Early voting in Texas underway...

Oldguy

Sep 25, 2012
Texas
...and Obama already has 2 votes. Mine and my wife's.

The polling place was PACKED all day long, mostly with old white folks. I can't say if they were voting to keep their Social Security (Obama) or voting their fear of the President (Romney), but they're really turning out.

The polling place was PACKED all day long, mostly with old white folks. I can't say if they were voting to keep their Social Security (Obama) or voting their fear of the President (Romney), but they're really turning out.

Yep, everyone's on pins and needles to see which way Texas goes.

Yeah, no shit! :D

The last time Texas went blue was in 1976. And we all know how that turned out.

I think there's going to be some big surprises in some of the down ballot candidates. I predict a record turnout for Hispanics.

Bad news for you - my wife and I cancelled your votes out. Voted early monday morning. In Texas.

Bad news for you - my wife and I cancelled your votes out. Voted early monday morning. In Texas.

I expect every Obama vote will be cancelled out by some troglodyte in Texas.

After all, in a state where education spending consistently ranks near the very bottom, you can't expect an informed public, can you?

http://schoolfinance101.wordpress.com/2010/10/04/state-ranking-madness-who-spends-mostleast/

Last edited:

After all, in a state where education spending consistently ranks near the very bottom, you can't expect an informed public, can you?

State Ranking Madness: Who spends most/least? « School Finance 101

We must have more than enough informed voters, Texas is red state and it looks like it'll stay that way.

We must have more than enough informed voters, Texas is red state and it looks like it'll stay that way.

Texas was solidly Democrat for 100 years. Were they mis-informed, or are you modern day Republican's just smarter than them?

If you think so little of the state, then relocate.

Texas was solidly Democrat for 100 years. Were they mis-informed, or are you modern day Republican's just smarter than them?

Obviously smarter. And less racist, Jim Crow laws kept the south democratic for a long time.

Texas will go red, of course. In 2020, of course, Texas will go blue because of the massive growth of naturalized and anchor baby Tejano Americans of voting age.

Obviously smarter. And less racist, Jim Crow laws kept the south democratic for a long time.
Those same Democrats are now Republicans. Their thinking hasn't changed.

Granny says, "Dat's right - dis ain't no dictator ruled Islamic banana republic no matter how much Obamer kowtows to `em...
:clap2:
Iowa is second state to forbid international observers at elections
10/31/12 - Iowa on Wednesday became the second state to warn international election observers to stay away from its polling sites or face arrest, following Texas.
The 56-member Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) is planning on sending 150 election observers to monitor polls across the country, as it has since 2002. Their presence has become a flashpoint this year, however, as Republicans accuse Democrats of voter fraud while Democrats counter that GOP-inspired voter ID laws aim to disenfranchise minority voters. “My office met with two delegation representatives last week to discuss Iowa’s election process and it was explained to them that they are not permitted at the polls,” Iowa Secretary of State Matt Schultz, a Republican, said in a statement. “Iowa law is very specific about who is permitted at polling places, and there is no exception for members of this group.”

The statement comes after Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott sparked the OSCE's ire last week when he sent the group a letter saying its representatives “are not authorized by Texas law to enter a polling place” and that it “may be a criminal offense for OSCE’s representatives to maintain a presence within 100 feet of a polling place's entrance.” The letter prompted a furious response. “The threat of criminal sanctions against [international] observers is unacceptable,” Janez Lenarčič, the director of the OSCE Office for Democratic Institutions and Human Rights (ODIHR), said in a statement. “The United States, like all countries in the OSCE, has an obligation to invite ODIHR observers to observe its elections.”

He went on to say that the OSCE representatives “are in the United States to observe these elections, not to interfere in them.” State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland sought to tone down the controversy last week. The department is eager to avoid giving the impression that the United States is unwilling to submit to the same scrutiny it demands of others when it comes to human and civil rights. “Since the initial issue with Texas we've received a letter, both for Secretary [of State Hillary] Clinton and one for Texas authorities, from the OSCE assuring us and Texas authorities that the OSCE observers are committed to following all U.S. laws and regulations as they do in any country where they observe elections and they will do so as well in Texas,” Nuland said.

