Eliminating Diversity

code1211

Apr 8, 2009
Reading an editorial, I came across an interesting thought.

The writer said that the American Liberal is interested in diversity in many things, but not in thought. They cannot stand the idea of people who think indepedantly.

What say you, Liberals? Is your Holier Than Thou attitude keeping you from accepting those who have a different set of goals, ideas and plans than you do?

Why do Liberals constantly campaign to change those around them? This seems about as intrusive and oppressive as any activiy can be.

The writer said that the American Liberal is interested in diversity in many things, but not in thought. They cannot stand the idea of people who think indepedantly.
You and the author of the op-ed not cited are confusing independent thought with dogma.

Liberals embrace independent thought and celebrate it. Conservative dogma they reject, however – such as the fallacy that a majority on welfare use drugs.

Conservatives are entitled to believe in their dogma, of course, but they have no cause to become angry when liberals confront conservative dogma with facts.

What say you, Liberals? Is your Holier Than Thou attitude keeping you from accepting those who have a different set of goals, ideas and plans than you do?

Why do Liberals constantly campaign to change those around them? This seems about as intrusive and oppressive as any activiy can be.

I guess you missed this thread,,,,,,

Why "Moderates" can kiss my ass

According to many who felt this way who posted in that thread, Independents were also the problem. Independent thinking was being wishy-washy; etc.
I'd say that those who so deeply entrench in their ideology, which would be basically folks from the far left and far right, have no room for the diversity thought process.

So what you're saying is that conservatives are open-minded people who are willing to give liberal ideas a try? You're talking about the GOP, right? The same GOP who has said 'no' to absolutely everything Obama and Dems have proposed? The same GOP whose base thinks uninsured sick people should die before getting assistance; whose base cheered the death penalty; whose base booed a gay US soldier? The same GOP who wants to see DADT reinstated? Those conservatives? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

So what you're saying is that conservatives are open-minded people who are willing to give liberal ideas a try? You're talking about the GOP, right? The same GOP who has said 'no' to absolutely everything Obama and Dems have proposed? The same GOP whose base thinks uninsured sick people should die before getting assistance; whose base cheered the death penalty; whose base booed a gay US soldier? The same GOP who wants to see DADT reinstated? Those conservatives? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

No. I'm talking about Conservatives.

By definition, anybody in a political party is trying to dominate the thinking and the doing of others.

I don't give a second thought to what other people are doing as long as they don't try to make me suppoort them and as long as they stay out of my life.

A Liberal, on the other hand, if he sees me smoking must try to make me stop. Wants to force me to wear a seat belt or helmet when he feels it is appropriate for me to do so.

A Liberal wants to take my money because he feels that he can spend it more wisely than I. A Liberal needs to regulate what I eat, drink, see, believe and think. If I want to sing a Christmas carol, I cannot because a Liberal thinks that I may offend someone.

Liberals by definition are control freaks who cannot abide the idea that there are equally valid lifestyles and activities and belief systems that exist outside the bounds of politically correct, pastuerized society. Any thought that strays from their preordained version of the TRUTH and the RIGHT is condemned.

You did so above.

another myopic troll thread

No. I'm talking about Conservatives.

By definition, anybody in a political party is trying to dominate the thinking and the doing of others.

I don't give a second thought to what other people are doing as long as they don't try to make me suppoort them and as long as they stay out of my life.

A Liberal, on the other hand, if he sees me smoking must try to make me stop. Wants to force me to wear a seat belt or helmet when he feels it is appropriate for me to do so.

A Liberal wants to take my money because he feels that he can spend it more wisely than I. A Liberal needs to regulate what I eat, drink, see, believe and think. If I want to sing a Christmas carol, I cannot because a Liberal thinks that I may offend someone.

Liberals by definition are control freaks who cannot abide the idea that there are equally valid lifestyles and activities and belief systems that exist outside the bounds of politically correct, pastuerized society. Any thought that strays from their preordained version of the TRUTH and the RIGHT is condemned.

You did so above.

and no conservatives have ever wanted to control society and stop smoking? More myopic thoughts.

You and the author of the op-ed not cited are confusing independent thought with dogma.

Liberals embrace independent thought and celebrate it. Conservative dogma they reject, however – such as the fallacy that a majority on welfare use drugs.

Conservatives are entitled to believe in their dogma, of course, but they have no cause to become angry when liberals confront conservative dogma with facts.

You really have to wonder about the liberal interpretation of "dogma". According to liberals any difference of political opinion can be dismissed or even cancelled if you call it "dogma" and give it a religious slant. The dirty little secret is that radical lefties are the most intollerent minority in society.

You really have to wonder about the liberal interpretation of "dogma". According to liberals any difference of political opinion can be dismissed or even cancelled if you call it "dogma" and give it a religious slant. The dirty little secret is that radical lefties are the most intollerent minority in society.

Not sure about the Most intolerant, but they definitely can be pretty intolerant. You are correct the have a habit of simply Labeling everything anyone says they do not agree with as Dogma, and they do seem to almost wish people who did not agree with them, we not allowed to have opinions at all.

speaking of dogma and diversity - hows that war on poverty coming along? year what? 46?

all extremist are intollerant, both left and right

it boils down to people being controlling, or not controlling. To me the controllers on the left appear to be far more annoying, as their preferred method of getting thier way is the federal government.

Most social conservatives in texas would be tickled pink if social progressives would leave them the hell alone and confine themselves to the coasts.

There are certainly liberals who are intolerant of other opinions, but I'm not sure what basis there is for concluding either that this is essential to liberalism or that liberals are more likely to do this than conservatives. My own personal impression (which is only that, a personal impression) is that liberals in the public sphere are somewhat more open-minded on average than are conservatives.

That being said, tolerating other ideas should not mean treating all ideas as equally valid. Why shouldn't liberals try to change society based on their convictions, no less than conservatives? If you oppose liberal principles, then you should oppose most actions based on those principles, but surely you must understand that the action follows from the principle.

Or perhaps you are suggesting that no one, liberal or conservative, should "campaign to change those around them". I reject that notion. It's true that no one agrees on what is right, and it is true that many people change the world for the worse. Nevertheless, everyone changes the people around them, and we should strive to change the world in good ways.

another myopic troll thread

That's not fair to myopic trolls everywhere! This thread is the outcome of years of rightwing radio.

you got cap and trade,you got Obama care ,you got a ban on offshore drilling ,you got trillions in so called stimulus spending , you got the community re investment act ..............and it all fucked up the Economy !!

Last edited:

you got cap and trade,you got Obama care ,you got a ban on offshore drilling ,you got trillions in so called stimulus spending , you got the community re investment act ..............and it all fucked up the Economy !!
We got cap and trade!?

How'd I miss that?

As for offshore drilling, you should tell BP. They've been drilling in the gulf for months!

Sorry, I couldn't think of his name and i like his work.

George Will: A frank 'cure' for the Fed | The Indianapolis Star | indystar.com

I concur that few partisans really believe in diversity of thought.

Generally, they talk the talk but they don't walk the walk.

And that's a patently absurd idea. Actually it's quite the reverse. Conservatives, especially evangelist conservatives are the ones trying to impose their social and religious mores on others.

Forum List

Back