JUL 2009 + 0.8%
JUN 2009 + 2.5%
MAY 2009 +0.8%
APR 2009 + 0.8
MAR 2009 – 2.7
FEB 2009 +3.4
JAN 2009 – 5.2%

Economic Calendar: Financial Calendars - Yahoo! Finance

As you can see the Durable Goods order numbers have just been fish flopping all over the place since January of last year. They hit an ugly bottom way back in 2008.

DURABLE ORDERS (With transport) January is misleading because Boeing had missed reporting sales from the end of the year and the US told them to report all of their sales in January instead. I am not certain in which months the sales should have been listed, but January's 3% needed to be distributed.
JAN 2010 + 3.0%
DEC 2009 + 1.9%
NOV 2009 – 0.4%
OCT 2009 – 0.6%
SEP 2009 +1.0%
AUG 2009 – 2.4%

Last edited:
Well, we will find out in a few hours if our slight manufacturing increase from the bottom is translating into actual Durable Goods orders. Remember, Manufacturing is only ten percent of the economy, but we have to have manufacturing improving if we are ever going to stop the collapse in the service sector.

No jobs no consumer spending.
And if there is no spending in a Service Sector Economy there are less and less jobs.

Yepper.
it is a big beast with a lot of inertia on a slow downward spiral.

At least I am leaving my son and grangchildren a paid for place to live and land to grow food on.
And the grandkids are all set up with secure trust funds for college.
All I can do for them.
And the farm/house is set up in perputuity with residency rights but no equity loan rights so they cannot fritter it away or sell it and enough trust funds to pay the taxes for 20 years or so.

Last edited:
Positive half a percentage point. That is good. Combined with the gradual slight increase in Industrial Production (those fish flops have been getting higher), we can finally establish that there is a slight improvement to manufacturing. Again I caution that Manufacturing is only ten percent of our economy, so that increase in production has to show us a steady decrease in Unemployment Insurance claims to the 350,000 level until we can claim recovery. Right now we are still losing too many jobs as evidenced by the UI claims.

As you have witnessed with your own eyes, to get the Unemployment numbers below double digits, they have been dropping people off of the Unemployment list by saying that they are no longer in the workforce. That, of course is a damned lie, but that is what government does. Actual Unemployment is about 29 percent. There are Millions of people who want a job who are not being counted.

Positive half a percentage point. That is good. Combined with the gradual slight increase in Industrial Production (those fish flops have been getting higher), we can finally establish that there is a slight improvement to manufacturing. Again I caution that Manufacturing is only ten percent of our economy, so that increase in production has to show us a steady decrease in Unemployment Insurance claims to the 350,000 level until we can claim recovery. Right now we are still losing too many jobs as evidenced by the UI claims.

As you have witnessed with your own eyes, to get the Unemployment numbers below double digits, they have been dropping people off of the Unemployment list by saying that they are no longer in the workforce. That, of course is a damned lie, but that is what government does. Actual Unemployment is about 29 percent. There are Millions of people who want a job who are not being counted.

Count me in that 29% mix.

Yes, I have created my own job, and yes it does keep a roof over my head, but it's not remotely bringing in as much cash as I made, not even the cash I regularly made a couple decades ago.

But at my age, I suspect I am now a permanent member of the unemployable class unless I luck out somehow.

Face it, there are just way more qualified workers and management types than billets to fill, folks.

Between outsourcing, automation, and of course the economic meltdown, the employment picture doesn't look like it's going to get better anytime soon.

No jobs no consumer spending.
And if there is no spending in a Service Sector Economy there are less and less jobs.

Yepper.
it is a big beast with a lot of inertia on a slow downward spiral.

At least I am leaving my son and grangchildren a paid for place to live and land to grow food on.
And the grandkids are all set up with secure trust funds for college.
All I can do for them.
And the farm/house is set up in perputuity with residency rights but no equity loan rights so they cannot fritter it away or sell it and enough trust funds to pay the taxes for 20 years or so.

very smart usc

Forum List

Back