Easter - ABC Style

I am a liberal... and I care about Easter....obviously infinitely more than YOU do.

Is it required one go to an Easter Service to be Christian? If 'yes', because of the commandment, then Christians that do not attend Sunday services weekly are wrong?

I know the Catholic teachings on this, have never been clear on the Protestant.

Is it required one go to an Easter Service to be Christian? If 'yes', because of the commandment, then Christians that do not attend Sunday services weekly are wrong?

I know the Catholic teachings on this, have never been clear on the Protestant.

required? of course not. The point is: if Easter meant so damned much to RSR, why was he here blasting away at libs instead of in church celebrating the resurrection of Jesus?

required? of course not. The point is: if Easter meant so damned much to RSR, why was he here blasting away at libs instead of in church celebrating the resurrection of Jesus?

because libs are blasting away at Christians and Easter

Like they do every Christmas

But can't one 'celebrate' at home, personally? Isn't that just as effective, for some?

But can't one 'celebrate' at home, personally? Isn't that just as effective, for some?

oh...whatever kathianne....

you're right, of course...i am sure that in between the zillion posts that RSR made between 6:45 and noon this morning he was deep in prayer and religious thought concerning the resurrection of Jesus.

yeah.... let's go with that.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I am a lib...I don't blast away at Easter and Christmas....it is YOU who equates a fucking bunny and a handful of colored eggs to Easter...not me.

nothing like the calmness and tact of a liberal

Your padded room is waiting at the Funny Farm

oh...whatever kathianne....

you're right, of course...i am sure that in between the zillion posts that RSR made between 6:45 and noon this morning he was deep in prayer and religious thought concerning the resurrection of Jesus.

yeah.... let's go with that.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Well, for Catholics it's a major sin to miss Mass, at Easter, Christmas, any Sunday. Now I've had Protestant friends say, "Well all you have to do is go to Confession and all is forgiven." Not exactly, it's required that you resolve to do better in the future. Popes or priests that promise differently by 'giving' to the Church are false, which should have been clear before the Reformation.

With that said, I've always thought that the Protestant churches also subscribed to the Commandments, not 'suggestions'; as well as the concept of sin. If so, isn't it also a 'sin' to not keep holy the Sabbath? If so, does saying 'I'm sorry' in nightly prayers, knowing you have no intention of worshiping the following week make that weak?

I know you are not a theologian, but you are what I have here right now. ;)

Well, for Catholics it's a major sin to miss Mass, at Easter, Christmas, any Sunday. Now I've had Protestant friends say, "Well all you have to do is go to Confession and all is forgiven." Not exactly, it's required that you resolve to do better in the future. Popes or priests that promise differently by 'giving' to the Church are false, which should have been clear before the Reformation.

With that said, I've always thought that the Protestant churches also subscribed to the Commandments, not 'suggestions'; as well as the concept of sin. If so, isn't it also a 'sin' to not keep holy the Sabbath? If so, does saying 'I'm sorry' in nightly prayers, knowing you have no intention of worshiping the following week make that weak?

I know you are not a theologian, but you are what I have here right now. ;)

I am not about to get into a theological discussion with you...this is about Red States Rule and his assault on "libs" about Easter when he clearly thinks that Easter is about bunnies and eggs and not about the celebration of the risen Christ. And failing to keep the sabbath holy is not a mortal sin in any mainline catholic or protestant denomination.

I am not about to get into a theological discussion with you...this is about Red States Rule and his assault on "libs" about Easter when he clearly thinks that Easter is about bunnies and eggs and not about the celebration of the risen Christ. And failing to keep the sabbath holy is not a mortal sin in any mainline catholic or protestant denomination.

Yeah, it is in Roman Catholic Church. Really. Whether or not Catholics subscribe to it, that's the teaching.

Yeah, it is in Roman Catholic Church. Really. Whether or not Catholics subscribe to it, that's the teaching.

Ah, crap. I'm going to Hell. Of course, as a lapsed Catholic and current agnostic, I pretty much figured as much. That is, if Hell exists.

in the catholic church there are seven mortal sins.... lust sloth, gluttony greed envy wrath pride.

not going to church on sunday is not one of them.

in the catholic church there are seven mortal sins.... lust sloth, gluttony greed envy wrath pride.

not going to church on sunday is not one of them.

Wrong, those seven deadly sins are covered within the commandments.

There are three criteria for mortal sin:

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p3s1c1a8.htm#1854

1856 Mortal sin, by attacking the vital principle within us - that is, charity - necessitates a new initiative of God's mercy and a conversion of heart which is normally accomplished within the setting of the sacrament of reconciliation:

When the will sets itself upon something that is of its nature incompatible with the charity that orients man toward his ultimate end, then the sin is mortal by its very object . . . whether it contradicts the love of God, such as blasphemy or perjury, or the love of neighbor, such as homicide or adultery. . . . But when the sinner's will is set upon something that of its nature involves a disorder, but is not opposed to the love of God and neighbor, such as thoughtless chatter or immoderate laughter and the like, such sins are venial.130

1857 For a sin to be mortal, three conditions must together be met: "Mortal sin is sin whose object is grave matter and which is also committed with full knowledge and deliberate consent."131

1858 Grave matter is specified by the Ten Commandments, corresponding to the answer of Jesus to the rich young man: "Do not kill, Do not commit adultery, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Do not defraud, Honor your father and your mother."132 The gravity of sins is more or less great: murder is graver than theft. One must also take into account who is wronged: violence against parents is in itself graver than violence against a stranger.

1859 Mortal sin requires full knowledge and complete consent. It presupposes knowledge of the sinful character of the act, of its opposition to God's law. It also implies a consent sufficiently deliberate to be a personal choice. Feigned ignorance and hardness of heart133 do not diminish, but rather increase, the voluntary character of a sin.

highlight that sentence that says that not going to church is a mortal sin...I missed it.

highlight that sentence that says that not going to church is a mortal sin...I missed it.

Covered within the 'serious sin' definition, "Grave matter...." Catholic doctrine is written broadly and interpreted narrowly.

Forum List

Back