Emergency Doctrine Protects Driver In Auto Accident

Chuckt

Gold Member
Jul 3, 2013

Four teenagers on their way home from the Jersey shore were in a car wreck after one of the teenagers in the backseat untied the bikini top of the 19-year-old driver, who took her hands off the wheel to cover herself.

There’s something called the emergency doctrine that protects drivers who are faced with sudden and unforeseen circumstances that leaves the driver with little or no time for thought, like a car travelling in the opposite direction that suddenly veers into the driver’s lane.

Emergency Doctrine Protects Driver In Auto Accident « CBS Philly

You will have to read it to get the full debate and story.

So is a bikini prank an unforeseen circumstance or, given that the driver knew she was travelling with knuckleheads, a foreseeable event of her own making?

The court said the accident was not her fault and the emergency doctrine fit the case here.
I'm not sure about anyone else, however if a passenger inside my vehicle initiates an unforeseen circumstance like throwing soda on me, I would not take my hands off the wheel. I would stop first.

Safety comes first.

Four teenagers on their way home from the Jersey shore were in a car wreck after one of the teenagers in the backseat untied the bikini top of the 19-year-old driver, who took her hands off the wheel to cover herself.

There’s something called the emergency doctrine that protects drivers who are faced with sudden and unforeseen circumstances that leaves the driver with little or no time for thought, like a car travelling in the opposite direction that suddenly veers into the driver’s lane.

Emergency Doctrine Protects Driver In Auto Accident « CBS Philly

You will have to read it to get the full debate and story.

The driver was not at fault.

The emergency doctrine applies.

Case dismissed.

Forum List

Back