Driving the 2021 Infiniti Q50

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
2021 INFINITI Q50.jpg

On our trip to NC this past long weekend, we rented a 2021 Infiniti Q50 with the 3.0 Turbo

Initial opinion... for a luxury sport sedan, it doesn't impress a lot. The 2020 Fusion Titanium we rented a year ago, beats the socks off this car. In every way.
The only real pro about this car is the 300t engine. Responsive, quick and the 7 speed transmission shifts effortlessly. Seriously, you can hardly tell when it shifts unless you give it a lot of throttle and it shifts down several gears.
The ride is stiff and neither of us liked the steering at all. A word I would use "herky jerky". When you are driving on an interstate where there is construction and the lanes are tight.... you don't feel safe. It is overly responsive.
The seats are not very comfortable after several hours of driving. We both found our legs and back were getting tired and sore only after driving as little as a couple hours. The display/controls are horrible, confusing and laid out just weird. When you want to turn the defroster on, you literally have to reach over on the far side of the controls, and find it among 6 other buttons that look/feel identical.

The sensory/safety driving experience.
The 2021 is equipped with sensory "auto" driving.
Essentially it will cut off your throttle and if that isn't enough, apply brakes to even completely stop the car if anything gets in front of you... including braking cars ahead of you. A nice feature, I will admit it noticed, and cut off the gas faster than my own response when a car in front of is applied brakes fairly hard. It works well. And did apply brakes for me once when some moron ahead of us braked hard after he/she apparently almost missed their turn.
This is a nice feature.

All in all. A disappointment. Not at all good for long trips, steering is funky and the controls are some of the worst I have ever seen.

Cheers

With only two data points (Ford Fusion and Infinite Q50), it is not possible to assess your ability to present a meaningful evaluation. Rating the Ford better seems rather perverse (although I haven't driven either one).

Forum List

Back