Earthquake 6.6 hits Japan

Japan's early warning system predicted the earthquake just before it hit, with public broadcaster NHK interrupting a sumo match to warn residents to take cover.

The country is one of the world's most earthquake-prone countries. In 1995, a magnitude-7.2 quake in the western port city of Kobe killed 6,400 people.
I wonder if we have an early warning system here in CA?

If I lived in California and had a dog I would be watching my dog very closely for any strange behavior. When Mt. Pinatubo in the Philippines awoke there was an earthquake. It lasted about 1 minute. My dog was laying down and wouldn't get up when I called him. Funny thing is that the news never even reported that quake. It was enough to move one of my kids beds from one side of the room to the other. A big hanging Mirror was swaying so bad it came off the wall.

It could have been Mt. Mayon too for nobody reported it. It felt like a 7 or 8 but from researching it was either a 5.8 or 6.1.

My husband thinks that was when Mt. Pinatubo woke up because this happened in late 1984. We left the Philippines March 1985.

Last edited:
If I lived in California and had a dog I would be watching my dog very closely for any strange behavior. When Mt. Pinatubo in the Philippines awoke there was an earthquake. It lasted about 1 minute. My dog was laying down and wouldn't get up when I called him. Funny thing is that the news never even reported that quake. It was enough to move one of my kids beds from one side of the room to the other. A big hanging Mirror was swaying so bad it came off the wall.

It could have been Mt. Mayon too for nobody reported it. It felt like a 7 or 8 but from researching it was either a 5.8 or 6.1.

My husband thinks that was when Mt. Pinatubo woke up because this happened in late 1984. We left the Philippines March 1985.

The January 8, 2009(?) quake here was a 5.0 as reported by USGS. I didn't know what the heck it was until it was over. My apt shook like crazy. A loud snap preceded any real shaking. What caught my attention was the ceiling and walls were acting up, but then there was weird cacophony of noise as all the metal railings and windows in the whole building started rattling like crazy. That sort of spooked me.

:lol:

The January 8, 2009(?) quake here was a 5.0 as reported by USGS. I didn't know what the heck it was until it was over. My apt shook like crazy. A loud snap preceded any real shaking. What caught my attention was the ceiling and walls were acting up, but then there was weird cacophony of noise as all the metal railings and windows in the whole building started rattling like crazy. That sort of spooked me.

:lol:
Animals seem to detect it before humans do, that is why if you have a pet to pay attention to them. The slightest different behavior could be an indication. Example, if your dog always comes to you when you call him, and he doesn't but rather just lays down. RED FLAG.

If you are sitting right on top of a five is feels like a nine.

Ive been there.

If you are sitting right on top of a five is feels like a nine.

Ive been there.
I guess so, looking on Google map to refresh my memory, Mt. Pinatubo was very close to my house. I lived right across the street from Mimosa Golf course.

It last a very long time:

I had a water bed, it was at least midnight or later. I was in bed and thought my dog was on my bed biting for fleas because my bed was moving fast like a dog would be digging for fleas. I kept yelling to the dog about 3 times to stop. I looked over on the ground and my dog was laying there. I called for him to get up on my bed but he wouldn't move. I called to him at least 5 times.

This is when I got out of bed and I felt the ground move under my feet. Not knowing still what was going on, I walk around my bed, go out into the hallway and that is when my Maid came out of her room. We look at each other with a confused look, then we both noticed the mirror. At this point I'm starting to catch on a little but still not sure. We both ran into my son's bedroom. They had twin beds and one child's bed was sliding across the room. My maid (lol bless her heart) Jumped on top of the bed and proceeded to scream. I ran to the other bed to get my son, yelling at maid to grab son and go outside. Now I knew what was going on. As I entered their doorway it stopped.

I put the kids back in bed, turned on the radio and tv, nothing. I then called my husband who was working a midnight shift at town patrol. I asked him if he felt it, or heard about it. He said they didn't feel it nor heard.

I watched the next day and listened for any report of it but nothing. I had my house-girl, listen to local news and radio and she said nothing either.

This thing lasted a pretty long time for me to go through all those motions.

It very strong indeed. I was pissed off the next few days because my husband kept telling me it was all in my head! Nobody believed me except my maid. :lol:

We were stationed in Hawaii when Mt. Pinatubo erupted, I turned to my husband and said...THAT EARTHQUAKE! He said, you are probably right.

Last edited:
I lived in Cali most of my life.

I have been through quite a few and the worst was a 5 right under me.

epicenter is everything.

It tested my house for a BIG one and my house came out with shinning colors.

as far as i know we do.....

There's no such thing as early warning for an earthquake. They can't be predicted.

What they can do is make predictions as to what faults are "due" using the history of quakes on that fault, the amount and speed of movement in the plates that cause the faulting, any deformation surrounding the fault, the type of crust in which the fault occurs, and a whole host of other factors and calculate roughly how much stress has accumulated in the fault since it was last released versus how much stress the fault can likely withstand before it goes off.

That's how they can determine a certain fault has a certain percent chance of a certain size quake within a range of years. But there are too many known and unknown variables, that's as close as they can get at this point.

Sorry to burst your bubble, even a few minutes' warning could save a lot of lives. Maybe some day! With the number of people in the US and worldwide living in dangerous fault zones, the research should be a high priority.

There's no such thing as early warning for an earthquake.
They can't be predicted.

What they can do is make predictions as to what faults are "due" using the history of quakes on that fault, ...

Japan, has an early warning system.

Japan's early warning system predicted the earthquake just before it hit, with public broadcaster NHK interrupting a sumo match to warn residents to take cover
from the original post's link.

They can't be predicted.

What they can do is make predictions as to what faults are "due" using the history of quakes on that fault, ...

Japan's early warning system predicted the earthquake just before it hit, with public broadcaster NHK interrupting a sumo match to warn residents to take cover

That's interesting. I wonder how far that was from the epicenter?

They can't be predicted.

That's interesting. I wonder how far that was from the epicenter?

Sun Mar 14, 8:29 am ET

TOKYO – A strong magnitude 6.6 earthquake hit off the eastern coast of Japan on Sunday, rattling buildings across a broad swath of the country, including the crowded capital.

There were no reports of casualties, with only light damage to structures near the epicenter, according to local officials.

The quake hit at 5:08 p.m. and was felt most strongly in central Fukushima prefecture about 130 miles (210 kilometers) northeast of Tokyo, according to the Japan Meteorological Agency.

"It was fairly strong, but didn't knock over anything in the office," said Ken Yoshida, a town official in Naraha, one of the hardest-hit areas. He said an earthen wall in town was partially toppled.

The earthquake was centered about 50 miles (80 kilometers) off the eastern coast at a depth of about 25 miles (40 kilometers), the meteorological agency said.

The government said there was no danger of a tsunami, although slight changes to ocean levels were a possibility in some areas.

It was strong enough to gently sway large buildings in Tokyo and was felt across a broad stretch of Japan's main Honshu and northern Hokkaido islands.

Japan's early warning system predicted the earthquake just before it hit, with public broadcaster NHK interrupting a sumo match to warn residents to take cover.

The country is one of the world's most earthquake-prone countries. In 1995, a magnitude-7.2 quake in the western port city of Kobe killed 6,400 people.
:cool:

:lol: Thanks for doing my homework for me. I've got to go read up on that and how it works. If they can predict quakes now even minutes in advance that's huge. Or if they're basing a warning system on the amount of time it takes the waves to travel from the epicenter to populated areas, it's still worth doing. Thanks! :thup:

Forum List

Back