Edwards Makes A Killing Talking About Poverty

red states rule

May 30, 2006
You can't make this stuff up folks

Pretty Boy Edwards has made a killing lecturing about poverty and how rotten things are in America

He has made so much money talking about poverty he is buidling a 30,000 sq ft mansion.

Talk Isn't Cheap

Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards — who made his fortune as a trial lawyer before getting into politics — was paid $55,000 to speak to students at the University of California at Davis last year.

The topic — "Poverty — the Great Moral Issue Facing America." His campaign tells FOX News the speech was part of a series at the school and was funded by sponsors and the sale of tickets — which went for as much as $45.

Edwards' financial records show he pocketed $285,000 for speeches to nine colleges and universities last year, in addition to the nearly half million he made in consulting fees from a hedge fund where he worked, he said, to learn more about the financial market's effect on poverty.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,274815,00.html

and you guys try to paint democrats as enemies of capitalism. nothing could be further from the truth.

I wonder how much Rudy makes for his speeches cashing in on his role on 9/11 over and over and over again.... why isn't RSR up in arms about that?

I sure am not. I say that public speakers with a compelling message should charge whatever the market will allow.....no matter what party they belong to.

and you guys try to paint democrats as enemies of capitalism. nothing could be further from the truth.

I wonder how much Rudy makes for his speeches cashing in on his role on 9/11 over and over and over again.... why isn't RSR up in arms about that?

I sure am not. I say that public speakers with a compelling message should charge whatever the market will allow.....no matter what party they belong to.

Is Rudy running around lecturing Amercia about poverty and how America is at fault for having so many people living in poverty?

Here is a great video of Pretty Boy at his best

http://www.youtube.com/p.swf?video_...Xu3Q/2.jpg&t=OEgsToPDskJyIVSF3Vz9nUyXUjZXLH5B

are you suggesting that only poor people have a right to talk about poverty?

No

But if you constantly say how lousy America treats it's poor then you make millions talking about it - you need to be called on it

Of course there is more on this

I wonder how much energy this modest liberal mansion will use

Edwards' nest is grist for critics
Advocate for poor lives in $6 million mansion
Rob Christensen, Staff Writer
CHAPEL HILL - Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards, who toured the country last fall talking about other people's homes, is now fielding questions about his own $6 million estate outside Chapel Hill.
Edwards had hit the talk show circuit to plug his book "Home: The Blueprints of Our Lives," which describes the childhood homes of various more-or-less famous people, including his own modest mill village houses.

But since he announced his second run for the presidency in December, Edwards has been more likely to be asked whether there is any contradiction between his 29,000-square-foot Orange County estate and his pledge to reduce poverty and help the working poor.

The questions underscore how everything about a presidential candidate -- including lifestyle decisions -- becomes fair game in a political campaign.

Edwards, a former North Carolina senator and Democratic vice presidential candidate in 2004, was not available for comment last week. But he told CNN last month that he didn't think the house presented him with an image problem.

"I came from a very different place," he said. "And I have been lucky enough to -- to have everything you could ever have in this country. And I feel a responsibility to help people help themselves. It's for you and the American people to judge whether they think that's real and authentic. I believe it is, but that's not my judgment to make."

It is not unusual for presidential candidates to be men of wealth -- Franklin Roosevelt to John Kerry to George W. Bush. Edwards' wife, Elizabeth, noted that Sen. Edward Kennedy, who is rich, has been a major supporter of raising the minimum wage.

"I think it is a greater testimony to Teddy, Sen. Kennedy, that he has taken on that cause that doesn't have an effect on his life," she said in a telephone interview Friday.

The criticism of John Edwards' wealth is not new. He was attacked during his 2004 presidential campaign for living in a Georgetown mansion at the time he was stressing inequalities of "the two Americas."

But his more intense emphasis on fighting poverty in his current campaign, which was announced from a hurricane-ravaged neighborhood in New Orleans, is likely to invite greater scrutiny.

"It might well cause problems," said Andy Taylor, a political science professor at N.C. State University. "We have a crowded field for the Democratic nomination. Candidates' voting records, things they said on the stump and their lifestyle will be used. There will be Democrats who say, 'You clearly are not practicing what you preach here.' Some may see some inconsistency."

The Edwards house has already become grist for his critics, who have called it a plantation or "Uncle John's Cabin."

Conservative New York Post columnist Ian Bishop wrote that Edwards "is playing to the poorest people in America to propel his presidential bid while living in the lap of luxury on a North Carolina estate that makes the famed Kennedy compound look like a seaside cottage."

http://www.newsobserver.com/643/story/537175.html

No

But if you constantly say how lousy America treats it's poor then you make millions talking about it - you need to be called on it
why? why is speaking out about issues in forums that are willing to pay for good speakers something anyone needs to be "called on"..any more than Rudy shilling over and over and over again about his 9/11 moment?

No

why? why is speaking out about issues in forums that are willing to pay for good speakers something anyone needs to be "called on"..any more than Rudy shilling over and over and over again about his 9/11 moment?

Edwards is just another limo liberal - like Al Gore

only poor people can be liberal? what IS your point?

You claim that capitalism is such a marvelous system but then whine when people use it.

only poor people can be liberal? what IS your point?

You claim that capitalism is such a marvelous system but then whine when people use it.

