email services being closed out?

HenryBHough

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Oak Grove, Massachusetts
Over the course of several moves I've had a number of ISPs. For convenience I set up email accounts with each of them. After moving I changed to "email only" accounts with two of them - paying typically $40/year to each for thservice. Recently I was notified (about 2 weeks apart) that both were eliminating email as one of their services. Both are no longer opening new email addresses even for people who are newly signing up for their internet service. Both say they're trying to sell off that part of the business - they've found no takers; no offers. Both are suggesting opening accounts with "national vendors" - Outlook; gmail; yahoomail - all of which are free - each has also provided a (different) short list of "pay for service" email providers. The two ISPs involved are in different states thousands of miles apart. Is anyone else experiencing this? In this case both are saying they will be terminating all existing email addresses on or shortly before December 31, 2021.

Anyone have strong thoughts on what might be good alternatives where privacy is not simply a joke?

Wow. . . Interesting.

I pay about $35 a year for mine. I can no longer use the ISP since the flood, as it does not cover the new area I live in.

I haven't even looked to see if my current ISP gives me an email addy. . . it probably does.

I was just thinking the other day I would look for a new apartment in the old ISP's service area, since I am not a fan of ATT. :auiqs.jpg:

It never occurred to me that this other company would, or might stop offering email. I would hate to have to use one of those stupid free national vendors.

Yikes. And what a pain to transfer all those things linked to an account I have been using for 20 years.

Yeah, I don't really know.

I think if that happened, I would probably just switch to a private company with a long track record.

Not exactly sure of WHO you are saying is cancelling emails.............I've have several emails for specific reasons, and I've had them all for at least 10 - 20 years. I have not gotten any news, info, bulletins, or notices about anybody closing down email services.

I have had a few emails on AOL for probably 20 - 30 years, and now I'm slowly changing them over to mail.com accounts. AOL is a thread branch of a company that is owned (somewhere down the line) by Warner Communications, who signed a "partnership" with the Chinese government's communication bureau in 2015 I think.

So I'm switching my emails from AOL to mail.com, since mail.com is an American company and isn't in partnership with anyone but their vendors and advertisers.

Over the course of several moves I've had a number of ISPs. For convenience I set up email accounts with each of them. After moving I changed to "email only" accounts with two of them - paying typically $40/year to each for thservice. Recently I was notified (about 2 weeks apart) that both were eliminating email as one of their services. Both are no longer opening new email addresses even for people who are newly signing up for their internet service. Both say they're trying to sell off that part of the business - they've found no takers; no offers. Both are suggesting opening accounts with "national vendors" - Outlook; gmail; yahoomail - all of which are free - each has also provided a (different) short list of "pay for service" email providers. The two ISPs involved are in different states thousands of miles apart. Is anyone else experiencing this? In this case both are saying they will be terminating all existing email addresses on or shortly before December 31, 2021.

Anyone have strong thoughts on what might be good alternatives where privacy is not simply a joke?

Proton Mail.com

Thanks for the suggestions.

I did not reveal the names of the two ISPs as to do so would invite SPAM or worse.

In the one case I learned of the policy change when a friend,newly moved into the area, signed up for new internet service and was denied an email address for the reasons stated.

In the other my learning about the coming change came out of a call I made to their support people about a different problem, The problem was related to email but the advice was not to waste much time on it as the service would be going away.

In neither case have there been any formal announcements of what's coming. If others are doing the same thing it's probable that there won't be any announcements until a month or two before it's over. If you believe this sort of change will cause you major problems perhaps you might contact your ISP and ask direct questions.

Forum List

Back