Dry bean yield?

Sep 2, 2020
Texas
I've been searching around in books and on Google to see if I can get a good estimate for dry bean yield, either per plant or per pound seed. Does anyone here have that data from their own gardens?

I've been searching around in books and on Google to see if I can get a good estimate for dry bean yield, either per plant or per pound seed. Does anyone here have that data from their own gardens?
Google translate and a calculator handy ?

I never measured. It's not a whole lot compared to the size of the plant and space it takes. My opinion anyway.

I never measured. It's not a whole lot compared to the size of the plant and space it takes. My opinion anyway.

Lord yes. The lima beans in particular take up a massive amount of space and take forever and a day just to get maybe a quart of the shelled beans.

Lord yes. The lima beans in particular take up a massive amount of space and take forever and a day just to get maybe a quart of the shelled beans.

Shelling is a chore too. I like those big Italian beans, kinda mottled maroon, big as a kidney bean. Make cold bean salad, lots garlic :) Now a few specialty beans, cool. I did live in Maine 10 years, was a farm in Dexter sold beans, same kind as this site. I recommend trying, love the soldier beans, yellow eye. These are the best beans ever. Heirloom Beans, yellow eyed beans, soldier beans, dried beans

Shelling is a chore too. I like those big Italian beans, kinda mottled maroon, big as a kidney bean. Make cold bean salad, lots garlic :) Now a few specialty beans, cool. I did live in Maine 10 years, was a farm in Dexter sold beans, same kind as this site. I recommend trying, love the soldier beans, yellow eye. These are the best beans ever. Heirloom Beans, yellow eyed beans, soldier beans, dried beans

I buy a pound or two of yellow eyes a year for cooking (not growing). To me they are almost black-eyed pea like in their texture. Can't get them around my town anywhere that I know of. I usually pick them up at a farmer stand or the other I go to up around the blue ridge parkway.

I buy a pound or two of yellow eyes a year for cooking (not growing). To me they are almost black-eyed pea like in their texture. Can't get them around my town anywhere that I know of. I usually pick them up at a farmer stand or the other I go to up around the blue ridge parkway.

Yes close but I believe a firmer bean, like more fiber. Soldier beans very good too and similar. They can always be ordered from several places.

Yes close but I believe a firmer bean, like more fiber. Soldier beans very good too and similar. They can always be ordered from several places.

I see them in seed catalogs but I like mushier beans because they do better with making the pot broth-y. the red and white lima beans are the only ones I fool with from time to time as far as growing as i can run them up and along a fence without the deer being able to do much real damage to them.

I see them in seed catalogs but I like mushier beans because they do better with making the pot broth-y. the red and white lima beans are the only ones I fool with from time to time as far as growing as i can run them up and along a fence without the deer being able to do much real damage to them.

Yup, mushier makes a brothier soup. Made "frioles charros" It's a Mex bean soup, I use small navy beans for that, passilo, onion, bacon, some dry NM chillies, very good especially in this kind of weather. We like limas too.

Rancho Gordo is the best source we've found for mail-order beans to plant, and information about beans, especially heirloom

Forum List

Back