Easter - ABC Style

red states rule

May 30, 2006
Easter, ABC-Style: Cluster Bombs, 'Pagan' Easter Bunny
Posted by Mark Finkelstein on April 8, 2007 - 08:52.

You might think that Easter would be an occasion for an MSM outlet like ABC to invite in a serious Christian theologian or minister to discuss issues of death and resurrection. Please. I did say "an MSM outlet." ABC's Good Morning America decided the best way to celebrate Easter today was to devote one segment to an anti-war activist who had organized a "cluster bomb hunt" to parallel the White House's Easter egg hunt, and another segment to a mocking examination of the Easter bunny.

In the first segment, GMA's Kate Snow interviewed Brian Hennessey, organizer of the "cluster bomb hunt" outside the White House to protest the use of the weapons. Small children were shown constructing the mock bombs, and later would be sent out to search for them. Claimed Hennessey "we're not trying to politicize kids in any way." Right. When he later mentioned that the kids' parents would be "looking for weapons of mass destruction which of course aren't there," Snow didn't bother to suppress a laugh. Not surprising. This is the same Snow who a couple weeks ago who was moved to laughter by a painting that depicted Christ and his disciples as dogs.

Next, it was time for ABC's Marisol Castro to explore the origins of the Easter bunny. "Why is one of [Easter's] most popular symbols a bunny rabbit? We went far and wide posing that question to the masses." The masses? Ah yes, let's explore how the little people celebrate their quaint religious customs. "Do they really know anything about him?" wondered Castro. And sure enough, there she was, putting kids, adults and even a shopping mall Easter bunny on the spot: "do you know where the Easter bunny comes from?" Subtext: don't you rubes know you're propagating a pagan custom?

To clear things up, Castro brought in someone from Beliefnet to explain: "The holiday started off as a fertility festival celebrating the goddess of Oestera, whose sacred animal was a bunny rabbit. Eggs have been a symbol of fertility for even longer than that."

CASTRO: The holiest date on the Christian calendar, Easter got its name around 325 A.D. Over the centuries, these pagan symbols have become synonymous with the Christian holiday.

BELIEFNET SPOKESMAN: The existence of the Easter bunny and Easter eggs has actually been a very powerful and effective way of drawing children into the Easter celebration. After all, the story of the crucifixion and resurrection is a tough story.

Too tough for ABC, at least, to treat respectfully.

http://newsbusters.org/node/11908

I dont mean any offence, but as you put in another post,

"News organizations sell news people want to watch and buy"

Now im sure you'll correct me if im wrong, but How many kids watch ABC and "MSM" News?
Were you hoping they would teach a bit about the resurrection between commmercials?
I think its safe to assume that most adults who would want to know, have already heard the story of "The Resurrection" and I doubt they sat with their children watching the news hoping for a lesson on it.
They'll probably just wait till sunday when they go over it for a few hours in church.

I guess the "News talk show Gods" didnt find it pertinent enough to rehash a story that doesnt really need to be on the news. The exposure appears to be wide enough without their help.
So instead they came up with crappy stories about easter bunnies and cluster bombs.

Must be a slow news Easter, what with no celebrity deaths or government scandals.

Happy Easter!

I dont mean any offence, but as you put in another post,

"News organizations sell news people want to watch and buy"

Now im sure you'll correct me if im wrong, but How many kids watch ABC and "MSM" News?
Were you hoping they would teach a bit about the resurrection between commmercials?
I think its safe to assume that most adults who would want to know, have already heard the story of "The Resurrection" and I doubt they sat with their children watching the news hoping for a lesson on it.
They'll probably just wait till sunday when they go over it for a few hours in church.

I guess the "News talk show Gods" didnt find it pertinent enough to rehash a story that doesnt really need to be on the news. The exposure appears to be wide enough without their help.
So instead they came up with crappy stories about easter bunnies and cluster bombs.

Must be a slow news Easter, what with no celebrity deaths or government scandals.

Happy Easter!

The liberal media continues to live down to all my expectations - even on Easter Sunday

Hate to disappoint you, but Easter, as we now know it WAS a pagan holiday co-opted by the very pre-reformation Catholic Church in order to win over pagan converts. And, if you look closely, you will find biblical scripture contains the mythos of many pagan cultures within its pages.

One that comes readily to mind is the Epic of Gilgamesh and the biblical story of the Great Flood. The latter being lifted almost word for word from the Epic of Giglagmesh.

Hate to disappoint you, but Easter, as we now know it WAS a pagan holiday co-opted by the very pre-reformation Catholic Church in order to win over pagan converts. And, if you look closely, you will find biblical scripture contains the mythos of many pagan cultures within its pages.

One that comes readily to mind is the Epic of Gilgamesh and the biblical story of the Great Flood. The latter being lifted almost word for word from the Epic of Giglagmesh.

First libs declared war on Christmas - now Easter

Why am I not surprised?

Interestingly enough...I just got back from a very inspirational Easter service.... and bunnies and eggs weren't mentioned ONCE.

Interestingly enough...I just got back from a very inspirational Easter service.... and bunnies and eggs weren't mentioned ONCE.

If it is a Holiday - you will find some offended liberals trying to ruin the day for everyone

If it is a Holiday - you will find some offended liberals trying to ruin the day for everyone

oddly enough... I am a liberal, and I am quite devout in my celebrations during Easter week.... and you don't here ME bitching that liberals are trying to ruin the day for everyone.... my church is overwhelmingly liberal and all of us were filled with the spirit of Easter morning.

