Electric scooter/wheelchair on the horizon

Gracie

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2013
Lost
Well...it's getting close to that time where we have to have some help getting around. Driving, no problem. STANDING and WALKING long distances (like grocery stores, shopping, etc) IS a problem. I have a bulging disc in my lower back and for the past 4 days I have been more or less not moving at all. Hurts too much. Doc suggested surgery. I said no. Afraid they will clip a nerve and I wind up paralyzed permanently. My ex boss that owned the property I managed for 17 years was spry, stood upright, had no problems but he had back situations as well. So, he had the surgery. Next time I saw him, he was doubled over, with a cane, grey faced and in lots of pain. He said he wished he would never have had it done. I keep visualizing that, so I am afraid it will happen to me, too.

Anyway...explanation given up there ^. Now I am on a hunt. What I want is...

1) lightweight, so I can ride it to my car. Be able to load it in my van. Able to lift it. Which means....

2) foldable. Or the ability to take off the battery which has its own carry casing feature and detachable.

3) adjustable seat and arm rests so if MrG has to use it as well, he will fit it nicely. He is a big man, so that is a must. Arm rests that can be adjusted on each side to make it wider for him.

4) preferably under 1000 bucks.

Not sure if I want a 3 wheeler or a 4. I read 4 wheels are less likely for you to tip over but it looks bulky to me. I THINK I would prefer 3 wheels..that can be unlocked if it stops moving for whatever reason, and I can either push it to a safe location or have someone else push it. Locking wheels won't let it budge at all. Someone here had a Jazzy. That thing weighed like 100 lbs and you couldn't move it at all due to wheel locking. 5 people finally got it outside and a forklift used to haul it off.

Anyway...it's not really a wheelchair....its more of a scooter that I want. A walker won't cut it because I have not been able to walk much these past few days. I have to SIT, so the bulging disc is at peace and not causing me to eat so many advils and norcos just to escape the pain. Long as I am sitting, I am ok. Walking the length of the hallway, getting on elevator and having to stand, walking the length of another hallway all the way out to the street to get to my car? I am in agony by then. Soon as I sit in the car...I'm fine.

And..with MrG having issues with his legs, soon to have gall bladder surgery, getting a biopsy on his lung, he might have to use it as well.

So my question is.....does anyone have/know such a machine in question that they recommend?

Well...it's getting close to that time where we have to have some help getting around. Driving, no problem. STANDING and WALKING long distances (like grocery stores, shopping, etc) IS a problem. I have a bulging disc in my lower back and for the past 4 days I have been more or less not moving at all. Hurts too much. Doc suggested surgery. I said no. Afraid they will clip a nerve and I wind up paralyzed permanently. My ex boss that owned the property I managed for 17 years was spry, stood upright, had no problems but he had back situations as well. So, he had the surgery. Next time I saw him, he was doubled over, with a cane, grey faced and in lots of pain. He said he wished he would never have had it done. I keep visualizing that, so I am afraid it will happen to me, too.

1) lightweight, so I can ride it to my car. Be able to load it in my van. Able to lift it. Which means....

2) foldable. Or the ability to take off the battery which has its own carry casing feature and detachable.

3) adjustable seat and arm rests so if MrG has to use it as well, he will fit it nicely. He is a big man, so that is a must. Arm rests that can be adjusted on each side to make it wider for him.

Not sure if I want a 3 wheeler or a 4. I read 4 wheels are less likely for you to tip over but it looks bulky to me. I THINK I would prefer 3 wheels..that can be unlocked if it stops moving for whatever reason, and I can either push it to a safe location or have someone else push it. Locking wheels won't let it budge at all. Someone here had a Jazzy. That thing weighed like 100 lbs and you couldn't move it at all due to wheel locking. 5 people finally got it outside and a forklift used to haul it off.

Anyway...it's not really a wheelchair....its more of a scooter that I want. A walker won't cut it because I have not been able to walk much these past few days. I have to SIT, so the bulging disc is at peace and not causing me to eat so many advils and norcos just to escape the pain. Long as I am sitting, I am ok. Walking the length of the hallway, getting on elevator and having to stand, walking the length of another hallway all the way out to the street to get to my car? I am in agony by then. Soon as I sit in the car...I'm fine.

And..with MrG having issues with his legs, soon to have gall bladder surgery, getting a biopsy on his lung, he might have to use it as well.

So my question is.....does anyone have/know such a machine in question that they recommend?
I had back surgery in 1991, a laminectomy, when I was 43.

Lumbar Laminectomy Surgery for Spinal Stenosis (Open Decompression)

Other than a bit of arthritis I've had no back spasms or extreme pain in 30 years. The surgery was done by a camera and the cutting was about four inches with the surgeon looking at a screen, or so I was told.

I will custom make mine to do wheelies and spit fire from exhaust pipes.

I should call it a mobility chair. Found one but...I hesitate. They take payments too. But still....

Gosh. Thanks for the suggestions! I am so overwhelmed, lol.

I decided NOT to get an electric thingy. I ordered a walker for when I am in flare up mode. Rest of the time it can fit nicely in a closet.

But thanks again for the recommendations! :auiqs.jpg:

Gosh. Thanks for the suggestions! I am so overwhelmed, lol.

I decided NOT to get an electric thingy. I ordered a walker for when I am in flare up mode. Rest of the time it can fit nicely in a closet.

But thanks again for the recommendations! :auiqs.jpg:
I just saw this now or I would have responded. About all I can say now is that I'll hide with it in the closet and jump out and scare the crap out of you!

You're not going to get much for 1k. I suggest spending 2.5K and you can get one that can go 20mph with a 40 mile range.

I wish you and your husband a speedy recovery if at all possible.

I will NOT spend 2k on something I will not use in place of my van. Nope. Not gonna.

Does RA cause stubborness? :auiqs.jpg:

I have a lot of back pain. I go to physical therapy and yoga. I tried Barre but it put me flat out for two days.

I had back surgery in 1991, a laminectomy, when I was 43.

Lumbar Laminectomy Surgery for Spinal Stenosis (Open Decompression)

Other than a bit of arthritis I've had no back spasms or extreme pain in 30 years. The surgery was done by a camera and the cutting was about four inches with the surgeon looking at a screen, or so I was told.
I had microdiscectomy to fix a herniated disc 15 years ago. back has been great ever since. Get a good cutter and have the surgery.

So...any further suggestions on these scooters? I am looking at this one now because it has the heaviest part of 40 lbs once taken apart (5 pcs). And a ramp (extra 119 bucks) so I DON'T have to take it apart..I can just roll it up into the van.

Thinking very seriously on ordering it soon. Like...this week.

The trike should be sufficient, not four wheels. Battery detachment is mandatory so you you can keep it warm in winter, not in some cold garage. It doesn't seem to be on the market yet.

So...any further suggestions on these scooters? I am looking at this one now because it has the heaviest part of 40 lbs once taken apart (5 pcs). And a ramp (extra 119 bucks) so I DON'T have to take it apart..I can just roll it up into the van.

Thinking very seriously on ordering it soon. Like...this week.
t For a grand, the unit is highway robbery.

Forum List

Back