Educating chidlren about Barack Obama

Amelia

Rookie
Feb 14, 2011
Packerland!
Did your schools ever teach you about the sitting president?

I remember us having a mock campaign in 5th grade in 1972. But I don't remember ever being taught anything Nixon before, during or after the campaign. We had assignments to bring current events newspaper clippings to school, so it could have come up. But I don't recall anything formal.

This book was assigned reading for first graders at an elementary school in the Green Bay, WI area:

Barack Obama, by Kira Freed.

The last line of the book is:

In October 2009, President Obama won the Nobel Peace Prize. He received the award for helping to make the world a better and more peaceful place.

Another brief passage (They're all brief, it's a level K book.):

After Barack became a lawyer he moved back to Chicago.

He helped change laws to make life better for poor people.

The whole book can be found here in PDF form.

http://www.readinga-z.com/book-pdfs/raz_level_k_barackobama.pdf

How would you feel about your first grader being told glowing things during a campaign year about someone whose policies you felt were doing harm to the nation?

If you love Obama and think it's fine for school children to have this book as a reading assignment, then how would you have felt about first graders being taught about Bush protecting the nation from terrorists after 9/11 and helping to spread democracy to the middle east, for example?

It's good that we're informing our kids about current events.

Being the FIRST black President in the United States of America is no small thing. No matter what you RWers think or say about it.

Who was the last President to obtain such a national and international milestone? Or any major milestone for that matter?

• Banned
Oh yes, this is a good one. I forgot this part:

Barack made a big speech in 2004. ....

Many people liked Barack's speech. They liked his message of hope and peace. They liked his clear thinking. They wanted Barack to be president.

After four years of hard work, Barack was elected president.

Last edited:
Facts are fine to teach children.

What is factual about this...
In October 2009, President Obama won the Nobel Peace Prize. He received the award for helping to make the world a better and more peaceful place.
...other than the date.

What SPECIFICALLY did Obama do, prior to being awarded the prize, to 'make the world a better and more peaceful place'.

Do tell.

Being the FIRST black President in the United States of America is no small thing. No matter what you RWers think or say about it.

Who was the last President to obtain such a national and international milestone? Or any major milestone for that matter?

I agree 100% with your first point.

How do you consider being awarded a Nobel Peace Prize for doing nothing, a milestone?

It sounds a lot like North Korea. Marxist schools always teach love and adoration of Dear Leader.

Child: 'daddy... you're going to vote for Barack Obama, right?'

Father:'no son, I'm not. I am not happy with the job he's done as President and I don't want him to be re-elected.'

Child: 'But Kira Freed said he was for hope and peace. Aren't you for hope and peace daddy?'

etc...etc...etc.

BTW... is there a link to this story anywhere?

Last edited:

How do you consider being awarded a Nobel Peace Prize for doing nothing, a milestone?
Dude...this is what upsets me so much about you RWers, your propensity to lie and obfuscate. Where did I say that the Nobel Peace Prize was a milestone? WHERE?!?? I SPECIFICALLY listed the fact that being the FIRST black President as a milestone and this is what your response is.

See why I have to respond to you people like I do?

Is he black?

I thought he was white...... His mother is white.....:razz:

Child: 'daddy... you're going to vote for Barack Obama, right?'

Father:'no son, I'm not. I am not happy with the job he's done as President and I don't want him to be re-elected.'

Child: 'But Kira Freed said he was for hope and peace. Aren't you for hope and peace daddy?'

etc...etc...etc.

BTW... is there a link to this story anywhere?

Link to the story? I linked to the actual book, so I assume you mean the story about it being assigned to the first graders?

I learned about that from Jerry Bader, a local radio host, who received an email about it from a parent of one of the children given the assignment. It aired yesterday. Here are the podcasts for his show:

The Jerry Bader Show - WTAQ News Talk 97.5FM and 1360AM

Dude...this is what upsets me so much about you RWers, your propensity to lie and obfuscate. Where did I say that the Nobel Peace Prize was a milestone? WHERE?!?? I SPECIFICALLY listed the fact that being the FIRST black President as a milestone and this is what your response is.

I apologize for the confusion. I thought you were expressing two separate thoughts... One being the first black president, and the other (the milestone) being the Nobel Peace prize, since that was under discussion in the thread as well.

I really did not think you'd seriously talk about how Obama was the first, then go on to ask who else achieved that milestone (being the first). Kind of obvious the answer would be no one, right?

but I don't expect you to actually take anything a mere right winger has to say at face value. It doesn't hold with your preconceived notions about us. Whatever.

I apologize for the confusion. I thought you were expressing two separate thoughts... One being the first black president, and the other (the milestone) being the Nobel Peace prize, since that was under discussion in the thread as well.

I really did not think you'd seriously talk about how Obama was the first, then go on to ask who else achieved that milestone (being the first). Kind of obvious the answer would be no one, right?

but I don't expect you to actually take anything a mere right winger has to say at face value. It doesn't hold with your preconceived notions about us. Whatever.

I was also confused by what he might have been calling a milestone since he called it an international milestone.

Being a black president has been done before, internationally speaking, so I didn't know what he meant.

Is he black?

I thought he was white...... His mother is white.....:razz:

I got one word for you brah...

The. One. Drop. Rule.

Peace. :cool:

I was also confused by what he might have been calling a milestone since he called it an international milestone.

Being a black president has been done before, internationally speaking, so I didn't know what he meant.
I am also pretty sure that there have been some past US Presidents on both sides of the aisle who have achieved 'major milestones'.

New Topics

Forum List

Back