Here is the full text of Iowa's statement:

See also:

Russia Accuses U.S. of Hypocrisy Over Foreign Election Observers
November 1, 2012 – Scenting an opportunity for payback after years of criticism from Washington, Russia on Wednesday used a dispute over foreign monitoring of next week’s elections to accuse the United States of undemocratic practices and hypocrisy.
The deployment of election observers from the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE) has sparked controversy, with Texas Attorney-General Greg Abbott warning the OSCE and the Obama administration that any observer who approaches a polling station in the state risks criminal prosecution. The OSCE’s election-monitoring arm, the Office for Democratic Institutions and Human Rights (ODIHR), has been invited by the federal government to observe elections since 2002 and it says the U.S., like all OSCE partner states, has an obligation to allow the practice.

The Kremlin is no fan of the OSCE/ODIHR – which, like the U.S. government, regularly criticizes Russian elections – but it has seized on a chance to turn the spotlight onto the U.S. “It is strange why the U.S. authorities, who often accuse other countries of being not democratic enough, prefer not to notice such violation of democracy in their own country,” the Russian foreign ministry said in a statement carried by the Voice of Russia. On its Twitter account, the ministry called the situation regarding OSCE/ODIHR monitors in Texas “disturbing.” “The U.S. lectures the world on democracy and human rights, but looks only to its own laws when flaws in its voting system are pointed out,” it said, adding that “the U.S. electoral system is decentralized, fragmented and obsolete.”

The head of Russia’s election commission, Vladimir Churov, also waded in, charging in an article in the Rossiyskaya Gazeta newspaper that U.S. elections are neither transparent nor fair. He said electronic voting machines were vulnerable to manipulation, and took issue with the electoral college system, arguing “one can only talk about the American people’s right to elect their president with reservations.” (Churov is a former lawmaker with Vladimir Zhirinovsky’s ultra-nationalist Liberal-Democratic Party, a party critics say is neither liberal nor democratic. When tens of thousands Russians took to the streets last December to protest legislative elections won by Vladimir Putin’s United Russia party, Churov’s resignation was among the protest leaders’ formal demands.)

Meanwhile, Moscow Times reports that a senior lawmaker in the ruling United Russia party is urging lawmakers in the European Union to bar Abbott from traveling on the continent because of his position on the OSCE monitoring. Sergei Zheleznyak, a deputy speaker in the State Duma who co-chairs an E.U.-Russia parliamentary group, said the E.U. should apply the same standards to monitoring U.S. elections as it does to those elsewhere, including Russia. Moscow Times noted that Zheleznyak’s intervention comes amid Russian lawmakers’ unhappiness over U.S. legislation targeting Russian human rights violators, the Magnitsky Rule of Law Accountability Act. Named for Sergei Magnitsky, a Russian whistleblower who died in custody in 2009, the bipartisan bill would establish a public list of rights violators who would be denied U.S. visas and have their U.S.-based assets frozen.

MORE

Last edited:

We should replace texas with Costa Rica already.

The cowboys are a shit team.

Texas will go red, of course. In 2020, of course, Texas will go blue because of the massive growth of naturalized and anchor baby Tejano Americans of voting age.

Not sure what year it will happen, but once it does, the Republican Party is finished when it comes to winning the White House. Outside of a completely catastrophic Democratic presidency, there is no way a Republican will ever win the White House again, at least not as it is made up currently.

Not sure what year it will happen, but once it does, the Republican Party is finished when it comes to winning the White House. Outside of a completely catastrophic Democratic presidency, there is no way a Republican will ever win the White House again, at least not as it is made up currently.

You just witnessed one for four years now.

Forum List

Back