Dungeons and Dragons (Game)

I got into D&D due to Dragonlance.

Dragonlance couldn't be made today though, the books and game had a race of Dwarves that have a intellectual disability(Gully Dwarves)

I bet you would feel like shit if you had to roll a brand new level 1 character right now.

Well ... I think it is safe to say that I am nothing like you ... :auiqs.jpg:

I will not only roll up new character in heartbeat ... But I have done it so many times ... I don't even need a printed Character Sheet ...
And can start three new characters on the same sheet of graph paper.
Why waste extra paper and toner ... Just so you can erase a hole in your Character Sheet ... Because your Character is advancing?

Shoot ... We'll roll up 50 new Characters ... Break into teams of 5 ... And run a military style Campaign up the Bamboo River.
Off the Sword Coast ... On the North side of the Azure Sea ... From where the river dumps into the ocean ... To where it originates in the mountains.
Killing every ... Shag nasty, Orc, Ogre, Giant, Dragon, Pirate, Bandit ... Basically anything they come across that needs to die.

52658646114_0d7df93099_z.jpg

And I have record of every swing they took ... Every spell they cast ... Every item they used ... Everything they picked up ...
Every piece of gold they got ... Every person they met and every place they went ... And even draw the "maps".

In the Bamboo River Campaign ... 40 of the 50 were still alive when they got to the end of the river ...
They went to the Azurian Tropics ... Cleared that place out and built an Empire.

52658646224_6af528b10d_z.jpg

There's the 40 that lived through the Bamboo River Campaign ... That's just the quick reference ...
So I know where to find their Character Sheets ... And have the Basic Description handy.

Most People's Characters lack Creativity ... Story ... Ambition ... And Direction ... And that's where the DM comes in.

I have had Characters that started as slaves ... Chained to a ship ... Sinking in a Winter storm ... In the Artic Regions.
I have had Characters ... That were a few teenagers ... Sick of doing chores on the farm ... Steal a boat and hit the sea ...
Just to see what is around the corner.

I am not entirely sure we have actually played ... The Same Game ... Rolling up new Characters is nothing ...
One of your Characters might be dead within the first 15 minutes ... In one of our games ...
:auiqs.jpg:

The ones that live are worth every bit of it ... And they have a story.
It's just a game ... Roll the dice ... How you play it makes all the difference.

Last edited:

Well ... I think it is safe to say that I am nothing like you ... :auiqs.jpg:

I will not only roll up new character in heartbeat ... But I have done it so many times ... I don't even need a printed Character Sheet ...
And can start three new characters on the same sheet of graph paper.
Why waste extra paper and toner ... Just so you can erase a hole in your Character Sheet ... Because your Character is advancing?

Shoot ... I roll up 50 new Characters ... Break into teams of 5 ... And run a military style Campaign up the Bamboo River.
Off the Sword Coast ... On the North side of the Azure Sea ... From where the river dumps into the ocean ... To where it originates in the mountains.
Killing every ... Shag nasty, Orc, Ogre, Giant, Dragon, Pirate, Bandit ... Basically anything they come across that needs to die.

52658646114_0d7df93099_z.jpg

And I have record of every swing they took ... Every spell they cast ... Every item they used ... Everything they picked up ...
Every piece of gold they got ... Every person they met and every place they went ... And even draw the "maps".

In the Bamboo River Campaign ... 40 of the 50 were still alive when they got to the end of the river ...
They went to the Azurian Tropics ... Cleared that place out and built an Empire.

52658646224_6af528b10d_z.jpg

There's the 40 that lived through the Bamboo River Campaign ... That's just the quick reference ...
So I know where to find their Character Sheets ... And have the Basic Description handy.

Most People's Characters lack Creativity ... Story ... Ambition ... And Direction ... And that's where the DM comes in.

I have had Characters that started as slaves ... Chained to a ship ... Sinking in a Winter storm ... In the Artic Regions.
I have had Characters ... That were a few teenagers ... Sick of doing chores on the farm ... Steal a boat and hit the sea ...
Just to see what is around the corner.

I am not entirely sure we have actually played ... The Same Game ... Rolling up new Characters is nothing ...
One of your Characters might be dead within the first 15 minutes ... In one of our games ...
:auiqs.jpg:

The ones that live are worth every bit of it ... And they have a story.

