Duel booting with Windows 10

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
So the wife finally had enough with windows and wants Linux.
So I set it up...everything fine.
Weird thing...when you shut the laptop... when you open it back up if it has been a little while - the Grub menu comes up, rather than come out of sleep.
Whichever OS you choose it comes back quickly as if it was merely in sleep mode. How can two operating systems be in sleep mode at the same time?? I didn't know that was even possible.

Weird thing...when you shut the laptop... when you open it back up if it has been a little while - the Grub menu comes up, rather than come out of sleep.
Whichever OS you choose it comes back quickly as if it was merely in sleep mode. How can two operating systems be in sleep mode at the same time?? I didn't know that was even possible.

The sleep function (closing the lid) usually applies to the piece of hardware (hibernation mode).
Sounds right that the bootstrap that loads both OS would come up first since a closing of the lid is essentially shutting down most of the OS.

I haven't done a dual boot since the advent of virtualization software.

Last edited:

The sleep function (closing the lid) usually applies to the piece of hardware (hibernation mode).
Sounds right that the bootstrap that loads both OS would come up first since a closing of the lid is essentially shutting down most of the OS.

I haven't done a dual boot since the advent of virtualization software.
I have dual booted for many years, including laptops.
This is the first time ever that both OS's can hibernate simultaneously. Just curious as to when they did that. I would assume it has something to do with quick boot, but I have that disabled.
I like it for sure, especially Windows. We all know how painfully slow Win10 boots up on a conventional HD, so being able to switch between the two so much quicker is nice.

I haven't dual booted in a decade, I don't remember having seen that before.

You will figure it out sooner or later.

there is always the nuclear option.

Forum List

Back