Eminent Domain Abuse

Harpy Eagle

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 22, 2017

Bob’s Seafood, the long-standing seafood wholesaler and retailer at 8660 Olive Blvd. in University City, will close on Saturday, June 4, due to an eminent domain seizure by University City.

This place had the best seafood in the city, was always amazed how fresh it was. And now it is being forced to close so that a different private business that will bring in more tax dollars can go there.

This is what is taking its place..

Eminent domain should never be used for such a thing, if it should ever be used at all.

The arguments for eminent domain are spurious, at best.
It's a collectivist argument that the greater good takes precedence & will be served when the govt ignores our rights by seizing personal property.
Personal property is the cornerstone of liberty & all anti-personal property laws should be condemned & rejected

Virginia banned the practice of using ED to transfer land from one private owner to another private owner to further economic development.

Did MO not get the memo when SCOTUS allowed the practice unless it was against state law? Many states banned the practice years ago after the ruling.

I understand there are still work-arounds but they are very complex to where the juice is not worth the squeeze.

Kelo v. City of New London - Wikipedia

ED should NEVER be used for private ownership.
Shouldnt even be getting used much now for public access. Roads, overpasses etc. The infrastructure is already there.

Did MO not get the memo when SCOTUS allowed the practice unless it was against state law? Many states banned the practice years ago after the ruling.

Seems they did not

Bob’s Seafood, the long-standing seafood wholesaler and retailer at 8660 Olive Blvd. in University City, will close on Saturday, June 4, due to an eminent domain seizure by University City.

This place had the best seafood in the city, was always amazed how fresh it was. And now it is being forced to close so that a different private business that will bring in more tax dollars can go there.

This is what is taking its place..

Eminent domain should never be used for such a thing, if it should ever be used at all.
Agreed....but left wingers like Justice Stevens, wrote Kelo v City of New London...which made this legal. Thankfully in the wake of that, Bush signed EO limiting the Federal Govt to "public use"

Seems they did not
The "work-around" seems to be civil authorities taking property under ED then later leasing said property to a commercial enterprise but it's not as simple as it sounds.

That said I don't think MO did anything to stop civil authorities from taking land under ED and selling it to a commercial enterprise.....They seem to take a very piecemeal approach to the ED issue. I guess MO hates property rights.

So a business has to close so that other businesses can open?

This is why I support people owning guns and burning things down.

I bet he would.have sold if they had simply offered more. You know, "Capitalism"..

I bet he would.have sold if they had simply offered more. You know, "Capitalism"..
MO law say that they have pay 150% of what the property is worth. Of course the same ones looking to take it also accesses it so then the owner has to pay to have it accessed and lawyer fees no end to contest the difference if any. Also bear in mind most independent assessors are in bed with the municipality.

Well, burning things down is never justified. More than the participants get harmed in that kind of action.

The rest I agree with.

Well, burning things down is never justified. More than the participants get harmed in that kind of action.

The rest I agree with.

If the government can destroy a persons business it's my position we hold the citizens to the same standard.

Forum List

Back