Easy holiday snack

AllieBaba

Rookie
Oct 2, 2007
Per the Barefoot Contessa.

Pre-made phyllo dough
Pre-cooked, thin-sliced ham (she used Black Forest. But any ham or breakfast meet can be used)
Sliced cheese. Again, can be any sort. She used Guyere, I used swiss. American works, as would provolone or even bleu.

Roll out one of the prepared phyllo sheets (as in the whole lot, don't divide into layers first) so it's about 10x12" (cookie sheet) size

Lay a layer of ham on it
Lay a layer of cheese on it
Brush the edges with egg wash
Roll out 2nd layer of phyllo and put on top, seal edges with fork
Slash top to let steam escap

Cook @ 350 degrees until golden brown.
Cut into squares

Serve.

Good hot or cold. I made this last night, my son, who is a picky eater, CHOWED on it.

My daughter, who hates cheese, didn't because of the sharp cheddar (which I did use sparingly).

At first it will be really puffy, as it cools the height comes down, but it reamins yummy.

You're supposed to cook on parchment paper, but I didn't have any and used tin foil, shiny side up, and that worked really well.

• Banned
BTW, this is also a great fun way for kids to help out in the kitchen. My 7 y.o. got to help with rolling, laying out the filling, putting on the egg wash and crimping the edges with her fork.

Oh,when you are arranging the filling, fill leave about a 1" border around the filling to allow for sealing space.