YOu, on the other hand, bitch and complain and moan about liberals like ME ruining Easter for everyone, but YOU have been on here posting pretty much non-stop since 6:45 EDT so obviously, Easter isn't anything that YOU take to seriously!

False outrage.

oddly enough... I am a liberal, and I am quite devout in my celebrations during Easter week.... and you don't here ME bitching that liberals are trying to ruin the day for everyone.... my church is overwhelmingly liberal and all of us were filled with the spirit of Easter morning.

YOu, on the other hand, bitch and complain and moan about liberals like ME ruining Easter for everyone, but YOU have been on here posting pretty much non-stop since 6:45 EDT so obviously, Easter isn't anything that YOU take to seriously!

False outrage.

Did I say you? Only your fellow libs who insist on trying to ruin the holiday for the rest of us

You paint with a very broad stroke with your constant labelling.

It happens every Christmas with the ACLU and the "offended" liberals, now they are starting with Easter

Not all libs of course - but it does happen every year

Is Easter latest holiday hijack?
Bunny gets booted from city council as some fear offending non-Christians

Posted: March 24, 2006
1:00 a.m. Eastern

By Joe Kovacs
© 2006 WorldNetDaily.com

Is the Easter Bunny an endangered species?

In the wake of the national uproar over the celebration of Christmas in America, some are now focusing their attention on Easter, wondering if political correctness will have an impact on what many Christians consider to be the holiest time of the year.

This week in Minnesota's capital, a toy rabbit, pastel-colored eggs and a sign with the words "Happy Easter" adorning the entrance to the St. Paul City Council offices were ordered to hit the bunny trail by the city's human-rights director who claimed the items might offend non-Christians.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=49406

That is indeed strange. Although, I try and rarely resort to labelling in defence of an arguement. unlike some.

I can tell---you simply phrase things differently. I guess it's your way of deluding yourself ? Nouns are lables--it would be pretty tough to type a sentence without one.

I can tell---you simply phrase things differently. I guess it's your way of deluding yourself ? Nouns are lables--it would be pretty tough to type a sentence without one.

When someone disagrees with me, or has a different opinion, the first thing I do is NOT label them "Enviro wack" "Useful idiot" "Communist" "Moonbat" “Tin foil hat crowd” “Liberal Nutt” "Crackpot"“Kook Left” "Conspiracy Theorist"......

Unlike some.

Did I say you? Only your fellow libs who insist on trying to ruin the holiday for the rest of us

how can someone "ruin" Easter for someone who clearly does not observe it?

As I pointed out....you were on here pretty much non-stop from 6:45AM EDT this morning.... Why should YOU care about what anyone else does or doesn't do on Easter...the resurrection of Jesus Christ clearly is of little to no importance in YOUR life.

why don't you at least confine your generalized whining about liberals to the issues that matter to you?

If no one was yelling,

"Someone might find this offensive",

then no one would look at things and say,

"I never really cared, and whatever it is, didn't bother me before, but because I have nothing better to do, now I might be offended by it."

Then who would think about the children?

You might think that Easter would be an occasion for an MSM outlet like ABC to invite in a serious Christian theologian or minister to discuss issues of death and resurrection. Please. I did say "an MSM outlet." ABC's Good Morning America decided the best way to celebrate Easter today was to devote one segment to an anti-war activist who had organized a "cluster bomb hunt" to parallel the White House's Easter egg hunt, and another segment to a mocking examination of the Easter bunny.

In the first segment, GMA's Kate Snow interviewed Brian Hennessey, organizer of the "cluster bomb hunt" outside the White House to protest the use of the weapons. Small children were shown constructing the mock bombs, and later would be sent out to search for them. Claimed Hennessey "we're not trying to politicize kids in any way." Right. When he later mentioned that the kids' parents would be "looking for weapons of mass destruction which of course aren't there," Snow didn't bother to suppress a laugh. Not surprising. This is the same Snow who a couple weeks ago who was moved to laughter by a painting that depicted Christ and his disciples as dogs.

Next, it was time for ABC's Marisol Castro to explore the origins of the Easter bunny. "Why is one of [Easter's] most popular symbols a bunny rabbit? We went far and wide posing that question to the masses." The masses? Ah yes, let's explore how the little people celebrate their quaint religious customs. "Do they really know anything about him?" wondered Castro. And sure enough, there she was, putting kids, adults and even a shopping mall Easter bunny on the spot: "do you know where the Easter bunny comes from?" Subtext: don't you rubes know you're propagating a pagan custom?

To clear things up, Castro brought in someone from Beliefnet to explain: "The holiday started off as a fertility festival celebrating the goddess of Oestera, whose sacred animal was a bunny rabbit. Eggs have been a symbol of fertility for even longer than that."

CASTRO: The holiest date on the Christian calendar, Easter got its name around 325 A.D. Over the centuries, these pagan symbols have become synonymous with the Christian holiday.

BELIEFNET SPOKESMAN: The existence of the Easter bunny and Easter eggs has actually been a very powerful and effective way of drawing children into the Easter celebration. After all, the story of the crucifixion and resurrection is a tough story.

I posted a thread on the significance of eggs in Easter, and the misconception that the current addition of eggs to the holiday had only Pagan prominence.

See? Too many use the misunderstanding that only Pagan significance can be attached to the eggs. This is a sad misguided and misinformed ideation that ignores the fact that Christianity came from the Jewish religion. The eggs have a more significant meaning and were included in the holiday before the addition of coloring the eggs.

Please see that thread. It is a sad state indeed when all the pontification includes only the significance that the Pagans introduced.

Here is the thread:

Misconception, Easter and Eggs...

New Topics

Forum List

Back