Damn, our dungeons were tunnels, always tunnels like a maze, we were doing it wrong! :aargh:

You play like it should be played..lol!

Damn, our dungeons were tunnels, always tunnels like a maze, we were doing it wrong! :aargh:

Oh ... There are those too ... And that's not wrong.

My Characters tend to have a bit of Ambition though ... A bar fight can turn into a Brawl with the City Guard ...
Characters going to prison ... And need to be broken out before they are hung in the morning.

And that can happen on the way to the Dungeon and the Tunnels ...
It might be better you play Chaotic Good Characters ... They are more likely to stay out of trouble ... :auiqs.jpg:

You play like it should be played..lol!

And ... There is a "story" to everything.

Like ... If you look at the final breakdown reference above ... Of the 40 that survived ... Team 4 and last man listed ...
"Skunk" ... Is a 9th Level Fighter ... Who doesn't really like bathing.
Trooping through the jungle ... Killing ogres and orcs ... Can get your character pretty funky ... So they nicknamed him "Skunk".

They usually make him stand outside the Tavern ... And sleep in the Stables ...
Until they can sneak up on him and wrestle him into a lake or a pond ... :auiqs.jpg:

Make your characters ... Different ... Interesting ...
And sometimes a challenge to play.

Give Them Character

Last edited:
This is a thread specifically about the game not about the movies coming out or the upcoming one. I started learning a tad bit about it this weekend over at my fiancée's house like the dice and the kinds of characters there are, but I have yet to make a character myself and I'm going to wait for that when I'm over for the week.

Anyways, is there any current players of the game because I didn't realize that there were so much information that you needed to know before you could actually start playing it. I think that I would like to be a halfling unless you can make up your own category and be a witch or a princess or something since I didn't see one of those kinds of characters listed.

I'm in a 1e AD&D game, and was actually a 5e playtester. Not knowing what edition makes answering anything tough.

Not sure, we only went over stuff in the books about them right now. I haven't seen the actual game yet. I'm also still trying to figure out different benefits for different characters and if they can use any weapon or does each specific character have a specific weapon or weapons.

Generally (regardless of edition) fighters have the best selection. (Usually, any weapons.) Priests are next, then rogues-weapon selection is mostly a wash, but priests generally fight better. Smallest selection and worst combat ability goes to wizards.

Race is important. You ask why anyone would want to be human? I assume its similar in 5.0, but humans in 3.5 get a bonus feat at 1st level and they get extra skill points. Humans are actually pretty great. All races have their upsides. Orcs are strong, halflings are small and nimble, dwarves are tough, etc.

For 1e and 2e AD&D, two things. One was that only humans had unlimited advancement in all classes. The other is that magic items found (armor, robes, cloaks) are more likely to fit humans than anyone else.

Yeah, I got interested in it back when it was in its heyday.

Somebody who was into the game heavily.........I can't remember, possibly a Mage or Wizard in Training or something.
Anyway, he showed me the three books he had to read and memorize before he could become the Game Master/Dungeon Master.

"Books" is a frail description..........these fucking things were 4 inches thick or more!!!!! One was rules, one was scenarios, and one was characters and powers.

Fuck that shit!!!

I told him I'd just stick with checkers. :auiqs.jpg:

Pablum. The largest book for 1e was the DMG, about an inch thick. No memorization needed.

You guys are still playing old school AD&D? Holy shit! I havent played that since the 80's, lol!

My next game is this weekend. I'm going to GaryCon in March. There is a large old-school D&D community, mostly several forums. One of the editors for OSRIC (repackaged AD&D 1e, done as a way to legally publish new content) runs the game I'm in.

I've never seen that b4. :eek:

This is what I'm talking about:

The Monstrous Manual is 2e. Your line is the first (Sutherland cover) 1e Monster Manual. (The more-common later prints had a cover by Jeff Easley, the "red dragon" cover.)

See ... You are wrong again ... Because it is not Evil ... In any way.

Good and Evil are easier to play ...
Chaotic Neutral is not easy to play.

For CN, try channeling Catwoman, Star Trek's Q or Cyrano Jones, or Harry Potter's Peeves.

Forum List

Back