Drug war

Questioner

Nov 26, 2019
What is your opinion on the drug war - do you believe substances themselves are the main source of addictions, or that addition is more of a human problem, and the substances are a symptom rather than a source? As well as non-illegal addictions, such as tobacco and alcohol, or others.

I'm aware of organizations like Alcoholics Anonyous - some of the members believe they have a strong genetic disposition towards alcoholism (which I've heard may be the case of Native Americans), but that this varies - some people are merely "social drinkers", for example, not people who can't live without the substance.

What is your opinion on the drug war - do you believe substances themselves are the main source of addictions, or that addition is more of a human problem, and the substances are a symptom rather than a source? As well as non-illegal addictions, such as tobacco and alcohol, or others.

I'm aware of organizations like Alcoholics Anonyous - some of the members believe they have a strong genetic disposition towards alcoholism (which I've heard may be the case of Native Americans), but that this varies - some people are merely "social drinkers", for example, not people who can't live without the substance.

There has never been a "war on drugs"
If there's a war on drugs then there's a war on rape, a war on murder, a war on drunk driving...etc etc
The Left like to refer to the imposition of law and order as a "War on ______" if it may stop them from feeling good about their filthy habits and behaviors.

• Banned

If there's a war on drugs then there's a war on rape, a war on murder, a war on drunk driving...etc etc
The Left like to refer to the imposition of law and order as a "War on ______" if it may stop them from feeling good about their filthy habits and behaviors.
Don't be so hard on yourself. As far as I'm aware of, it's not a "left/right" issue to begin with. I doubt you've even read the Common Law (state law) and how it originated, or understand the court processes - there's a book on it by Oliver Wendall Holmes you can read, if your reading level is high enough.

(Hint, most of it manifested from the precedents of British judges, some of which had some ties to Jeremy Bentham and those of the "utilitarian" philosophy, which is associated with modern liberal and progressive beliefs, as opposed to the conservative tradition, like that of Russel Kirk).

Don't be so hard on yourself. As far as I'm aware of, it's not a "left/right" issue to begin with. I doubt you've even read the Common Law (state law) and how it originated, or understand the court processes - there's a book on it by Oliver Wendall Holmes you can read, if your reading level is high enough.

(Hint, most of it manifested from the precedents of British judges, some of which had some ties to Jeremy Bentham and those of the "utilitarian" philosophy, which is associated with modern liberal and progressive beliefs, as opposed to the conservative tradition, like that of Russel Kirk).

Look bud, you asked and I answered.
Your motive is clear; I'm certain you're not a lowlife, degenerate drug user...haha.....So what are your drugs of choice?

To me, its more of a human problem. I was just now thinking of late country legend Keith Whitley and how bad his drinking habit was. If an actual bottle of liquor wasn't within his reach, he would go for whatever else was which included things like men's cologne.

God bless you and his family always!!!

Holly

• Banned

Look bud, you asked and I answered.
Your motive is clear; I'm certain you're not a lowlife, degenerate drug user...haha.....So what are your drugs of choice?
Fair enough - my drug is knowledge.

• Banned

To me, its more of a human problem. I was just now thinking of late country legend Keith Whitley and how bad his drinking habit was. If an actual bottle of liquor wasn't within his reach, he would go for whatever else was which included things like men's cologne.

Holly
As far as I'm aware of, drug use is more associated with poverty and low education, much like abortion is, than anything "political".

Much as I don't consider the Common Law or its policies on drugs a political thing, as much as just a pragmatic institution.

I don't find drugs or viewing them as a be-all-end-all life pursuit appealing, no. I have no comment on specific drugs (e.x. marijuana) and their effects - they never appealed to me. Or legal addictions with rampant effects, such as obesity (e.x. food addition), which seems to me to be more of a problem in every day life than illegal drug use anyway.

I think that people who have no morals or purpose in life will look to fill it with some void, be it illegal drugs, binge TV watching, obesity-educing food, or anything else.

Holly
As far as I'm aware of, drug use is more associated with poverty and low education, much like abortion is, than anything "political".

Much as I don't consider the Common Law or its policies on drugs a political thing, as much as just a pragmatic institution.

I don't find drugs or viewing them as a be-all-end-all life pursuit appealing, no. I have no comment on specific drugs (e.x. marijuana) and their effects - they never appealed to me. Or legal addictions with rampant effects, such as obesity (e.x. food addition), which seems to me to be more of a problem in every day life than illegal drug use anyway.

I think that people who have no morals or purpose in life will look to fill it with some void, be it illegal drugs, binge TV watching, obesity-educing food, or anything else.
Poverty and low education? Hollywood actors and so-called rock stars probably account for 80% of imported hard drugs including heroin and cocaine. They protect each other from arrest and are protected by sycophant fans and government agents. If chronic drug abuse prevented induction into the R&R hall of fame it would be one big empty hall.

