Eating disorders and OCD

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 22, 2004
Minnesota
Got a question, maybe some of you will be able to answer it.

As long as I remember, I've been a very picky eater. I just have this mental block of eating things my head isnt used to. I think it might be a mild form of Obsessive compulsive disorder.

It was never really that big a deal growing up, but its really bugging the heck out of me lately. Partially because im a complete and total control freak and i dont like not being in control of this.

However, I cant seem to find any sort of information on whether this is common or even any information addressing this stuff. I try looking up eating disorders, all i get is the traditional stuff, anerexia or bulemnia. But I dont have either of those and nothing as severe.

Anyway i need to get pasted this. so anything anyone knows could be helpful.

I'm sorry this won't be of any help, but on the same subject, my 11 year old Grandson has OCD very bad. That is until he comes to my house. At home and at his other Grandparents house, and at school, he has to do certain things before he can do other things. If his fork is pointed the wrong way he throws a fit, if one thing is put on his sandwich before another thing he throws a fit, he has to walk around the couch before going outside and if it takes the wrong amount of steps he throws a fit and has to do it again, etc., etc.. Quite naturally his parents and school listens to his Dr. and follows his instructions. When he comes here, I tell him "I have your medicine around my waist holding my pants up". I've never used it and never will, but when he is here there is no OCD at all. We ride the tractor, tinker in the garage and whatever else we decide to do. He is still picky about what he eats though, but mostly because of what we eat, the younger generation don't eat any more. But what he does eat, he eats without OCD. I knew a very vivacious young lady that had it so bad she committed suicide though.

As long as I remember, I've been a very picky eater. I just have this mental block of eating things my head isnt used to. I think it might be a mild form of Obsessive compulsive disorder.

It was never really that big a deal growing up, but its really bugging the heck out of me lately. Partially because im a complete and total control freak and i dont like not being in control of this.

However, I cant seem to find any sort of information on whether this is common or even any information addressing this stuff. I try looking up eating disorders, all i get is the traditional stuff, anerexia or bulemnia. But I dont have either of those and nothing as severe.

Start drinking. :rofl:

Too funny! "clink"

For sure. Anything tastes good at 3am after a long shift of drinking. :eusa_whistle:

Actually, I know another adult male like this. He's gotten worse with age. At first, we blamed his mother for not only encouraging it, but bringing his salmon on toast to his bedside on a tv tray. Now, at 42, we just think he's :cuckoo:

\

For sure. Anything tastes good at 3am after a long shift of drinking. :eusa_whistle:

Actually, I know another adult male like this. He's gotten worse with age. At first, we blamed his mother for not only encouraging it, but bringing his salmon on toast to his bedside on a tv tray. Now, at 42, we just think he's :cuckoo:

\

In all seriousness, I do think that most picky eaters are a result of being indulged by mom. I know I was. Then about 18, when I started dating guys that could pay for more than a grilled cheese, I realized my pickiness was a handicap. I worked at getting over it.

In all seriousness, I do think that most picky eaters are a result of being indulged by mom. I know I was. Then about 18, when I started dating guys that could pay for more than a grilled cheese, I realized my pickiness was a handicap. I worked at getting over it.

Can hardly blame my parents. they tried. I just happen to be more patient:-D

Seriously though it is a handicap. I think I could be in incredible shape if i could just force my way through it, but it takes so much mental strain to do that. it gets tiring very easily

Seriously though it is a handicap. I think I could be in incredible shape if i could just force my way through it, but it takes so much mental strain to do that. it gets tiring very easily

You seem like such a disciplined person with tremendous will power....maybe you should just decide to take control? i would imagine that your choice to let this control you is simply that a choice.....as you said, you are a control freak about everything but this....could it be that this is the one guilty pleasure you allow yourself?

Try starting with things that you don't like, but won't make you gag. My biggest problem was meat and vegetables that smell. I still don't much go for cabbage and such, texture and smell were my big problems.

Try starting with things that you don't like, but won't make you gag. My biggest problem was meat and vegetables that smell. I still don't much go for cabbage and such, texture and smell were my big problems.

or you could always do what i do....decide you don't have a problem and only eat things you like.

or you could always do what i do....decide you don't have a problem and only eat things you like.

Depends on the problem. Seriously, I couldn't eat most meats, vegetables, some fruits, nuts.

I ate peanut butter sandwhiches whenever I didn't like what was made. Mostly ate peanut butter. I however, being me, did like shrimp. My mom would make me shrimp and spaghetti, though they could not 'touch', at least 3 times a week. I was weird. :rofl: :rofl:

Truly, how do you date with that? I learned pretty quick to figure out some reasonable compromises. Now I'm down to 'not touching' only lunchmeats, hot dogs, hamburgers...not bad things to eliminate.

Oh I hate brussel sprouts, cabbage, most squash.

Depends on the problem. Seriously, I couldn't eat most meats, vegetables, some fruits, nuts.

I ate peanut butter sandwhiches whenever I didn't like what was made. Mostly ate peanut butter. I however, being me, did like shrimp. My mom would make me shrimp and spaghetti, though they could not 'touch', at least 3 times a week. I was weird. :rofl: :rofl:

Truly, how do you date with that? I learned pretty quick to figure out some reasonable compromises. Now I'm down to 'not touching' only lunchmeats, hot dogs, hamburgers...not bad things to eliminate.

Oh I hate brussel sprouts, cabbage, most squash.

no worries about ordering the surf and turnf then not giving it up ..... sounds like a dream date .....

and i am with you on the brussel sprouts, cabbage, most squash....and the one i hate the most...cale....french for wet garbage.....

no worries about ordering the surf and turnf then not giving it up ..... sounds like a dream date .....

and i am with you on the brussel sprouts, cabbage, most squash....and the one i hate the most...cale....french for wet garbage.....

Dream date? Yeah, I'll have water and salad, (no dressing, tomatoes, cucumbers, onions), btw, do you serve peanut butter? :rofl: :rofl:

On the other hand, McD's made me want to throw up. White Castle? Pulling into the parking lot made me hurl. Bad, bad.

Dream date? Yeah, I'll have water and salad, (no dressing, tomatoes, cucumbers, onions), btw, do you serve peanut butter? :rofl: :rofl:

On the other hand, McD's made me want to throw up. White Castle? Pulling into the parking lot made me hurl. Bad, bad.

my dad's family were rancher farmer stock....internal organs and soggy veggies .... many a night i sat at the table till dawn

Sounds to me like you're a fussy eater and some things just skeeve you, for whatever reason.

Whether or not something is OCD depends on the behaviors involved... are they rationally related to a goal or are they self-defeating (for example, behaviors like needing to open and close your doorlock 2 dozen times before you are able to go to work or having to wash your hands obsessively).

Eating disorders ARE control issues, so you're right about that. And they are control of what one puts in their mouth. But the denial has nothing to do with liking or not liking a food or finding it unappealing. It's a way of controlling weight when one can't control one's environment.

Sometimes we can't help our likes and dislikes. I didn't eat an egg til I was in law school. Even now, I can't stand them if they're runny. And there are without a doubt things I won't try. I think you're not alone there.

Hope that helps.

Forum List

Back