Egg Heads

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
As of right now we are on our 6th and 7th concussions on the team so far this season. Are kids today made out of hummingbird bones or something? I completely agree that it is right to take concussions much more seriously than they did in my day, but this is getting ridiculous. I don't know how kids are getting softer, physically or emotionally.

Kids today

745d4533b8e6481ab721e472fc8b870925d6a2322cfd1cb621a8a57d7bc07ee5.jpg

You need some smart person to see what common factor might exist .

Am scratching my head and trying not to just think of the obvious

Kids need to start wearing helmets, particularly when playing soccer. The tactic of "heading" the ball has to take quite the toll of the children's craniums.

As of right now we are on our 6th and 7th concussions on the team so far this season. Are kids today made out of hummingbird bones or something? I completely agree that it is right to take concussions much more seriously than they did in my day, but this is getting ridiculous. I don't know how kids are getting softer, physically or emotionally.

They might have an emotional response to a concussion, but emotions have nothing to do with the purely physical event of receiving a concussion. Your attempt to relate the two is dishonest. I thought you were better than that.

One reason for the additional concussion protocols is that so many were untreated in the past.

But before you call the athletes "fragile", look at the size and speed of the modern athletes. There has been a major change in the size and speed of the athletes. Bigger bodies colliding at greater speeds means more injuries.

Plus, if someone has a concussion, they should not go right back in and play. To suggest that they should is just asking for serious, long term injuries for the sole purpose of our entertainment.

They might have an emotional response to a concussion, but emotions have nothing to do with the purely physical event of receiving a concussion. Your attempt to relate the two is dishonest. I thought you were better than that.
You misinterpreted the post. Maybe.

One reason for the additional concussion protocols is that so many were untreated in the past.

But before you call the athletes "fragile", look at the size and speed of the modern athletes. There has been a major change in the size and speed of the athletes. Bigger bodies colliding at greater speeds means more injuries.

Plus, if someone has a concussion, they should not go right back in and play. To suggest that they should is just asking for serious, long term injuries for the sole purpose of our entertainment.
I'm not talking about pro sports.

The good news is that most of the newer kids are already starting to toughen up. They are starting to understand the difference between pain and injury. It could be that this generation has been raised where toughing it out (to ANY degree) was even conceivable. Of course real injuries (yes, including concussions) must be taken seriously, especially for kids.

I doubt kids are physically more prone to concussions than a generation ago.

More likely, as someone said, concussions were probably under-diagnosed in the past.

Or it’s possible it’s a simple coincidence that you’ve had more incidents than usual lately.

Another kid (really tough kid, generally), got put on the protocol a few days ago.

From what I understand, the science behind concussions has progressed quite a bit in the past several years, and part of that is recognizing the existence of a concussions when previous generations would have just let it go and remarked that such-&-such a player had "got his bell rung."

We sports fans in Pittsburgh - I ain't one - are more attuned to concussions than other sports fans because of the number of times our beloved Sid "the Kid" Crosby has been concussed, and "we" are in the forefront of such things. See linked article.

This local organization will do baseline cognitive testing of Yoots who may be at risk (e.g., HS wrestlers), so that if they "get their bell rung" it can be ascertained whether there are any harmful ramifications.

But there is no doubt that today's kids and parents are more sensitive to potential injuries, and especially this kind, than previous generations. One would think that there would be an element of "assumption of risk" in wrestlers, but maybe not.

Forum List

Back