Easy Way to Fix Most of the Debate Probles

Dayton3

Gold Member
May 3, 2009
You know the problems of the candidates (mainly Trump) of trying to talk over their opponent, interrupting, and all that.

The solution for most of those problems is unbelievably simple.

Put an electronic timer on the candidates microphones. When it is their time to speak the microphone becomes active for two minutes and only two minutes. During that time the other candidates microphone will not work.

Wouldn't this prevent a lot of the problems shown last night?

You know the problems of the candidates (mainly Trump) of trying to talk over their opponent, interrupting, and all that.

Put an electronic timer on the candidates microphones. When it is their time to speak the microphone becomes active for two minutes and only two minutes. During that time the other candidates microphone will not work.

Someone on the mixer board could also drop the sound out of the mic.

One problem that needs fixing is for the moderator to not debate one side of the stage only...in fact why was Wallace debating Trump all night....every time Trump was on the verge of a point Wallace stopped him.....it was a joke and FOX news should be ashamed today.....

Funny how this wasn’t a problem ever before.

Maybe the answer is just for Trump to follow the rules!

One problem that needs fixing is for the moderator to not debate one side of the stage only...in fact why was Wallace debating Trump all night....every time Trump was on the verge of a point Wallace stopped him.....it was a joke and FOX news should be ashamed today.....
Trump mostly rambled stupidly all night.

Trump mostly rambled stupidly all night.
And Biden lied all night...

Trump will still shout over the dead mike

Sure. That makes a lot of sense. I want a candidate cut off in mid-sentence as he's trying to tell me how he's going to save the country, BECAUSE A TIMER WENT OFF IN HIS MICROPHONE.
I want all my answers cut up like nice little uniform cubes of ham.

How about a simpler idea:

1. Few topics.
  2. Competent moderator.
  3. More time to delve into topics in depth.
  4. Time like is usually given for candidates to raise their hand, ask for an additional 30 seconds to reply to something said rather than a moderator cutting you off shouting over you insultingly that you're "out of time."
NEWS FLASH FOR YA, JIMMY BOY, I come there for the ANSWERS, not to hear the QUESTIONS.

From the CPD:

"The Commission on Presidential Debates sponsors televised debates for the benefit of the American electorate. Last night’s debate made clear that additional structure should be added to the format of the remaining debates to ensure a more orderly discussion of the issues. The CPD will be carefully considering the changes that it will adopt and will announce those measures shortly. The Commission is grateful to Chris Wallace for the professionalism and skill he brought to last night’s debate and intends to ensure that additional tools to maintain order are in place for the remaining debates. "

If shouting is a possibility put them both in sound proof booths.

Look, in my OP I admitted that Donald Trump was the main guilty party in last nights debate. But this has been at least somewhat of an issue for years. Chris Wallace did not do that great a job. To me the best debate moderator was Jim Lehrer. Despite his "middle ass tax cuts" snafu in the 1996 Republican debates.

The entire format and moderation was a disaster.

No opening statements?

WTF?

That alone would have given both candidates to get some things off their chest.
Not letting a candidate respond to attacks is also a recipe for over-talk and chaos.

Because of that, Wallace sucked 18 miles of fermented donkey taint as a moderator. Never again for that asshole.

The solution is to let them talk.

2 minutes for the question then open debate.

What part of open debate means the moderator jumps in constantly trying to direct the flow???

I agree! The Commission on Presidential Debates has promised to make some changes for the remaining two presidential debates.

New Topics

Forum List

Back