Ed Koch Endorses Obama Re-election Bid

jillian

Princess
Apr 4, 2006
The Other Side of Paradise
After using his not insubstantial political capital to help send NY-9 over to the republican side of the aisle for the first time in 90 years to "send a message to obama on israel". ed koch, iconic former mayor of ny has decided that after the president's speech at the UN the other day, that all is forgiven and he is supporting his re-election bid.

Former Mayor Ed Koch, who endorsed a Republican congressional candidate in New York as a way to "send a message" to President Obama on his policies toward Israel, now says he supports the president.

Koch told NBC New York that he is "back on the Obama Express Bus for re-election" after hearing his speech last week to the U.N.

"He has convinced me that he is very supportive of the state of Israel," Koch said. "His speech at the U.N. in support of Israel was extraordinary... I couldn't have made a better one myself."

Obama, in his speech, declared there was no shortcut to peace between Israel and the Palestinians, and forcefully defended his opposition to the Palestinian plan to seek statehood recognition from the U.N. Security Council.

Ed Koch Announces Support for Obama After Israel Speech | NBC New York

It's not surprising that he'll be supporting Obama in 2012, but I'm surprised by how quickly and frankly he reversed himself.

Obama gives a speech and now Koch says, "I'm fully satisfied with the president's actions as they relate to Israel."

He wasn't satisfied with Obama's actions before the speech. But now, after a speech, he is satisfied with his actions.

What action was it that Obama did when he gave a nice speech? The only action I can take from that is that Obama proved he will say anything to secure votes. That's an action which settles Koch's concerns and is worth a vote?

Democrats sure put a lot of weight on pretty speeches.

Obama gives a speech and now Koch says, "I'm fully satisfied with the president's actions as they relate to Israel."

He wasn't satisfied with Obama's actions before the speech. But now, after a speech, he is satisfied with his actions.

What action was it that Obama did when he gave a nice speech? The only action I can take from that is that Obama proved he will say anything to secure votes. That's an action which settles Koch's concerns and is worth a vote?

i think you're not understanding what the speech was and what koch's only issue was with the president.

but don't worry. it's not like koch would think his endorsement would matter to you. you'd have to not suffer from obama derangement syndrome to get it.

After using his not insubstantial political capital to help send NY-9 over to the republican side of the aisle for the first time in 90 years to "send a message to obama on israel". ed koch, iconic former mayor of ny has decided that after the president's speech at the UN the other day, that all is forgiven and he is supporting his re-election bid.

Former Mayor Ed Koch, who endorsed a Republican congressional candidate in New York as a way to "send a message" to President Obama on his policies toward Israel, now says he supports the president.

Koch told NBC New York that he is "back on the Obama Express Bus for re-election" after hearing his speech last week to the U.N.

"He has convinced me that he is very supportive of the state of Israel," Koch said. "His speech at the U.N. in support of Israel was extraordinary... I couldn't have made a better one myself."

Obama, in his speech, declared there was no shortcut to peace between Israel and the Palestinians, and forcefully defended his opposition to the Palestinian plan to seek statehood recognition from the U.N. Security Council.

Yey!!...Does that make you happy? Libs are libs, the dems got to him. Doesn't really matter, Obama’s % of the Jewish vote will drop drastically. I'm predicting a new record for Republicans over 40% of the Jewish vote, and lets just see how much Koch will actually campaign for Obama. I'm betting not much. Man I love the Orthodox Jews Obama has a 8% favorable rating among practicing Jews, Half of these liberal Jews do not even bother to practice the religion. Oh wait.,.. They practice their liberalism

i think you're not understanding what the speech was and what koch's only issue was with the president.

but don't worry. it's not like koch would think his endorsement would matter to you. you'd have to not suffer from obama derangement syndrome to get it.

You're right. I don't know what his "only issue" was. I have no idea what disturbed him so profoundly that he would endorse a Republican for that seat.

And I have no idea what wonderful thing Obama said which would have put Koch's mind to rest so serenely that his profound difference(s) with Obama would have evaporated.

If you would care to share, I would appreciate it.

If you don't, I'll take it on face value. Well, one level deeper than face value. I don't actually believe that Koch would be swayed by a pretty speech. So the logical explanation is that there is something more crassly political going on here.

But again ... if you want to tell me what one issue was so profound that it would lead Koch to endorse a Republican but so simple that it could be healed with a speech ... I would love to hear the details from you.

Ed who??? :eusa_whistle: :D

Last edited:
Borg_aboard_Enterprise_(NX-01).jpg

Liberal Democrat, Ed Koch, has always been extremely ethical, and has always put city/state/country ahead of party; so much so, that in the past, his endorsements have included Rudy Giuliani (for Mayor), Michael Bloomberg during his first run for Mayor (as a Republican), Al D'Amato (for U.S. Senate), Peter King (for U.S. House), George Pataki (for Governor), and, George W. Bush (for President, 2004.) And now, Bob Turner (for U.S. House.)

All of the above are/were Republicans.

As a Republican, as well as a resident of NYC, i have always held the man in high esteem, and with pride.

Liberal Democrat, Ed Koch, has always been extremely ethical, and has always put city/state/country ahead of party; so much so, that in the past, his endorsements have included Rudy Giuliani (for Mayor), Michael Bloomberg during his first run for Mayor (as a Republican), Al D'Amato (for U.S. Senate), Peter King (for U.S. House), George Pataki (for Governor), and, George W. Bush (for President, 2004.) And now, Bob Turner (for U.S. House.)

All of the above are/were Republicans.

As a Republican, as well as a resident of NYC, i have always held the man in high esteem, and with pride.

So do you know what it was that Koch thought was so bad about Obama that he endorsed the Republican for NY-9? But which Obama was able to completely cure with a single speech?

Last edited:
I honestly feel that Koch was trying to relay a message to the Obama administration, that his ideological stance lies with Israel.
Keep up the support, don't stray from the message, or else...

Forum List

Back