Drones strike Moscow in first attack on Russian capital’s residential areas since Ukraine war began

toomuchtime_

Gold Member
Dec 29, 2008
Moscow was hit by drones Tuesday morning, in what appeared to be the first attack on residential areas of the Russian capital since the invasion of Ukraine.

It comes weeks after an alleged drone attack on the Kremlin itself and following days of deadly Russian bombardment against civilians in Kyiv, as events far from the front lines take the spotlight ahead of Ukraine’s planned counteroffensive.

Tuesday's incident caused damage to some buildings in Moscow and forced residents to evacuate homes, officials said, though the Kremlin largely shrugged off the dramatic display that its war was increasingly coming home.

Russian President Vladimir Putin said the attack sought to intimidate the public, and commended the work of the capital’s air defense.

The Russian Defense Ministry said in a statement Tuesday that eight unmanned aerial vehicles were involved in the strikes. All drones were destroyed, it added, with three losing control after being jammed and the other five shot down by anti-aircraft systems.

The ministry blamed Ukraine for what it called a “terrorist attack.”

Ukrainian presidential adviser Mykhailo Podolyak said in an interview that his country "has nothing directly to do" with the drone attacks on Moscow but was "pleased to observe and predict an increase in the number of attacks."

Other sources say three drones got through Russia's air defenses, but the extent of the damage is unknown. The area hit is home to the rich and powerful in Moscow. Putin has his residence there and many government agencies have offices there.

This story might be helpful for understanding the situation.
Not payback, but making the war real for the rich and powerful decision makers in Moscow. Contrary to RT's report, Russian air defenses were unable to stop all the drones, some of the mansions of the very rich and powerful were damaged, people were evacuated and sought medical care.

Not payback, but making the war real for the rich and powerful decision makers in Moscow. Contrary to RT's report, Russian air defenses were unable to stop all the drones, some of the mansions of the very rich and powerful were damaged, people were evacuated and sought medical care.
You make a good point on the attempt to change the attitudes of the very wealthy Moscow residents, even though I would say it's a bit over the top to suggest it.

For something more to the point: We're bombarded with propaganda that says both sides' missiles and drones are being shot down.

Which story is the most comfortable to buy into?

With the story on the Patriots vs. the Kinzhals, at least there was video evidence that appeared to tell the story!

The USA does not target civilians... so why are we financing it?....
Its disgusting what has happened to my country....
To the victor will go the pleasure of convicting and executing the war criminals for their crimes they've committed during this current holocaust.

Now that Putin and your other butt buddies in Moscow are running for their lives, you have a sudden interest in war crimes?
Nope jackass... I have been calling Putin a war criminal since he invaded Crimea with Obama's and Biden's blessing.....
And now we are financing a war criminal... so what does that make us?....

You make a good point on the attempt to change the attitudes of the very wealthy Moscow residents, even though I would say it's a bit over the top to suggest it.

For something more to the point: We're bombarded with propaganda that says both sides' missiles and drones are being shot down.

Which story is the most comfortable to buy into?

With the story on the Patriots vs. the Kinzhals, at least there was video evidence that appeared to tell the story!
RT is purely a propaganda organ, so it would be foolish to turn to it for news, but there are stories from all over the world that state Moscow was hit by the drones.

Nope jackass... I have been calling Putin a war criminal since he invaded Crimea with Obama's and Biden's blessing.....
And now we are financing a war criminal... so what does that make us?....
There is no moral equivalence between Russia bombing random residential areas and this drone attack, which Ukraine does not accept responsibility for, on the residences of Putin and the other rich and powerful people in Moscow who are making this war. Would it have been a war crime to have killed Hitler and other Nazi leaders?

If we continue to finance this war for Ukraine after they targeted civilians with our equipment we are no better than Putin.....
Well, you're no better than Putin, since you are such a big fan of Russian imperialism, but the Ukrainians are clearly morally superior to both of you.

Wow, I didn't realize that Ukraine had its own drones!
Well then you are woefully uninformed.
No, wait-- -- I bet they were US made and supplied drones.

So in effect, we just declared war against Russia.

Good one, Joe.
Stupid. These were most likely UJ-22's. Scaredycat Joe hasn't provided anything with near the range to reach Moscow.

Forum List

Back