how life under Clinton would be.

Yes Trobinett, maybe I do feel dumber than before!

It was fun though! I'm sitting here in my room with two of the folks now who I interviewed. We're fixing to watch the game. We can't agree on it either.

Funny stuff Emmett... I've often considered doing that with my cheap little digital camcorder. This post makes me want to do that even more.:clap2:

She is going to bring us a National Health Care plan like Canada has.
Actually, Canada has a single-payer insurance scheme... if you don't like the service that scheme will pay for, you're welcome to spend your own post-insurance-scheme-tax-money.

Hitlary's plan would have made seeking health care on your own a criminal offense.:redface:

It is disappointing to know that even though a person can be so damn misinformed, they have the same input into deciding our future as someone who takes the time to care about America.
Call me an old crow, but I really lament the fact that you don't at least have to be a landowner to vote... or perhaps at least educated.:cuckoo:

Forum List

Back