Ernie S.

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2010
Sweet Home Alabama
October 14, 2011 1:28pm 1179 Comments
Schultz says 'break' is a 'southern racist term'
byJoel Gehrke Commentary Staff Writer
Follow on Twitter:mad:jsgehrkejr
MSNBC host Ed Schultz believes that Herman Cain, pictured, is telling "white Republicans who don't like black folks . . . what they want to hear." / AP

Ed Schultz, host of MSNBC's the Ed Show, believes that Republican presidential contender Herman Cain is pandering to "white Republicans out there who don't like black folks" and accused Sen. Jim Demint, R-S.C., of using racist langauge in his opposition to Obamacare.

Snip

Georgetown professor Michael Eric Dyson agreed with Schultz's suggestion and accused Cain of denying racism for the sake of his "great machinery of self-promotion." Dyson said that Cain should especially recognize "post-intentional racism" - racism that people don't intend to have or to act upon.

Wait a cotton picking minute here! I can be racist without intending to be racist?

Cain is pandering to white republicans that don't like blacks?

Seems to me, if Cain is pandering to anyone, it's Americans that don't like one black individual for reasons other than his race.

Can one be racist without saying to one's self "Hm, what would be the racist thing to do here?" Yes, of course.

There are racists of every race and political party, so of course there are white racist Republicans. Even putting aside his anti-Muslim remarks, has made a number of statements that have particular appeal to racists:

Cain rises by slamming race - CNN.com
Cain charges some in black community of racism – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

I'm sure most of the people who support Cain aren't particularly racist, but I'm equally sure that Cain holds a special appeal for racists.

Can one be racist without saying to one's self "Hm, what would be the racist thing to do here?" Yes, of course.

There are racists of every race and political party, so of course there are white racist Republicans. Even putting aside his anti-Muslim remarks, has made a number of statements that have particular appeal to racists:

Cain charges some in black community of racism – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

I'm sure most of the people who support Cain aren't particularly racist, but I'm equally sure that Cain holds a special appeal for racists.

So I can use words that have some remote racial implication, in a completely innocent manner and intent and still be called racist? BULLSHIT!!!!

Hi LL! I just have a question about your remark that Herman Cain holds a special appeal for racists. I'm not sure what you mean.

Also have to tell you I wasn'ty bothered that much when he said he would not allow a Muslim in his administration. I think due to the terrorism today and the difficulty to determine just who is a "radical" muslim, I would play it safe and look for my talent elsewhere. We are talking about the Executive Branch of gov't. Just being honest.

MSNBC host Ed Schultz believes that Herman Cain, pictured, is telling "white Republicans who don't like black folks . . . what they want to hear." / AP

Ed Schultz, host of MSNBC's the Ed Show, believes that Republican presidential contender Herman Cain is pandering to "white Republicans out there who don't like black folks" and accused Sen. Jim Demint, R-S.C., of using racist langauge in his opposition to Obamacare.

Snip

Georgetown professor Michael Eric Dyson agreed with Schultz's suggestion and accused Cain of denying racism for the sake of his "great machinery of self-promotion." Dyson said that Cain should especially recognize "post-intentional racism" - racism that people don't intend to have or to act upon.

Wait a cotton picking minute here! I can be racist without intending to be racist?

Seems to me, if Cain is pandering to anyone, it's Americans that don't like one black individual for reasons other than his race.

Was there this much fuss around Obama's race when he was running? I was certainly involved in the pre election news but I don't recall the accounts of racism as we are hearing against Herman Cain.

Is it that hard for people, any people to understand that there may be two people of the same race running for the same office and only one appeals to you. AND THIS IS RACIST?

President Obama has a record he can run on, as does Mr. Cain. I will evaluate both men and their records and decide my vote.

But for goodness sake, If I was going to be racist, I would be voting for someone white, now wouldn't I? Or is their a new test for racism since Mr. Obama has screwed up his first term as president? Damned if you do and Damned if you don't.

Liked your post, Ernie.

Who else could SimCity Cain possibly beee pandering to? Everything he is proposing with screw the poor, middle class, and elderly of all colors.

He sure as hell ain't pandering to African Americans

Rush Limbaugh is more popular

Herman Cain is the "black friend" that white conservatives use to offset their racist bullshit.

Snip

Was there this much fuss around Obama's race when he was running? I was certainly involved in the pre election news but I don't recall the accounts of racism as we are hearing against Herman Cain.

Is it that hard for people, any people to understand that there may be two people of the same race running for the same office and only one appeals to you. AND THIS IS RACIST?

President Obama has a record he can run on, as does Mr. Cain. I will evaluate both men and their records and decide my vote.

But for goodness sake, If I was going to be racist, I would be voting for someone white, now wouldn't I? Or is their a new test for racism since Mr. Obama has screwed up his first term as president? Damned if you do and Damned if you don't.

Liked your post, Ernie.
Thanks Jackson.
In Schultz's fantasy world, it seems that anyone, including blacks, that disagree with obama are racist.

Herman Cain is the "black friend" that white conservatives use to offset their racist bullshit.

And barack obama is the articulate clean guy Democrats elected to assuage their post racial guilt.
obama is the left's token black. Cain is a Conservative candidate with a message that resonates with a great many people that just happens to be black.
Herman Cain would be a major Conservative voice even if he was white. If barack obama was white, he would be a bartender in Honolulu.

Why do leftists see everything in terms of race or nationality? Cain is a conservative, what do you expect? His political positions have nothing to do with race, but ideology. I don't care what color he is....

Yet Cain questions the "blackness" of Obama.

Hi LL! I just have a question about your remark that Herman Cain holds a special appeal for racists. I'm not sure what you mean.

Also have to tell you I wasn'ty bothered that much when he said he would not allow a Muslim in his administration. I think due to the terrorism today and the difficulty to determine just who is a "radical" muslim, I would play it safe and look for my talent elsewhere. We are talking about the Executive Branch of gov't. Just being honest.

Hi, Jackson. Thank you for your interest in my post. Here is the question as I understand it:

Question: How would Cain's statements appeal to people (subsequently referred to as "racists") who actively dislike black people?

I think it is clear that statements which tend to make black people as a whole look bad would be particularly appealing to racists. Consider Cain's statements:

"A lot of these liberal, leftist folk in this country, that are black, they're more racist than the white people that they're claiming to be racist."

This statement is about "a lot" of black liberals. Most blacks are left of center, (they're about ten times more likely to be Democrats than Republicans Republican Base Heavily White, Conservative, Religious). By calling them racist, Cain can be plausibly seen as criticizing the black community, which as I've said I think has a clear appeal for racists. He also defends white people who are accused of being racists. Since racists are more likely to be called racist, this too doubtless holds appeal for them.

Cain also said that he didn't "believe there is racism in this country today that holds anybody back in a big way." Given the demonstrable problems in the black community (education, income, life expectancy disparities) someone must be to blame for them. If it is non-blacks, then we can blame racism. Otherwise, we must blame the black community itself. Thus, when Cain denies the significance of racism he not only again indemnifies actual racists, he also implicitly blames blacks for the problems in their community. Again, this should appeal to racists.

Thus, regardless of whether Cain's remarks are true or fair (I don't think they are) or whether they can appeal to non-racists (I think they can) I think it is clear that they hold more appeal to people who dislike black people than to people who like black people.

Of course he also makes many remarks that hold no particular appeal to racists. A few, most prominently his criticism of Perry for the name of the hunting cabin, probably were particularly unappealing to racists.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back