This so typical of the left

They rant about a problem and live their lives the exact opposite as to how they tell the rest of us to live

This so typical of the left

They rant about a problem and live their lives the exact opposite as to how they tell the rest of us to live

I never tell anyone how to live their lives.....

to suggest that those people who speak out against poverty must live impoverished lives themselves is ridiculous.

sounds like envy to me!

I never tell anyone how to live their lives.....

to suggest that those people who speak out against poverty must live impoverished lives themselves is ridiculous.

sounds like envy to me!

but your perty does

Why does Pretty Boy need $440 haircuts, a 30,000 sq ft mansion, and make millions in speaking fees and consulting fees if he is so worried about the poor?

Could he not give some of that money to help the poor?

No, WE have to give the money

That is what liberalsim is all about - always use OPM (other peoples money) to solve the problems

edwards gives lots of money to charity. do you expect him to give so much that he himself becomes as poor as the people he is trying to help? that sounds suspiciously like communism to me...but of course, from a moron like you, that makes no sense, so I guess it IS just envy....

envy is one of the seven deadly sins, you know.

edwards gives lots of money to charity. do you expect him to give so much that he himself becomes as poor as the people he is trying to help? that sounds suspiciously like communism to me...but of course, from a moron like you, that makes no sense, so I guess it IS just envy....

envy is one of the seven deadly sins, you know.

Oh how he is suffering - a 30,000 sq ft home, $400 haircuts, limos, speaking fees, and consulting fees from a hedge fund

Oh the imhumanity of it all

that wasn't my question. Are you suggesting that rich people are not allowed to be rich? rich people are not allowed to give to charity? rich people are not allowed to be concerned about the plight of their fellow man? what the fuck is your point here, other than John Edwards is a successful and powerful man and he is speaking out against poverty?

how is that anything but blatant envy?

now look...see all the question marks in the above paragraph. those denote questions. in order to actually "debate" someone, it requires that you actually answer those questions. give it a try.

that wasn't my question. Are you suggesting that rich people are not allowed to be rich? rich people are not allowed to give to charity? rich people are not allowed to be concerned about the plight of their fellow man? what the fuck is your point here, other than John Edwards is a successful and powerful man and he is speaking out against poverty?

how is that anything but blatant envy?

now look...see all the question marks in the above paragraph. those denote questions. in order to actually "debate" someone, it requires that you actually answer those questions. give it a try.

The point is, what you ignore, is the limo liberal double talk. They lecture us about the poor, and how America ignores them, while they make money lecturing about it

You, of course, would not see that is the purpose

The point is, what you ignore, is the limo liberal double talk. They lecture us about the poor, and how America ignores them, while they make money lecturing about it

You, of course, would not see that is the purpose

what is wrong with making money by giving speeches? and why can't you answer ANY question EVER?

You owe me a lot of answers. Start answering. you fucking moronic coward.

what is wrong with making money by giving speeches? and why can't you answer ANY question EVER?

You owe me a lot of answers. Start answering. you fucking moronic coward.

Are you really this stupid or do you act this way so you do not have to admit your party is full of hypocrites?

Pretty Boy worked for a hedge fund - made millions - so he could learn about poverty

Only someone of your ilk would actully buy that one

quit spinning smoke rings and answer questions for a change.

I have

You are an ass kissing Dem and you would never find faut with anyone within your party

Here is more on Pretty Boy and the money he makes off his poverty talking points

For Poverty Lesson, Edwards Enrolled at a Hedge Fund
May 9, 2007, 11:45 am Link to This
E-mail this
Topics Hedge FundsIndustries
John Edwards has made poverty a top issue as he stumps for the Democratic Presidential nomination. So his connections to Fortress Investment Group, a highly profitable hedge fund and private equity firm with several executives on Forbes’ latest billionaires list, have provoked quite a bit of interest from campaign watchers. Asked about his decision to join Fortress as a senior adviser in 2005, Mr. Edwards told The Associated Press on Tuesday that he did it “mainly in order to learn about the relationships between financial markets and poverty.”

But the reporters and editors at the A.P. didn’t let him off that easy.

Did he really have to join a hedge fund to learn about that? they asked Mr. Edwards, a former United States senator and trial lawyer. “How else would I have done it?” he responded. Well, you could have taken a class, it was suggested.

“That’s true,” he allowed.

He also conceded that he worked for Fortress in part because “making money was a good thing, too,” but insisted he did it “primarily to learn.”

Mr. Edwards’s year-long stint at Fortress began in October 2005, after he served as running mate to Senator John Kerry in his failed presidential bid. Since the Kerry campaign, Mr. Edwards has also run a center on work and poverty for the University of North Carolina law school.

Hedge funds are private, lightly regulated pools of capital that are usually restricted to wealthy individuals and institutional investors. The best of these funds offer returns that far exceed what the average investor could get from a mutual fund. Hedge funds have created mountains of wealth for the people who run them, some of whom have built modern-day castles in Greenwich, Conn., where many hedge funds are based.

In addition to hedge funds, Fortress also runs private equity funds, which acquire companies in hopes of profiting by selling them or taking them public.

Mr. Edwards has not disclosed how much he earned working as a consultant for Fortress. But stay tuned: He said he would do so next week when he releases his financial disclosure forms.

The Washington Post reported last week, as noted by DealBook, that Fortress is the biggest employer of donors to Mr. Edwards’ campaign. In all, Fortress employees gave about $167,000, according to the Post.

http://dealbook.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/05/09/for-poverty-101-edwards-went-to-a-hedge-fund/

Forum List

Back