I'm aware of organizations like Alcoholics Anonyous [sic] - some of the members believe they have a strong genetic disposition towards alcoholism (which I've heard may be the case of Native Americans), but that this varies - some people are merely "social drinkers", for example, not people who can't live without the substance.

It seems very clear to be that drug abuse (including alcohol and tobacco) is very harmful, not just to individuals who engage in it, but to those with whom they associate, and to society as a whole, and that society has a legitimate interest in doing whatever it reasonably can to discourage it.

The current approach is to treat it as a criminal problem, to treat the manufacture, distribution, and use of certain drugs (oddly, turning a blind eye to tobacco and alcohol) as crimes, and to punish those caught doing so as criminals. This is most likely a manifestation the cliché about how, when the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail, government's primary tool being the enactment and enforcement of laws. I'm not solidly convinced that this is the best way to deal with this problem. Coming up with a better way is far outside of my own expertise, but I am open to the idea that there is a better way to discourage drug abuse and to mitigate the harm that it causes to individuals and to society.

Poverty and low education? Hollywood actors and so-called rock stars probably account for 80% of imported hard drugs including heroin and cocaine. They protect each other from arrest and are protected by sycophant fans and government agents. If chronic drug abuse prevented induction into the R&R hall of fame it would be one big empty hall.

It is certainly noticeable, that when someone famous dies at too young an age, it almost always turns out that drugs were involved.

Holly

It's been posted on USMB before and the report was verified. I don't remember which forum or the date but it was an account of Hillary's drug use.

Starting when Bill was governor of Arkansas, she was heavily into cocaine and other drugs. She hated Bill's brother Roger but was dependent upon him for her drugs. After they came to the White House, Vince Foster was her procurer until he was Arkansided. I know some people here will remember the OP and posts. I don't remember how Bill was included but he and Hillary were stoned hippies during the sixties and early seventies.They also are part of the protected class.

well it probably is a mix of both (source and human or genetic weaknesses)

If you are predisposed to easily becoming addicted then you will become addicted to something

Still if drugs, alcohol, gambling, smoking, and other self inflicted or abusive behavior centered on ones, self worth were not easily available or encouraged then it may be enough to save some.

I do believe that people are different in their susceptibility to these thing

Most people try and do the above but they all do not become addictive to it.

So why do some become addicted and others just finally say no mas

Is it the support they have from others who encourage them to give up these items vs the enablers who pat them on the back for using these things

Still the availability of these items are based on demand and if there is no demand then they disappear

source would be the easiest to tackle and remove even as there will those who say that it infringes about their personal freedom

but even kids have to be told what to do. So even with alcoholic beverages some do not become addicted to it and enjoy it in moderation or on occasion.

Still there are a lot of organization that will provide help to those who want it. So it is a matter of wanting it and sometimes they are mandated especially if you had a run in with the law or an intervention or professional help

Prohibition is a continued failure of a social experiment.
No shortage of Behavioral Control Technicians from either side of the aisle demanding the Nanny State think and act in behalf of the individual.
Demand will never be legislated away.

Last edited:

well it probably is a mix of both (source and human or genetic weaknesses)

If you are predisposed to easily becoming addicted then you will become addicted to something

Still if drugs, alcohol, gambling, smoking, and other self inflicted or abusive behavior centered on ones, self worth were not easily available or encouraged then it may be enough to save some.

I do believe that people are different in their susceptibility to these thing

Most people try and do the above but they all do not become addictive to it.

So why do some become addicted and others just finally say no mas

Is it the support they have from others who encourage them to give up these items vs the enablers who pat them on the back for using these things

Still the availability of these items are based on demand and if there is no demand then they disappear

source would be the easiest to tackle and remove even as there will those who say that it infringes about their personal freedom

but even kids have to be told what to do. So even with alcoholic beverages some do not become addicted to it and enjoy it in moderation or on occasion.

Still there are a lot of organization that will provide help to those who want it. So it is a matter of wanting it and sometimes they are mandated especially if you had a run in with the law or an intervention or professional help
Other than adolescent immaturity, I've never understood what the attraction to "drugs" as a whole are, particularily as a lifestyle, and am glad I never had any particular interest in finding out.

I do believe the "drug problem" is more rampant than people are willing to admit, and I prefer not to waste time on idiots (e.x. not referring to you, no) who merely make stereotypical references to "drugs" without any facts, history, or information to back it up. "Drugs" is really just a subject I prefer not to talk about, same as "alcohol".

You almost gotta gasp at the hypocrisy. Federal, state and local governments are enacting laws and confiscatory taxes designed to eliminate cigarette smoking while the crazies apparently want to legalize marijuana and hard drugs.

Forum List

Back