Edwards to Suspend Campaign

It looks to me like the Edwards campaign is declining to confirm prior to the official statement. Elizabeth's cancer has reoccurred; it is unlikely that Edwards will continue in full campaign mode. The only thing I like about him is his devotion to his wife - which does appear very sincere.

Here's to hoping that USMB won't look like the ugly mess on the blog you posted. How anyone could politicize cancer is beyond me, but they seemed to do it. I hope she fights the good fight.

It looks to me like the Edwards campaign is declining to confirm prior to the official statement. Elizabeth's cancer has reoccurred; it is unlikely that Edwards will continue in full campaign mode. The only thing I like about him is his devotion to his wife - which does appear very sincere.

What do you expect from a consumate politician, a divorce?

Sounds like he is going to continue in his campaign. I wish nothing but the best and good health to his wife.

While I certainly agree that his wife's illness should not be politicized, I do think that just like questioning whether a candidate is too old (ahem, McCain) or to unhealthy (ahem, Cheney) to be considered a strong candidate...it is not politicizing Elizabeth Edwards' illness to question whether his wife battling cancer will place too much strain on John Edwards to be a suitable candidate for president.

Thats not to say that I won't listen to Edwards' views, opinions, platforms and come to the conclusion that even with his family's struggle he would make the best Democratic candidate...only that it will be a small piece of the overall puzzle I put together as I decide who to vote for...just like Bush's past alcoholism, and Giuliani's marital dischord, and Obama's past drug use, will be considered...it don't view them as crucial, integral pieces...just one more thing to consider when making important decisions such as these.

I've never been married but knowing that my wife had at most 5 years to live I certainly would want to spend as much time as possible with her. Unlike most people, they have the means to travel the world for the rest of her life just enjoying each other, that is what I would be doing, not running for the Presidency. Like he could possibly make any difference if he could even get elected.

What do you expect from a consumate politician, a divorce?

I don't know you at all - so have no idea what your political leanings are.

I will note that the Left is already dissing Giuliani for being divorced - so is it better to stay with a wife for political purposes or to get divored (and be honest about the lack of a relationship)?

I've never been married but knowing that my wife had at most 5 years to live I certainly would want to spend as much time as possible with her. Unlike most people, they have the means to travel the world for the rest of her life just enjoying each other, that is what I would be doing, not running for the Presidency. Like he could possibly make any difference if he could even get elected.

Sometimes when people are sick, it does them more good for everyone around them to go on normally. When I was young, my mom got sick (she's fine now) but she was adamant that all of us go on with our lives. As one of my favorite teachers put it at the time, "she has enough on her mind right now that she doesn't need the guilt" of keeping her family from doing what they need to. I figure that's why she wouldn't want him to give up the opportunity should it be given to him.

And Presidents do make a difference. (And I say this even though I have no intention of voting for him in the primary).

Forum List

Back