Electric rubbish lorry scrapped

Captain Caveman

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2020
England
Walsall council picking the rubbish up in the morning with Electric Bin Lorries ........has .....been .....scrapped. Who would have thought.

As the pro EV'ers claim, you just need solar panels, 500 mile range and fast charge them on your driveway using solar stored energy in batteries.

Well guys, the hiccup in the EV'ers dreams is called reality. So back to the drawing board with bin lorries. The council will keep an eye out on bin lorry technology with a hope in mind, but, it'll never happen.

Walsall council picking the rubbish up in the morning with Electric Bin Lorries ........has .....been .....scrapped. Who would have thought.

As the pro EV'ers claim, you just need solar panels, 500 mile range and fast charge them on your driveway using solar stored energy in batteries.

Well guys, the hiccup in the EV'ers dreams is called reality. So back to the drawing board with bin lorries. The council will keep an eye out on bin lorry technology with a hope in mind, but, it'll never happen.

I bet that was an expensive experiment. A little early, as the leading sources of power in the UK are 42% Fossil fuel (including 9% coal) depending of fuel costs, 21% nuclear, and between 24.5% and 30% renewables. That 24.5 - 30% being reasonably impressive.

I saw nothing to indicate they were trying to use solar to power their electric garbage trucks, so this was simply a experiment on battery electric trucks, charged conventionally through the grid, so it speaks to cost and efficiency of the batteries and charging capacities in terms of range and continuous operational use, more than anything else.
Electricity generation | Energy UK

I bet that was an expensive experiment. A little early, as the leading sources of power in the UK are 42% Fossil fuel (including 9% coal) depending of fuel costs, 21% nuclear, and between 24.5% and 30% renewables. That 24.5 - 30% being reasonably impressive.

I saw nothing to indicate they were trying to use solar to power their electric garbage trucks, so this was simply a experiment on battery electric trucks, charged conventionally through the grid, so it speaks to cost and efficiency of the batteries and charging capacities in terms of range and continuous operational use, more than anything else.
Electricity generation | Energy UK
Walsall is near Birmingham, so it may get on average 1,364 hours of sun per year

I imagine looking at California's sunny stats, solar works there, but not great in the UK

Walsall Council trialled the electric bin lorry in the summer and, while impressed with how silent it was in comparison with the current fleet, a review of the performance raised doubts on whether it could cope in winter months.
But the idea hasn’t been consigned to the bin forever with bosses saying they will keep track of improving technology and cost effectiveness over the next few years.

Forum List

Back