Eating fish may increase risk of melanoma, study shows

Weatherman2020

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2013
Right coast, classified
So try to keep your diet balanced and don’t eat too much fish.
1654968031838.jpeg

View attachment 656621
Just stay away from farm raised fish and certain fish that tend to run higher in Mercury content. It's the PCB's that are the issue. Even previously frozen is better than farm raised.
One of the biggest offenders?...farm raised Tilapia (don't Google it. You'll just get sick).

View attachment 656621

There are 3 great spring fed rivers near our hunting property. I wonder if being spring fed means less toxins. I want to go fishing and stock up on fish to offset the high prices of meat. But I won't eat fish I catch on my lake in Metro Detroit. Up north MI the rivers are clean and spring fed.

• Instead, they suspect eating fish lower in toxins might be best.
Greater consumption of tuna and other non-fried fish was associated with an increased risk of melanoma, the most serious type of skin cancer, according to a new study.

Fish absorb contaminants such as PCBs, PBDEs, dioxins, and chlorinated pesticides from water, sediments, and the food they eat. In contaminated areas, bottom-dwelling fish are especially likely to have high levels of these chemicals because these substances settle to the bottom where the fish feed.

“We speculate that our findings could possibly be attributed to contaminants in fish, such as polychlorinated biphenyls, dioxins, arsenic and mercury,” study author Eunyoung Cho, ScD, an associate professor of dermatology and epidemiology at Brown University, said in a news release.

Topline on Fish ToxinsFatty fish such as salmon, mackerel, shark, swordfish, and herringare the most likely to contain dangerous chemicals in their fat tissues.

I'm going for trout, bass and perch. They are low in toxins.

• Tilapia.
  • Alaskan Cod.
  • Catfish.
  • Halibut.
  • Striped Bass.
  • Trout.
  • Perch.
  • Shrimp.
The best fried fish is made from mild flavored, white-fleshed fish like sea bass, flounder, cod, haddock, pollock, tautog or scup. (For freshwater fish, I use white perch, yellow perch, or walleye). I avoid frying oily fish like bluefish, trout, salmon, or tuna.

We've introduced enough chemicals into the environment to cause cancers. Well done america

New Topics

Forum List

Back