Edge of Tomorrow (Film)

phoenyx

Gold Member
Jun 19, 2016
Canada
I've reviewed a time travel movie, I've reviewed a Tom Cruise movie, so next up I clearly need to do a Time Travel movie with Tom Cruise in it :). As mentioned previously, I love time travel movies, so it shouldn't be a surprise that I like Edge of Tomorrow, but I also thought it was pretty well done. Like Synchronicity, there's a fair amount of repeated scenes, but with a new twist every time. Unlike Synchronicity, I felt no need to get a cheat sheet, as there was much less... overlap, perhaps is the word. Definitely recommended. Here's the introduction to the film from Wikipedia's entry:
"Edge of Tomorrow (alternatively known by its tagline Live. Die. Repeat. and marketed as such on home release[4])[nb 1] is a 2014 American science fiction action film starring Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt. Doug Liman directed the film based on a screenplay adapted from the 2004 Japanese light novel All You Need Is Kill by Hiroshi Sakurazaka. The film takes place in a future where Earth is invaded by an alien race. Cruise plays Bill Cage, a public relations officer with no combat experience, who is ordered by his superior to film the first wave of a crucial landing operation against the aliens. Though Cage is killed in combat, he finds himself in a time loop that sends him back to the day preceding the battle every time he dies. Cage teams up with Special Forces warrior Rita Vrataski (Blunt) in seeking a way to defeat the extraterrestrials."

And here's the trailer:

As mentioned previously, I love time travel movies,

I'm sure you already know about Michael Crichton's "Timeline". The book was great. The movie "based on the novel" fell far short of its potential. I'd love to see it done proper.

Actually, I hadn't heard of it, but I'd probably like it- the trailer showed some potential, although even the trailer makes me think that it could have been done better ;-).

Actually, I hadn't heard of it, but I'd probably like it- the trailer showed some potential, although even the trailer makes me think that it could have been done better ;-).

Well, I'm happy to have brought the story to your attention. I highly recommend the book. Let me know how you like it as a time travel fan. I wish I could recommend the movie but I can't.

Enjoy.

I've reviewed a time travel movie, I've reviewed a Tom Cruise movie, so next up I clearly need to do a Time Travel movie with Tom Cruise in it :). As mentioned previously, I love time travel movies, so it shouldn't be a surprise that I like Edge of Tomorrow, but I also thought it was pretty well done. Like Synchronicity, there's a fair amount of repeated scenes, but with a new twist every time. Unlike Synchronicity, I felt no need to get a cheat sheet, as there was much less... overlap, perhaps is the word. Definitely recommended. Here's the introduction to the film from Wikipedia's entry:
"Edge of Tomorrow (alternatively known by its tagline Live. Die. Repeat. and marketed as such on home release[4])[nb 1] is a 2014 American science fiction action film starring Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt. Doug Liman directed the film based on a screenplay adapted from the 2004 Japanese light novel All You Need Is Kill by Hiroshi Sakurazaka. The film takes place in a future where Earth is invaded by an alien race. Cruise plays Bill Cage, a public relations officer with no combat experience, who is ordered by his superior to film the first wave of a crucial landing operation against the aliens. Though Cage is killed in combat, he finds himself in a time loop that sends him back to the day preceding the battle every time he dies. Cage teams up with Special Forces warrior Rita Vrataski (Blunt) in seeking a way to defeat the extraterrestrials."

And here's the trailer:

Excellent under appreciated film- part of the problem was the original stupid title.

And here's the trailer:

Excellent under appreciated film- part of the problem was the original stupid title.

What do you mean by original title? The comic title or a previous working title for the film?

And here's the trailer:

What do you mean by original title? The comic title or a previous working title for the film?

When the movie was first released it was "Live, Die, Repeat' which was a stupid title. Edge of Tomorrow is less descriptive- but much more appealing and attractive.

And here's the trailer:

When the movie was first released it was "Live, Die, Repeat' which was a stupid title. Edge of Tomorrow is less descriptive- but much more appealing and attractive.

I thought Live, Die, Repeat was always the tagline, not the movie title.

She doesn't have big boobs. Her warrior consume should take this into consideration and accentuate them.

That's the only thing that felt noteworthy enough to comment on about the film -.-? I think her form was accentuated just fine myself. Your comment reminds me of a certain college humour video :p...

Tom Cruise...has he ever made a movie where he isn't the greatest man alive?
ugh....what an ego.

Laugh :p. I think it's to cover for deep insecurities inside. You seen Oblivion? For those who haven't, read no further if you don't want a plot spoiler.

Basically, Tom is brainwashed into thinking that the good guys are bad and the bad guys are good. I'm not a fan of Scientology, so it just made me think a little :p.

ugh....what an ego.

Cruise's character spends a good portion of Edge of Tomorrow as a self-centered coward.

But I am willing to bet he eventually becomes....the greatest man alive....am I right?

Meh, not exactly. He ends up as the hero, though, certainly. That's usually what happens with the stars of movies. :lol:

ugh....what an ego.

Cruise's character spends a good portion of Edge of Tomorrow as a self-centered coward.

But I am willing to bet he eventually becomes....the greatest man alive....am I right?

Meh, not exactly. He ends up as the hero, though, certainly. That's usually what happens with the stars of movies. :lol:

Well yeah....but you gotta admit...Cruise has, for the most part, played the same character in nearly every movie he has done for 20 years. The unsung super talented cracker jack who for some reason doesn't want to use those talents to do whatever...and in the end is convinced to use his near super power skills to save the day....

Forum List

Back